HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #2061  
Old Posted Jan 21, 2026, 1:46 PM
bingun bingun is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2024
Posts: 1,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsoc View Post
Eric Savoie will be running for Saint John Councillor in Ward 3:

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=61584602725008
Should I be familiar with who this is? Less senile than Gerry, no doubt.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2062  
Old Posted Jan 21, 2026, 2:34 PM
EnvisionSaintJohn's Avatar
EnvisionSaintJohn EnvisionSaintJohn is online now
New Brunswick, Canada ⛵️
 
Join Date: Apr 2023
Location: Canada's first City 🍁🌊
Posts: 4,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingun View Post
Should I be familiar with who this is? Less senile than Gerry, no doubt.
He’s been quite involved with both the provincial and federal Liberals.
__________________
Peace and Athabasca and Coppermine and Slave, And Yukon and Mackenzie—the highroads of the brave. Saskatchewan, Assiniboine, the Bow and the Qu'Appelle, And many a prairie river whose name is like a spell. They rumor through the twilight at the edge of the unknown, "There's a message waiting for you, and a kingdom all your own. — Bliss Carman
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2063  
Old Posted Jan 22, 2026, 5:09 PM
gtsoc gtsoc is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 194
Came across a Facebook post where Andrew Nowlan has announced his candidacy for the Mayor's chair.

Never heard of the guy before, but he ran a "Foodie Canada" Facebook group and was also listed as CEO of Budz Delivery Inc - I think you know what that is .

Add another ... candidate ... to the list.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2064  
Old Posted Jan 22, 2026, 10:52 PM
drewber drewber is offline
Non-Farmers, Farm Celery
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Saint Antoine, NB
Posts: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsoc View Post
Came across a Facebook post where Andrew Nowlan has announced his candidacy for the Mayor's chair.

Never heard of the guy before, but he ran a "Foodie Canada" Facebook group and was also listed as CEO of Budz Delivery Inc - I think you know what that is .

Add another ... candidate ... to the list.
I've been reviewing food on YouTube for a decade now I should run for mayor in Moncton
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2065  
Old Posted Jan 23, 2026, 5:35 PM
gtsoc gtsoc is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsoc View Post
Came across a Facebook post where Andrew Nowlan has announced his candidacy for the Mayor's chair.

Never heard of the guy before, but he ran a "Foodie Canada" Facebook group and was also listed as CEO of Budz Delivery Inc - I think you know what that is .

Add another ... candidate ... to the list.
Even before nominations are open, Saint John might see its first candidate drop out.

Andrew Nowlan is getting absolutely trashed on the local Facebook groups for his past history and actions towards others.. not painting him in the best light.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2066  
Old Posted Jan 24, 2026, 4:57 PM
MonctonRad's Avatar
MonctonRad MonctonRad is online now
Wildcats Rule!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 41,291
Two viable candidates have arisen for the mayoralty position in Moncton.

Shawn Crossman has already announced his candidacy and Brian (the once and future mayor) Murphy has an event planned for the City Club where he will make his own announcement.

Both these men are viable candidates who would be able to provide solid leadership for the city. Brian probably is the better choice (successful lawyer, prominent family, well connected, former mayor and former MP).

Either one however would be acceptable. Shawn is a long term city councillor, and he comes from a political family.

The city has been coasting along in neutral since Dawn Arnold was appointed to the Senate. It's good to see that we have a couple of good quality candidates preparing to take the helm and guide us into the future.
__________________
Go 'Cats Go
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2067  
Old Posted Jan 24, 2026, 10:05 PM
EnvisionSaintJohn's Avatar
EnvisionSaintJohn EnvisionSaintJohn is online now
New Brunswick, Canada ⛵️
 
Join Date: Apr 2023
Location: Canada's first City 🍁🌊
Posts: 4,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsoc View Post
Came across a Facebook post where Andrew Nowlan has announced his candidacy for the Mayor's chair.

Never heard of the guy before, but he ran a "Foodie Canada" Facebook group and was also listed as CEO of Budz Delivery Inc - I think you know what that is .

Add another ... candidate ... to the list.
There’s also Mohamed Elazab a local engineer, who I believe is originally from Egypt. I think he posts about every day in a group on FB called “Ask Saint John”… I don’t think he’s a member here at SSP… which makes me wonder… has there ever been any SJ members of SSP run for mayor or city council? Maybe?

I’m not really sure what to think about Mr. Elzabab, but he certainly does seem to “think big”, which is good… it will be interesting to see how his campaign unfolds and if he’s taken seriously as a Candidate.

Makes me think of another question… who was the last mayor of Saint John that was raised in another country outside of Canada? (If ever)

Moreover, when’s the last time a “come from away” was elected mayor of Saint John? (Again.. if ever)

While I’ll certainly vote for Mayor Reardon again over “Sir. Paints A lot”, I’d much rather vote for someone with a visionary mindset and far more aspirational goals for the future of the city (and a far more ambitious strategy for dealing with the province and their enormous influence on the political and financial affairs of this city and region)

David Alston remains the best possible mayoral candidate, imo, as improved cooperation and collaboration with the province will be key to sustaining and building upon Saint John’s economic and demographic growth, and I think he could deliver on that as he was one of Susan Holt’s more high profile candidates here in Saint John… he would have almost certainly been a member of cabinet had he been elected. Still, he’s not a confirmed candidate, and may see the job as more of a hassle than an opportunity. I remain optimistic he, or another high profile candidate with connections to the NB Liberals, will see the job as an opportunity, make a solid run for office, and win.

I still think Sailor should go for it, lol! We don’t often agree on things (especially cycling infrastructure), but I think he’d be a more sensible mayor than we’ve had in a long time.

As for the declared candidates… I think Barry Ogden is especially going to have a hard time distancing himself from the current administration… since his voting records indicate that he took very few “stands” on any major issues. Heck, about the only vote i can remember taking a stand on was siding with the NIMBY’s opposed to that big, scary 6 storey “high rise” in Millidgeville.

Moreover, if Ogden goes for some low hanging fruit (like criticizing bike lanes) he will just make himself seem even more dated and out of touch with younger, progressive voters that he already has extremely limited appeal with. Vote splitting will be a major concern in this election, and it will be essential for people to vote strategically to avoid someone like Ogden lucking into victory due to a vote split 3 or 4 ways. (Same goes for the seats on council)

I’m not sure if this is a provincial or municipal matter (I guess provincial) but we should really have a ranked choice ballot for mayor and council. People having to actually research the candidates a bit first, before they go into vote and rank the candidates from best to worst, would be an extremely positive development in terms of the health of our municipal democracies.

Saint John truly does need a dark horse candidate to sweep in ala Mark Carney or Barack Obama and shake up this race. This will be the most important municipal election in a very long time… hopefully we have some quality candidates that rise to occasion.

Last edited by EnvisionSaintJohn; Jan 25, 2026 at 12:58 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2068  
Old Posted Jan 25, 2026, 12:37 AM
SevenSquared SevenSquared is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Dieppe
Posts: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Shawn Crossman has already announced his candidacy and Brian (the once and future mayor) Murphy has an event planned for the City Club where he will make his own announcement.

Both these men are viable candidates who would be able to provide solid leadership for the city. Brian probably is the better choice (successful lawyer, prominent family, well connected, former mayor and former MP).

Either one however would be acceptable. Shawn is a long term city councillor, and he comes from a political family.
Charles Leger announced he's running. That's huge, and I'm honestly shocked he's sticking around in local politics.

I would think Leger will be considered the favourite, especially if the only real other electable candidate ends up being Murphy whose name recognition is surely nowhere near what it was 1-2 decades ago, before the local population boom.

I get that there are some who are big on Crossman, but vs Leger/Murphy I don't see where the support comes from. I guess he could default to the 2021 Gingles playbook and go scorched earth with a "cops everywhere" campaign... but aside from his short-lived mini-crusade against e-scooters I'm not aware that he's built that much of a profile for himself? Could be wrong.....

I was hoping Butler would run, purely for the entertainment.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2069  
Old Posted Jan 25, 2026, 1:51 AM
MonctonRad's Avatar
MonctonRad MonctonRad is online now
Wildcats Rule!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 41,291


Leger is a good candidate too. It gives me confidence that we will have several level headed candidates for mayor.

The sad thing is that if Crossman and/or Leger lose the mayoralty race, they will also be excluded from council, which will be a loss for the city.
__________________
Go 'Cats Go
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2070  
Old Posted Jan 26, 2026, 5:01 PM
adamuptownsj adamuptownsj is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Saint John NB
Posts: 2,049
Another... interesting guy is running for mayor in Saint John: Adam J.C. Salesse, a realtor with EXP. Very ambitious (scroll down):

Quote:
If elected Mayor, I will
- Increase minimum wage to $25/hr
- Put a price cap on gasoline of $1/Litre
- Approve everyone for a mortgage at 5% interest with a 5% down payment
- Fix all the potholes and remove all the speed bumps.
- Milk will be $1/Litre.
- Rent will be capped at $500/bdrm.
- University tuition capped at $5000/year.
- Cannabis capped at $100/ounce.
- Starlink internet capped at $10/month.
- Universal Basic Income $100/week
- All Tax Rates capped at 9%
I knew I recognized the name, and yeah, he loves running for office.
  • Somehow forgot to file papers for Saint John Harbour as an independent in 2018
  • 3% as an independent in Saint John-Rothesay in 2019
  • 5% in the Ward 3 byelection in 2019
  • 4% in the Ward 3 election in 2021
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2071  
Old Posted Jan 26, 2026, 5:05 PM
paperplane paperplane is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2025
Posts: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamuptownsj View Post
Another... interesting guy is running for mayor in Saint John: Adam J.C. Salesse, a realtor with EXP. Very ambitious (scroll down):



I knew I recognized the name, and yeah, he loves running for office.
  • Somehow forgot to file papers for Saint John Harbour as an independent in 2018
  • 3% as an independent in Saint John-Rothesay in 2019
  • 5% in the Ward 3 byelection in 2019
  • 4% in the Ward 3 election in 2021
Yeesh, wonder if he'll remember to file his papers this time; surely he won't remember all of those overly ambitious promises!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2072  
Old Posted Jan 26, 2026, 5:31 PM
MonctonRad's Avatar
MonctonRad MonctonRad is online now
Wildcats Rule!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 41,291
Does this buffoon realize that mayors have zero authority to institute any of those promises. This is all provincial jurisdiction. Maybe he should be running for Premier.
__________________
Go 'Cats Go
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2073  
Old Posted Jan 26, 2026, 5:36 PM
Bishop2047's Avatar
Bishop2047 Bishop2047 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 935
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperplane View Post
Yeesh, wonder if he'll remember to file his papers this time; surely he won't remember all of those overly ambitious promises!
If he truly believes he could enact even one of those items... Please get this guy in a debate. I will bring the popcorn.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2074  
Old Posted Jan 26, 2026, 5:43 PM
bingun bingun is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2024
Posts: 1,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamuptownsj View Post
Another... interesting guy is running for mayor in Saint John: Adam J.C. Salesse, a realtor with EXP. Very ambitious (scroll down):



I knew I recognized the name, and yeah, he loves running for office.
  • Somehow forgot to file papers for Saint John Harbour as an independent in 2018
  • 3% as an independent in Saint John-Rothesay in 2019
  • 5% in the Ward 3 byelection in 2019
  • 4% in the Ward 3 election in 2021
He's got to be winding people up with promises like that? Maybe he should include building Envision's tunnel under the harbour or a bridge to the Kingston Peninsula while he's at it.

It's scary that someone like that got 5% of the vote! Although I assume the number of votes was very low if it was a by-election.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2075  
Old Posted Jan 26, 2026, 8:11 PM
adamuptownsj adamuptownsj is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Saint John NB
Posts: 2,049
Not to spam, but Gary Sullivan just announced he's running for a 4th term in Saint John (at large).

Separately, not much Fredericton talk on here. What's going on in the capital?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2076  
Old Posted Jan 26, 2026, 8:19 PM
EnvisionSaintJohn's Avatar
EnvisionSaintJohn EnvisionSaintJohn is online now
New Brunswick, Canada ⛵️
 
Join Date: Apr 2023
Location: Canada's first City 🍁🌊
Posts: 4,081
🚇 Tunnel Time! 🚇 Is there a case for a "Big Dig" in Saint John?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingun View Post
He's got to be winding people up with promises like that? Maybe he should include building Envision's tunnel under the harbour or a bridge to the Kingston Peninsula while he's at it.

It's scary that someone like that got 5% of the vote! Although I assume the number of votes was very low if it was a by-election.
Let's go!

Tunnels generally have much lower long term maintenance costs than bridges or ferries, and are typically designed to last far longer. I believe the last time Sailor tried to argue against the idea in general, he used the $1 billion price tag to refurbish a 1km in Montreal as evidence against a tunnel under SJ Harbour costing too much money to be feasible. Yet, the price tag to demolish Olympic Stadium is over $2 billion, so Montreal is probably a really bad city to compare Saint John with.

Meanwhile in the Faroe Islands 🇫🇴:

"Subsea tunnels in the Faroe Islands have been constructed at costs ranging from approximately €15 million to over €23.5 million per kilometer (roughly £10 million to £20 million per km). The projects are highly specialized, often involving complex engineering through volcanic rock, and are funded via tolls, with costs sometimes compared favorably to, or even lower than, comparable infrastructure projects in other regions."


Angus MacNeil: Faroe Islands show worth of undersea tunnels


The Faroe Islands have made smart use of undersea tunnels


Quote:
Two of these tunnels – which replaced ferries – were completed before 2007 [...] The third, the Eysturoy Tunnel, was opened in December 2020, with a roundabout 70m under the North Atlantic, where three roads in sub-tunnels meet. The combined tunnelling length is 11km. The cost was a billion DKK – or £10.2 million per km. This tunnel was less than half the price of the CMAL ferry hulks on the Clyde. Tunnels, clearly, are do-able and sensible to build in Scotland too.
Again, people on these forums are quick to call something a billion dollar boondoggle, but are very slow to back up those claims with facts and figures that prove they know what they are talking about.

The Faroe Islands has around 55,000 people and over 40km of undersea and mountain tunnels. Their undersea tunnels will eventually replace their ferries altogether, and be more effective for the people of the Faroe Island in the long run, while massively enhancing their transportation capabilities.

The Saint John Region has nearly three times the population of the Faroe islands, and no such radically different geography and geology. The Faroese have built their undersea tunnels for a cost of around $19 million CAD per KM. I see no reason why the New Brunswick Department of Transportation and Infrastructure wouldn't take a serious look at building a tunnel between the Lower West Side and Uptown Saint John, to take some congestion away from the bridges, and radically enhance the connectivity for pedestrians and cyclists between the West Side and Uptown.

As much as I'd personally like to see the return of the Saint John Harbour Ferry, I think a harbour tunnel would probably cost far less than a ferry in the long run. (And would be a better solution for West Siders looking to walk home from the bars Uptown, and same thing for a Harbour Bridge pathway, since a ferry wouldn’t run all night)

Beyond the NB DTI, I think the federal government should seriously look at how tunnel projects could be used to improve connectivity between Port Saint John's facilities in the inner harbour, or even be used as some sort of underground cold storage or temperature controlled storage facility for the container port. A lot of earth and rock would need to be moved to build a few tunnels between the West Side Docks and the Lower Cove Terminal, and I think a lot of that bedrock and earth could then be repurposed as part of land reclamation projects in the inner harbour... like filling in the space between the tugboat and that decrepit old pier.

Anyways, haven't actually thought about the tunnel idea in a while, but do hope tunnels somehow become an election issue. I think people should try and provide evidence that it would cost too much money, before they simply write off the idea entirely...

I think a candidate could actually drum up a lot of press and attention if they tried to have a conversation or debate around the idea of a "ferry vs tunnel ". The connectivity between the West Side and Uptown is abysmal for two areas so close to each other, and further upgrades to the existing Harbour Passage system won't do anything to change that.

As far as I see it, there's only three viable active transportation solutions to better connect the West Side and Uptown (Central) Peninsulas, and those are #1 a ferry, #2 a harbour bridge pathway, and #3 a tunnel. More busses between the West Side and Uptown would be good too, but that doesn't exactly help cyclists, or people that simply want to walk.

If a mayoral candidate and/or city council candidate really pushed for big, costly solutions for improving connectivity between the West Side and Uptown for via a ferry, tunnel, or Harbour Bridge pathway, I think they would get a lot of support. I'd say the current mayor and council are seen by most West Siders as extremely focussed on Uptown and more recently the North End, and not very focussed on improving the situation here on West Side.

Sometimes you have to think about what this city is like for people visiting the city without a car... and I'm sorry to say, visiting Saint John without a car (like I used to do when I visited my grandparents on the West Side) is pretty dreadful. Many resident focussed investments end up being good for tourism, and vice versa.

One active transportation piece I'd really like to see candidates get behind (and I hope others here on the forum could get behind) is bike sharing/rental stations!




A tunnel would obviously be too much for the municipal budget, but a bike rental system could very well be viable. Moreover, bike sharing systems typically qualify for robust federal and provincial funding, and are good dual purpose investment that is good for both residents and tourists. If we ever people to stop complaining about "empty bike lanes", then let's start supporting some sensible solutions to fill those bike lanes up with bikes! It costs like $20-30+ an hour to rent an e-scooters and e-bikes in Saint John... those are tourist trap prices, not resident focussed prices, which is what we need to really fill up those bike lanes.

Last edited by EnvisionSaintJohn; Jan 26, 2026 at 10:34 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2077  
Old Posted Jan 26, 2026, 8:21 PM
EnvisionSaintJohn's Avatar
EnvisionSaintJohn EnvisionSaintJohn is online now
New Brunswick, Canada ⛵️
 
Join Date: Apr 2023
Location: Canada's first City 🍁🌊
Posts: 4,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop2047 View Post
If he truly believes he could enact even one of those items... Please get this guy in a debate. I will bring the popcorn.
Maybe we here at SSP.com could host a virtual debate for mayoral and city council candidates brave enough to answer these questions and many more, for our respective cities.

I'd sure love to hear Barry Ogden's answer on a question regarding a Saint John Harbour Tunnel... as well as the other candidates answers to a range of questions us forumers could dream up to ask them.

I bet we could think up better questions than most of the debate questions I've heard asked Saint John municipal candidates in the past.
__________________
Peace and Athabasca and Coppermine and Slave, And Yukon and Mackenzie—the highroads of the brave. Saskatchewan, Assiniboine, the Bow and the Qu'Appelle, And many a prairie river whose name is like a spell. They rumor through the twilight at the edge of the unknown, "There's a message waiting for you, and a kingdom all your own. — Bliss Carman
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2078  
Old Posted Jan 27, 2026, 6:00 PM
sailor734 sailor734 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2023
Posts: 2,677
Heard about four possible candidates for SJ council who have either decided to run or who are seriously gauging support for a run.

David Merrithew (former councillor) Paul Dempsey (retired RCN officer and diplomat, unsuccessful candidate last year's provincial election for the PC's) Tim Jones (former operator of the Forest School on Foster Thurston Rd and (I believe) an unsuccessful Liberal candidate in Portland Simonds two elections ago.) Dan Cullen (Owner Dan's Country Market)

I'm given to understand they would all run on a generally pro development/pro business platform.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2079  
Old Posted Jan 27, 2026, 7:09 PM
EnvisionSaintJohn's Avatar
EnvisionSaintJohn EnvisionSaintJohn is online now
New Brunswick, Canada ⛵️
 
Join Date: Apr 2023
Location: Canada's first City 🍁🌊
Posts: 4,081
I’m hoping Ray Strowbridge runs again:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/saint-john-amalgamation-finn-report-1.4486170

Could certainly use a guy like that back on council!
__________________
Peace and Athabasca and Coppermine and Slave, And Yukon and Mackenzie—the highroads of the brave. Saskatchewan, Assiniboine, the Bow and the Qu'Appelle, And many a prairie river whose name is like a spell. They rumor through the twilight at the edge of the unknown, "There's a message waiting for you, and a kingdom all your own. — Bliss Carman
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2080  
Old Posted Jan 27, 2026, 7:24 PM
adamuptownsj adamuptownsj is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Saint John NB
Posts: 2,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor734 View Post
Heard about four possible candidates for SJ council who have either decided to run or who are seriously gauging support for a run.

[...]

I'm given to understand they would all run on a generally pro development/pro business platform.
I presume all of these are Ward 2? Seems like a relatively decent crop. Gotta wonder if any decide to run at large instead, with Harris retiring.

Merrithew got an impressive 32% in 2016 as as incumbent (with two votes per person he was on about 64% of ballots) and didn't run again in 2021.

I heard Dempsey was considering running for something, possibly mayor, which I thought seemed a little ambitious. He lost Portland-Simonds 54-38, a little better than the SJ-area PC baseline in 2024.

Jones was the Liberal candidate in Portland-Simonds in 2020, losing 55-29, doing about as well as the Liberal baseline in that election around here.

Cullen doesn't have any electoral experience AFAIK, but seems broadly popular in the North End. The other three seem more Millidgeville-y/upscale than him, which could give him a lane to swim in.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 4:38 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.