HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1761  
Old Posted Feb 4, 2026, 6:02 PM
peg's Avatar
peg peg is online now
keep the good times going
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Downtown Winnipeg
Posts: 622








Demo update from this morning

The lone staircase tower is funny.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1762  
Old Posted Feb 4, 2026, 6:04 PM
peg's Avatar
peg peg is online now
keep the good times going
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Downtown Winnipeg
Posts: 622
Quote:
Originally Posted by pspeid View Post
I juts saw this while scrolling FB. Apparently the terra cotta plaques that were incorporated into the PP facade have been saved and are going to be incorporated into some future build.
Good to see they're saving them. I always liked the tiny splash of colour and detail they gave to the bland PP facade.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1763  
Old Posted Feb 4, 2026, 7:00 PM
bomberjet bomberjet is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 16,368
I also find it hilarious the stairwell (or whatever that is) is left in place after most of the rest of building is gone.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1764  
Old Posted Feb 4, 2026, 7:22 PM
dam_well's Avatar
dam_well dam_well is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: North of 65°
Posts: 105
I had never noticed that Free Press sign before. I wonder if there's any world in which they move it to the east-ish corner of the building so it's visible from portage. Was already covered by Portage Place but will be even more covered by the healthcare tower.

Would look quite nice from this angle.

https://www.google.com/maps/@49.8929979,..._ep=EgoyMDI2MDIwMS4wIKXMDSoASAFQAw%3D%3D
__________________
Selling one parachute
Used once
Never opened
Small stain
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1765  
Old Posted Feb 4, 2026, 7:23 PM
Winnipeg Grump's Avatar
Winnipeg Grump Winnipeg Grump is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by pspeid View Post
I juts saw this while scrolling FB. Apparently the terra cotta plaques that were incorporated into the PP facade have been saved and are going to be incorporated into some future build. here's a link to the blog that mentions it:

https://westenddumplings.blogspot.com/20..._NKqWABjKv04K_aem_C5_jqV3Pzf0hBPXRuLZ4DA
West End Dumplings,
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1766  
Old Posted Feb 4, 2026, 8:06 PM
drew's Avatar
drew drew is offline
the first stamp is free
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hippyville, Winnipeg
Posts: 8,929
^ he is a civic treasure!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1767  
Old Posted Feb 4, 2026, 8:25 PM
bomberjet bomberjet is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 16,368
Great stuff from Christian.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1768  
Old Posted Feb 4, 2026, 8:44 PM
cllew cllew is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 4,844
Quote:
Originally Posted by dam_well View Post
I had never noticed that Free Press sign before. I wonder if there's any world in which they move it to the east-ish corner of the building so it's visible from portage. Was already covered by Portage Place but will be even more covered by the healthcare tower.

Would look quite nice from this angle.

https://www.google.com/maps/@49.8929979,..._ep=EgoyMDI2MDIwMS4wIKXMDSoASAFQAw%3D%3D
Free Press Building @ 300 Carlton is heritage protected but I don't know if that also applies to the sign location or just the physical building.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1769  
Old Posted Feb 4, 2026, 10:51 PM
cheswick's Avatar
cheswick cheswick is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: South Kildonan
Posts: 3,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
I also find it hilarious the stairwell (or whatever that is) is left in place after most of the rest of building is gone.
Want to preserve the smell of urine and scattered needles I assume.
__________________
There are 10 kinds of people in this world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1770  
Old Posted Feb 4, 2026, 11:19 PM
Outlandish18 Outlandish18 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2022
Posts: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
I also find it hilarious the stairwell (or whatever that is) is left in place after most of the rest of building is gone.
Isnt this an elevator shaft? I'm not sure though.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1771  
Old Posted Feb 5, 2026, 2:30 PM
BlackDog204's Avatar
BlackDog204 BlackDog204 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: west
Posts: 3,403
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
I also find it hilarious the stairwell (or whatever that is) is left in place after most of the rest of building is gone.
I'm drawing a blank.

Whenever I think of "stairwell" and "downtown," I always envision the NE corner of Portage and Main, where they used to have a stairwell to Winnipeg Square. The smell of urine was overpowering. No wonder why the majority of women did not feel safe entering it.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1772  
Old Posted Feb 5, 2026, 2:36 PM
dam_well's Avatar
dam_well dam_well is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: North of 65°
Posts: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
Free Press Building @ 300 Carlton is heritage protected but I don't know if that also applies to the sign location or just the physical building.
Good point.
__________________
Selling one parachute
Used once
Never opened
Small stain
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1773  
Old Posted Feb 5, 2026, 3:24 PM
cheswick's Avatar
cheswick cheswick is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: South Kildonan
Posts: 3,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlandish18 View Post
Isnt this an elevator shaft? I'm not sure though.
Elevator was on the opposite side by the promenade entrance.
__________________
There are 10 kinds of people in this world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1774  
Old Posted Feb 5, 2026, 4:15 PM
bussche bussche is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDog204 View Post
I'm drawing a blank.

Whenever I think of "stairwell" and "downtown," I always envision the NE corner of Portage and Main, where they used to have a stairwell to Winnipeg Square. The smell of urine was overpowering. No wonder why the majority of women did not feel safe entering it.
On the Richardson's corner? It's still there.

Still smells like piss haha.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1775  
Old Posted Feb 5, 2026, 4:19 PM
bomberjet bomberjet is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 16,368
In the downtown corridors transit RFP, those underground portals (and the underground in general) are excluded from the work. No connections, changes, etc. to the underground beyond noting they currently exist.

We'll see if the City comes out with a final plan at some point soon to actually abandoned the underground or rehab it.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1776  
Old Posted Feb 5, 2026, 4:36 PM
bussche bussche is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
In the downtown corridors transit RFP, those underground portals (and the underground in general) are excluded from the work. No connections, changes, etc. to the underground beyond noting they currently exist.

We'll see if the City comes out with a final plan at some point soon to actually abandoned the underground or rehab it.
I still think they're playing chicken with the property owners, trying to get them to chip in.

The Richardson's, etc at the corners would be the biggest losers if the underground is abandoned, their tenants are the biggest benefactors of the convenience it provides.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1777  
Old Posted Feb 5, 2026, 5:02 PM
neutroniks neutroniks is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2022
Posts: 1,126
Quote:
Originally Posted by bussche View Post
I still think they're playing chicken with the property owners, trying to get them to chip in.

The Richardson's, etc at the corners would be the biggest losers if the underground is abandoned, their tenants are the biggest benefactors of the convenience it provides.
Which is ironic because when the first debate came out about re-opening Portage & Main, I thought the news article said that the property owners at every corner were willing to invest in the upgrades if the city voted to take the barriers down. Or am I mistaken?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1778  
Old Posted Feb 5, 2026, 5:18 PM
bomberjet bomberjet is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 16,368
The property owners were willing to invest in upgrades to their buildings. And things like the empty lot north of 201 Portage. Harvard said opening the street would potentially help spur development interest in that lot.

I would bet all private parties would not want to foot the bill for the Cities property until it negatively effects their property values.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1779  
Old Posted Feb 5, 2026, 10:06 PM
BAKGUY BAKGUY is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 1,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDog204 View Post
I'm drawing a blank.

Whenever I think of "stairwell" and "downtown," I always envision the NE corner of Portage and Main, where they used to have a stairwell to Winnipeg Square. The smell of urine was overpowering. No wonder why the majority of women did not feel safe entering it.
A Stairwell to Lombard Place is what you meant.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1780  
Old Posted Feb 5, 2026, 10:13 PM
BlackDog204's Avatar
BlackDog204 BlackDog204 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: west
Posts: 3,403
Quote:
Originally Posted by bussche View Post
On the Richardson's corner? It's still there.

Still smells like piss haha.
Oops NW at the Shaw tower or whatever it's called now.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 7:58 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.