The CTV NEWS article by Leah Laroque is interesting for some of the remarks in it:
https://www.ctvnews.ca/ottawa/article/we...bus-service-after-moodie-station-damage/
Quote:
|
The city has said the extent of the damage is still being assessed, with some evaluations expected to continue into 2027.
|
From what I am reading in that article, and from other sources, the evaluation of the damage will be reported back to City Council in EARLY 2027. I hope that this is simply confusion between when the damage assessment report is available and when the independent consultant will table a report on the remaining time line for the western extension, including ways to minimize further delays.
Reality check: There were two washed-out sections of the Beachburg Sub, due to the heavy rain on July 1, 2026. Both of them very near the Corkstown Yard Light Maintenance and Storage Facility. By the time I was there two days later, they had been back-filled with ballast, and I believe I heard the train go through the following Wednesday. Granted, this is an old rail line, without fancy signaling or an overhead catenary system – but still. Those tracks were back in action very quickly.
Flooding of the Line 1 and Line 3 rail beds by slow-moving water for a fairly brief period should not be a major issue. If it happens repeatedly, there could be an increased chance of settling of the track bed, but that will, generally, be a slower process and found (and corrected) through routine maintenance. Immersion in slow-moving water should not adversely affect any signal or communication cable, as it should all be suitable for wet locations – again, assuming that they are not submerged for an extended period of time.
Fast-moving water on the tracks is the big problem. As we see at the Corkstown Yard, this is what causes washouts that displace the track ballast. It can also displace signal and communication cables – again, as happened at the Corkstown Yard.
Therefore, the vast majority of the western extension should require very little re-evaluation. The short length of track leading into the Corkstown Yard will need to be carefully assessed. However, it should not take six months to restore that short length of track and signaling.
That said, I could take that long if there is a redesign being done. And I hope that there is. I think that there needs to be much better handling of stormwater flow. The branch of Stillwater Creek that pass through the center of the facility needs to be better managed by allowing a much higher flow under Corkstown Road. That is, the culvert under the 417 should remain the same, but a wider (or second, parallel) culvert be installed under Corkstown Road. Also, the stormwater flowing from the 417 and its on-ramp near Moodie Drive must be channeled under the tracks and Corkstown Road, so that it can join Stillwater Creek in a managed way. I have posted my idea for that before.
Although these simple improvements will handle most stormwater, there will be exceptional storms that overwhelm the system. In order to prevent the kind of damage that occurred on July 1, I would suggest that the sloped track have a concrete base. That base should include a depressed trough along the south side (to act as a ditch to guide most water down the hill and not across the tracks) and a slightly raised duct along the north side for signal/communication cables. This only needs to be installed on the slope – where the water is fast-moving. Stormwater on the adjacent flat sections of the track should not be harmed much if they become temporarily submerged.
It’s funny how hind-sight is 20/20. I advocated for OC Transpo to move some Light Rail Vehicles (LRVs) to the Corkstown Yard so that they could be used for testing the western extension. I reasoned that the Parkway Tunnel would delay LRVs from getting to the newly laid western track. It turns out, that the LRVs at the Corkstown Yard are trapped there, and an LRV was recently brought through the tunnel to do the testing.