Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeFadesAway
Unfortunately, there's a large minority or small majority of the voting public who, regardless of any rational economic argument, don't want to see taxpayer money going to 'those people.' This is the biggest barrier.
|
This is a true story, believe it or not:
Back in 2015, I had a temporary layoff from work, as the oil price crash of late 2014 sent the Alberta oil and gas industry into a recession. While I was on temporary EI, I would go to the local food bank, and delivery bread products to the local homeless shelter.
Once, after I was done, I took a break to sit on a bench. Some people at the shelter sat by me, and we had struck up a conversation about the 2015 Alberta election, where the NDP stunned the political World, by capturing a majority Government after 44 straight years of Conservative rule.
I had mentioned to some of the residents of the shelter that the NDP had made a promise to raise minimum wage to $15.00/hr, as it was the lowest in Canada at the time (maybe around $10/hour). As a collective, all the homeless young people said "that was stupid" and "everything is going to cost more" when wages increased.
I actually did a double take. These are people who were living in a shelter, and many of them were unemployed, usually working for minimum wage. However, that is the mentality of many people. They lack the critical thinking skills to understand that the raise in minimum wage would benefit them the most of all the people in the province.
I recently saw a video from Argentina, where a student was saying she was so broke that she was considering moving to another city, or even outside the country due to inflation. However, when asked if she would ever vote for a left-leaning candidate, she replied "Hell no. I hate socialists."
I just have to laugh...