HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #661  
Old Posted Jul 21, 2026, 4:11 AM
sopas ej's Avatar
sopas ej sopas ej is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: South Pasadena, California
Posts: 8,186
Some very random pics... haven't been really taking a lot of pics in the past month. Been very busy. What few I did take, very mundane. But then most of my pics are mundane anyway.

Loafers, white socks, and shorts... is he from Paris?

Photo by me

The things you learn from reading the back of a bus.

Photo by me


Photo by me


Photo by me


Photo by me

Went and saw "The Odyssey" on Saturday. We got there a little early, so we went to the bar and each got a drink.

Photo by me

I got a rum punch.

Photo by me

Is it just me, or can Matt Damon do a biopic of Kenny Rogers?

"I know it's late... I know you're weary..."

Photo: Universal Pictures


Photo by me


Photo by me

I had sand dabs for dinner this evening.

Photo by me

You know you're in SoCal if the restaurant you're at has Tapatío on the table.

Photo by me

One of the local donut shops in my town has tres leches muffins. I have yet to try them.

Photo by me


Photo by me
__________________
"I guess the only time people think about injustice is when it happens to them."

~ Charles Bukowski
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #662  
Old Posted Aug 9, 2026, 4:47 PM
sopas ej's Avatar
sopas ej sopas ej is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: South Pasadena, California
Posts: 8,186
Had my car serviced yesterday (oil change and tire rotation).

So after dropping it off at the garage, I walked some blocks and got a cold-brew coffee.

Photo by me


Photo by me


Photo by me

And before I knew it, I got a call from the mechanic telling me my car was ready. I wasn't even halfway done with my coffee. Usually they take at least 90 minutes, but my car was ready in about an hour. Must not have been a busy morning at the garage!
__________________
"I guess the only time people think about injustice is when it happens to them."

~ Charles Bukowski
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #663  
Old Posted Aug 17, 2026, 1:30 AM
sopas ej's Avatar
sopas ej sopas ej is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: South Pasadena, California
Posts: 8,186
Random redundant photo dump of my Sunday, today, 8.16.2026.

My partner and I went to brunch, around 10 am-ish.

Photo by me


Photo by me

Artwork for sale at the restaurant.

Photo by me

I had a breakfast burrito.

Photo by me

View from the coffeeshop.

Photo by me

Went to the bookstore afterwards.

Photo by me


Photo by me

The bookstore made us want to go to the Los Angeles Central Library downtown. So we went.

Who says they're not filming in LA anymore? They still are.

Photo by me


Photo by me

The Los Angeles Central Library turned 100 years old last month.

Photo by me

They currently have the world's largest pop-up book in the rotunda.

Photo by me


Photo by me


Photo by me

In one of the display galleries, they have an exhibit of the first 100 years of the current library building. Very interesting. Plus, I've always had a thing for the 1920s.

Photo by me


Photo by me


Photo by me


Photo by me

Then...

Photo by me

...and Now.

Photo by me

Departing trains, Los Angeles, 1924. Pre-Union Station, of course, which didn't open until 1939.

Photo by me


Photo by me


Photo by me


Photo by me


Photo by me


Photo by me


Photo by me

Then...

Photo by me

...and Now.

Photo by me


Photo by me


Photo by me


Photo by me


Photo by me

The PoMo 1990s addition.

Photo by me

I stepped outside for a bit.

Photo by me


Photo by me


Photo by me


Photo by me

The group on the right was taking an architectural tour. There were actually quite a number of architectural tours of the library going on today, I assume because the building turned 100. It's nice that many people are interested in the architecture and history of the building.

Photo by me


Photo by me


Photo by me


Photo by me


Photo by me


Photo by me


Photo by me


Photo by me


Photo by me


Photo by me


Photo by me

Another architectural tour group.

Photo by me


Photo by me
__________________
"I guess the only time people think about injustice is when it happens to them."

~ Charles Bukowski
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #664  
Old Posted Aug 17, 2026, 5:35 AM
ChrisLA's Avatar
ChrisLA ChrisLA is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: San Fernando Valley
Posts: 6,730
Nice, and to think they tried to demolish this beautiful building and even try to destroy it by fire (arson). I used to take the bus to downtown LA as a teenager, especially during the summer months to escape the depressing conditions of the poor neighborhood of Watts that I mostly grew up in. I spent many hours looking at travel/pictorial books and daydream of the day I could afford to travel and see the world (mostly NYC, Chicago, Philly, Bostone, etc). I would check out the books that were allowed for the public to take home, and the rest I would just spend hours at the central library looking over the ones you couldn't take home. I haven't been here in a while, but the thought to visit every now and then still pops up in my head to go visit one day soon.

It's such a great place to visit, and what a gem it is.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #665  
Old Posted Aug 17, 2026, 5:42 PM
Wigs's Avatar
Wigs Wigs is offline
Great White North
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Niagara Region
Posts: 16,605
DTLA doesn't get enough love. While certainly not NY nor Chicago, it has a cool vibe and interesting architecture and topography.

It will always have a special place in my heart as it's one of the last places I toured with my Dad on vacation a few years before he passed away. We took the light rail err Metro from Monrovia where my brother was living at the time. At Union station transferred to the subway which we took to Pershing Square. My first glimpse surfacing to street level was way more folks walking around DTLA than expected. This was 2019. I recall many construction cranes and signs of redevelopment.
We were fortunate enough to see the views from the observation decks at both City Hall and the US Bank/Library tower Skyspace when the 70th story outdoor slide was there! We walked through the library, lobby of the Biltmore hotel, Grand Central market, wanted to ride Angel's Flight but it was out of service. Saw lots of cool things including The Last Bookstore and even had a late lunch at Olvera Street, some place that had been open since the 1930s.

Thanks for sharing all of the photos.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #666  
Old Posted Aug 17, 2026, 9:25 PM
ethereal_reality's Avatar
ethereal_reality ethereal_reality is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lafayette/West Lafayette IN, Purdue U.
Posts: 18,010
.
Fantastic photographs of the library, sopas-ej.

.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #667  
Old Posted Aug 23, 2026, 7:11 AM
sopas ej's Avatar
sopas ej sopas ej is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: South Pasadena, California
Posts: 8,186
Thanks for the comments!

@ethereal: Thank you! I thought of posting those thens and nows in the noirish LA thread, but then I thought 'nah, they're not TOO interesting...'

@ChrisLA: I wish I was able to see the Central Library pre-arson fires, so I could have compared it to how it looked then vs. now. I love the Central Library, and as a library it is definitely not "obsolete."

@Wigs: Reading what you said actually made me tear up a little; it's nice that you got to enjoy that time with your dad on vacation before he passed away. Myself, my parents are in their 80s, and I've been spending more time with them in recent years, just to spend more time with them. My partner had a health scare earlier this week too, so... it's been an emotional week for me.
__________________
"I guess the only time people think about injustice is when it happens to them."

~ Charles Bukowski
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #668  
Old Posted Sep 10, 2026, 3:48 AM
sopas ej's Avatar
sopas ej sopas ej is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: South Pasadena, California
Posts: 8,186
Random photos... concentrating on my immediate neighborhood in South Pasadena.

An early morning walk through Garfield Park, taken before 7am on Thursday, 8.27.2026.

Photo by me


Photo by me

Walking back to our apartment, we saw this huge leaf near the sidewalk. That's my foot.

Photo by me

More random photos taken this month in South Pasadena and Pasadena.


Photo by me


Photo by me


Photo by me


Photo by me

Dinner in Pasadena.

Photo by me

YUM. Crispy chicken topped with avocado, with roasted carrots and pickled cucumber salad.

Photo by me

A late afternoon/early evening walk through our neighborhood in South Pas...


Photo by me

Decades ago, when my partner and I were looking for an apartment to move into to start living together, we looked at this complex...

Photo by me

...and we looked at this one. We didn't move into either of them.

Photo by me

Garfield Park again. It's a very well-used park.

Photo by me


Photo by me

See the duplex on the right? We looked at that one too, when we were first looking for an apartment. We didn't move into that one either.

Photo by me


Photo by me


Photo by me


Photo by me


Photo by me

This little slope used to have plants/greenery on it.

Photo by me


Photo by me


Photo by me


Photo by me


Photo by me


Photo by me


Photo by me


Photo by me


Photo by me


Photo by me


Photo by me

Taken last Sunday... some time at the Norton Simon Museum, and then dinner.

We love all things Sri Lankan.

Photo by me


Photo by me


Photo by me


Photo by me


Photo by me


Photo by me


Photo by me


Photo by me


Photo by me


Photo by me


Photo by me


Photo by me


Photo by me

Other pieces...

Their faces are all worn away because of worshippers touching and rubbing their faces.

Photo by me


Photo by me

She looks Cambodian to me...

Photo by me

Oh, because she is.

Photo by me


Photo by me

"Now I understand
What you tried to say to me
And how you suffered for your sanity
And how you tried to set them free
They would not listen, they did not know how
Perhaps they'll listen now..."

Photo by me

Going to get coffee on a rainy Sunday afternoon during a long weekend.

Photo by me


Photo by me


Photo by me

Nasty tree.

Photo by me


Photo by me


Photo by me

Dinnertime, at one of our haunts.

Photo by me


Photo by me

Labor Day 2026 spent in the South Bay.

Going to brunch and hanging out a bit in Hermosa Beach.

Photo by me


Photo by me

Three different transit agencies stop at this bus stop right outside the restaurant. How convenient.

Photo by me

I had an omelette topped with avocado, with fruit on the side. Mmm, mmm...

Photo by me


Photo by me


Photo by me


Photo by me


Photo by me


Photo by me


Photo by me


Photo by me


Photo by me


Photo by me


Photo by me


Photo by me


Photo by me


Photo by me


Photo by me


Photo by me


Photo by me


Photo by me


Photo by me

Coffee in Redondo Beach.


Photo by me

At the OG Boy and the Bear location; the day before, we were at the Pasadena location.

Photo by me

My iced coffee.

Photo by me

My partner's iced green tea. It almost looks like a cocktail.

Photo by me


Photo by me

Dinner in Redondo Beach.


Photo by me


Photo by me

Grilled branzino.

Photo by me

Meatballs.

Photo by me

What a nice, relaxing weekend. And 🞵🞵🞵🞵, just like that, the long weekend was over.
__________________
"I guess the only time people think about injustice is when it happens to them."

~ Charles Bukowski
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #669  
Old Posted Sep 11, 2026, 2:13 AM
ColDayMan's Avatar
ColDayMan ColDayMan is offline
B!tchslapping Since 1998
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Columbus
Posts: 20,518
Great stuff, as always.
__________________
Click the x: _ _ X _ _!
Reply With Quote
     
     
End
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 6:06 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.