Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5
Seems like more open land use policy is working, because everywhere I look now, I see a 4 to 6 story low rise going up. ChangingCity might say otherwise though.
|
I think you're seeing a lot of 4 to six storey buildings being built. I would credit the City's 'Housing Vancouver Strategy' introduced at the end of the Vision Council era, in 2017, and then turned into detailed policies in the Kennedy Stewart Council that saw the
Secured Rental Policy adopted, and then a variety of additional policy moves to allow rental buildings to go bigger than strata buildings with either an outline rezoning (with no design work needed), or from 2021 to go straight to DP. Most of those buildings are 6 storey, with a concrete main floor of commercial and woodframe apartments above, and there are over 5,000 units in around 100 buildings approved in less than five years.
I'm not sure if that's a 'more open land use policy'? I think I'd view it as a targeted series of policies to encourage more rental housing to be built, particularly on arterials, with greater height allowed if 20% of the units are leased below market. For the past three years rental housing starts were over 60% of the total in the city, and in the first half of this year it's 73%, far higher than in the rest of Metro Vancouver.