Quote:
Originally Posted by phesto
Average MLB attendance is 2,400,000 or 30,000 per home game over an 81 home game schedule. Even in the most wildly optimistic scenario I can't see Vancouver getting there. For reference, the Vancouver Canadians attendance last year was 277,000.
The only thing I can see coming from this is an actual stadium proposal. Maybe over the railyards at Canada Place?
A combo Whitecaps/baseball stadium would be a cool concept, but I don't think that would fly for an MLB expansion bid.
|
Vancouver Canadians average attendance is in the 6300 range, in a 6500 capacity stadium. The Richmond Flying Squirrels (Double-A affiliate of the San Francisco Giants) lead all 120 Minor League Baseball teams with the highest average attendance, averaging 8,235 fans per game. If Nat Baily was bigger, Vancouver would certainly have the highest attendance in minor league baseball.
There's a strong baseball culture in Vancouver, and it's proven every time Toronto plays in Seattle, where 25 000 Blue Jay fans fans take over T-Mobile Park. I can't think of a better way of demonstrating just how much of a baseball city Vancouver is.
The cost is enormous though. Maybe Ken Sim knows something about potential owners that we don't. MLB would be a hit in Vancouver.