Quote:
Originally Posted by Djeffery
I can only assume they are talking about television numbers, because I would have to guess soccer is the #1 played sport in Canada, at least up until the teen years. Even the fat kids like me played soccer when we were 9.
For TV, hockey obviously is 1, I would put baseball 2 simply because of the volume of the product over the year, with NFL probably not far behind. Hockey (7 Olympics and 1 Stanley Cup final game) and the Super Bowl are tied at 8 each of the top 20 television broadcasts in Canada, with the other 4 being 2010 opening and closing ceremonies and games 6 and 7 of last year's World Series.
I don't know that even if Canada won the WC that it would catapult MLS up the ranks of TV viewing though. I like to watch golf a bit, but Mike Weir winning the Masters didn't make the regular weekly tournaments any less boring to me. Soccer would be the same I think to a lot of people. This is an event. Canada playing this weekend could conceivably knock a Super Bowl out of that top 20 list, but you aren't going to see Toronto FC setting lighting a ratings fire if Canada advances further.
|
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djeffery
I enjoyed that read as well, but I have the same concern. The owners would like the half a billion US dollars, but the article mentions the gate of these 3 teams helping the CPL and I wonder what the gate actually will be as CPL teams? Are the Whitecaps really going to play in BC Place if they struggle to draw 5000 because they aren't "Major" soccer anymore? TFC may be wishing for Argo size crowds at BMO.
|
That author glossed over the most important part - the sport. I've watched it my entire life and the CPL is simply not good enough as entertainment. The MLS in 2026 for all its persistent flaws actually produces decent soccer today. It's not the MLS of 2007 when I first watched when TFC joined.
It was a long read but unless I missed it there is nothing addressing the massive roster downgrades TFC, IMFC and VWFC will endure. There are no Mullers or Messis or Lewandowskis or De Pauls or Berhalters in the CPL and there won't be. Instead you get mostly nobodies. They would maybe be able to make it onto a Honduran premier league roster. A few might crack Trinidad & Tobago's national team. There are 45 MLS players playing in the World Cup this year, 3 play on the Whitecaps, 3 play on Toronto FC. 12 players are Whitecaps alumni. There are 0 in the CPL. We are going from being part of the relative big leagues to something that is less than the Vancouver Canadians are to the Seattle Mariners.
It's like getting a bean counter to dream up of ideas - he forgot what's actually happening on the pitch and on the ground and the people who watch and enjoy the game itself. Local soccer interest as a spectator sport - that is, fan interest in Canadian teams - are fickle and fairweather. Relegating the three best Canadian sides to very, very minor leagues will undo all the domestic interest that has recently been gained. Casuals, the bulk source of the support needed to continue growing the sport in Canada, will probably only tune in for the Canadian Men's National team, and that's only if they continue to be good - not a given if we kill off the pipeline that the 3 Canadian MLS teams provide (notwithstanding whatever scheme/pseudo charity the author dreamed up of MLS kicking in support even after all Canadian existence has left - why the hell would they?).
None of the three teams unless absolutely forced out of the league should voluntarily agree to this "accord".
I've nothing against the CPL continuing to exist and hope it survives, but there is no way this happens voluntarily by any of the three clubs, nor should it.