Quote:
Originally Posted by darkharbour
I don't think this framing as natural species as obstructions is ethical or fair to the ecology of our province - and planet - whatsoever. We have witnessed a 69% average loss in the abundance of mammal, bird, reptile, fish and amphibian species since 1970. Add to that the fact that populations of vertebrates living in freshwater ecosystems (like rivers, lakes, wetlands, etc.) have declined even more, by 83% on average over the same period.
Much of this is well documented to be driven by anthropogenic stressors, mostly direct ones like habitat loss which would include development.
I am as pro-development as anyone, hence why I have been an active member of this forum for over a decade, but conservation laws and protections are one of the only means we have to try and reduce biodiversity loss and something like species extinction is something that cannot be reversed, it is a permanent loss.
Lots of alternative exist to damaging ecosystems, including densification, which is something I am sure a lot of us here on the forum would welcome with open arms. We need to embrace a nature-first approach to development in instances where it will make a tangible difference to our own well-being, not throw up our arms in disgust just because another species had the audacity to live somewhere first.
|
I understand. I actually have a degree in biology (pre MD) and damned near became a wildlife biologist (I had a full ticket NSERC 1967 science scholarship that would have funded me through to the end of my Ph.D studies, but I decided on medicine instead).
I appreciate everything you've said, and, theoretically agree, but, I think all these decisions regarding development vs preservation should be well considered and balanced. The pileated woodpeckers that got in the way of the natural gas power plant in Scoudouc was ill considered. Pileated woodpeckers are not exactly rare. I've had resident pileateds in my own back yard, in the Kingswood area of Moncton. This should not have been a deal breaker for the power plant. You could have a different discussion about the wisdom of a natural gas plant being built rather than more solar or wind, or a back-up bank of batteries, but, even here, you need to have the back-up capacity to supplement lapse periods for the renewables. I am not 100% against the natural gas power plant. What worries me is that it sounds like it might end up getting used nearly full time rather than just in emergencies. For this reason, it makes me question the wisdom of the proposed AI data centre in Saint John. Those are real energy hogs.
As for our friends the salamanders, I have a sneaking suspicion they are not as rare or endangered as let on. If they are found in Fundy Park and in Riverview, I betcha they are in a lot of wetlands in southeastern NB. This will require further research and study. There a re a lot of remote marshes and bogs that need to be catalogued. If in the end, the salamander is truly an isolated endemic species, I would have to reconsider my position.
I am more concerned about destruction of large habitats like for hydro electric headponds, or large swaths of woodland for industrialized forestry monoculture. That is where the true tragedy lies.