HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #3981  
Old Posted Jan 20, 2026, 11:38 PM
ninjakafi_81 ninjakafi_81 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
Would be hilarious if it was YVR-South America.

I highly doubt it, but it would be quite the statement from AC.
It would be hilarious, but I don’t think it’ll be a South American route. I was shown an image with three pictures that are describing the new destination. The first picture was a map of Asia, the second picture was a person skiing, and the last picture was a bowl of noodles. The only place I can think of is Sapporo, Japan.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourkky View Post
It's a new route for winter 2026-2027.
I guess it’ll be a winter seasonal route to CTS from I presume would be YVR.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3982  
Old Posted Jan 21, 2026, 12:00 AM
LeftCoaster's Avatar
LeftCoaster LeftCoaster is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Toroncouver
Posts: 13,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjakafi_81 View Post
It would be hilarious, but I don’t think it’ll be a South American route. I was shown an image with three pictures that are describing the new destination. The first picture was a map of Asia, the second picture was a person skiing, and the last picture was a bowl of noodles. The only place I can think of is Sapporo, Japan.
Hmm, that seems pretty difficult to misinterpret.

Has been rumoured as a 321XLR route for a while and would be a very cool, unique route.

Would also make me dead wrong when I said no way AC utilizes the XLR out of YVR for transcon.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3983  
Old Posted Jan 21, 2026, 1:53 AM
nname nname is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 5,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjakafi_81 View Post
I guess it’ll be a winter seasonal route to CTS from I presume would be YVR.
Using AC21/22 as flight number?

Noticed a couple of months ago, AC moved the additional SIN and HKG flight from AC21 to AC15. So they must have been reserving that number for something...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3984  
Old Posted Jan 21, 2026, 2:10 AM
ninjakafi_81 ninjakafi_81 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
Hmm, that seems pretty difficult to misinterpret.

Has been rumoured as a 321XLR route for a while and would be a very cool, unique route.

Would also make me dead wrong when I said no way AC utilizes the XLR out of YVR for transcon.
With some XLR’s scheduled to enter service later this year, it should free up some 787’s for expansion purposes. Maybe a freed up 787 would be sent out to YVR for a route to CTS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nname View Post
Using AC21/22 as flight number?

Noticed a couple of months ago, AC moved the additional SIN and HKG flight from AC21 to AC15. So they must have been reserving that number for something...
I guess they have some planned for AC21/22. Maybe it’s for the route they’ll announce.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3985  
Old Posted Jan 21, 2026, 2:22 AM
Myst Myst is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2023
Posts: 295
YWG year end stats have been posted.

Total 4,412,013 (+2.7% from 2024)

Q4 figures were:
October
Domestic 344,070
US 34,572
International 1,264
Total 379,906

November
Domestic 277,562
US 30,405
International 17,981
Total 325,948

December
Domestic 270,891
US 32,824
International 38,429
Total 342,144
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3986  
Old Posted Jan 21, 2026, 9:36 AM
nname nname is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 5,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjakafi_81 View Post
With some XLR’s scheduled to enter service later this year, it should free up some 787’s for expansion purposes. Maybe a freed up 787 would be sent out to YVR for a route to CTS.

I guess they have some planned for AC21/22. Maybe it’s for the route they’ll announce.
If it's CTS, I for one hope they use XLR. This means they will need to add another route to fill the plane's schedule to daily. And the fact that potential long-haul XLR routes out of YVR will now be possible (ie. DUB, EDI, MAN, 2nd LHR, CPH, KEF, BOG, PTY, etc)

It's still early to announce winter schedule though, especially for shorter route like CTS. Especially when AC haven't even finish the summer schedule yet...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3987  
Old Posted Jan 21, 2026, 9:43 AM
thenoflyzone thenoflyzone is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 4,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjakafi_81 View Post
The first picture was a map of Asia, the second picture was a person skiing, and the last picture was a bowl of noodles.
Where did you see this, btw? Can't find anything online.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3988  
Old Posted Jan 21, 2026, 3:07 PM
Zmonkey Zmonkey is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 716
Air Canada to launch Sapporo Japan, from Vancouver starting Dec 2026.

They had talked about adding new routes to Japan as part of one of there investor day notes.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3989  
Old Posted Jan 21, 2026, 4:56 PM
Dominion301 Dominion301 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 5,985
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zmonkey View Post
Air Canada to launch Sapporo Japan, from Vancouver starting Dec 2026.

They had talked about adding new routes to Japan as part of one of there investor day notes.
News release: https://www.aircanada.com/media/epic-sno...ever-winter-seasonal-service-to-sapporo/

3x weekly on a 788, so not XLR as rumoured.

Here's another AC tidbit. They have loaded YOW/YHZ-MBJ to now start in December 2026. Delayed a year due to the hurricane.

https://www.aeroroutes.com/eng/260120-acdec26mbj

AC1478 YHZ0830 – 1235MBJ 7M8 4
AC1479 MBJ1335 – 1905YHZ 7M8 4

AC1390 YOW1000 – 1445MBJ 7M8 7
AC1391 MBJ1555 – 2010YOW 7M8 7
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3990  
Old Posted Jan 21, 2026, 4:57 PM
Bourkky Bourkky is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoflyzone View Post
Where did you see this, btw? Can't find anything online.
Internal e-mail to employes. I don't know if those images went public.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3991  
Old Posted Jan 21, 2026, 5:23 PM
Calfan12 Calfan12 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: Edmonton area
Posts: 1,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zmonkey View Post
Air Canada to launch Sapporo Japan, from Vancouver starting Dec 2026.

They had talked about adding new routes to Japan as part of one of there investor day notes.
Nice congrats to Vancouver YVR on another new route to Japan, next winter season .
https://www.travelweek.ca/news/airlines/...ice-to-sapporo-with-air-canada-from-yvr/

Plus lol the new AC route flight ✈️ numbers are similar to what WS WestJet announced yesterday regarding the Calgary YYC - São Paulo GRU Brazil- YYC route 3x weekly using WS 54/ 55 as well.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3992  
Old Posted Jan 21, 2026, 6:52 PM
thenoflyzone thenoflyzone is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 4,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourkky View Post
Internal e-mail to employes. I don't know if those images went public.
I figured. Thanks.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3993  
Old Posted Jan 21, 2026, 7:32 PM
Zmonkey Zmonkey is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 716
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominion301 View Post
News release: https://www.aircanada.com/media/epic-sno...ever-winter-seasonal-service-to-sapporo/

3x weekly on a 788, so not XLR as rumoured.

Here's another AC tidbit. They have loaded YOW/YHZ-MBJ to now start in December 2026. Delayed a year due to the hurricane.

https://www.aeroroutes.com/eng/260120-acdec26mbj

AC1478 YHZ0830 – 1235MBJ 7M8 4
AC1479 MBJ1335 – 1905YHZ 7M8 4

AC1390 YOW1000 – 1445MBJ 7M8 7
AC1391 MBJ1555 – 2010YOW 7M8 7
It will be interesting to see what happens in Japan, AC had noted on investor calls they were looking at Sapporo which is now happening and Nagoya and Kumamoto. While 2026 likely won't happen never know for 2027.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3994  
Old Posted Jan 22, 2026, 12:39 AM
zahav zahav is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,052
Interesting, the YVR-CTS addition is certainly a surprise for me (I obviously did not watch or read the Investor report, since it did mention it as a possibility). I hope it does well, but sounds more like a filler route that could come and go easily if something else comes up. I would think year-round KIX would have taken priority over this, given Osaka's size and importance. I wouldn't think the novelty of being the only non-stop from the Americas to CTS would be enough, but AC must know something more (at least I hope they do). Speaking of KIX, does anyone remember what the seasonal start and end dates were last year for YVR-KIX and YYZ-KIX? This year YVR-KIX runs from Mar. 1 to Nov. 29, and YYZ-KIX runs from Jun. 2 to Oct. 22? I didn't realize the routes had such different durations. Regardless, Mar. 1-Nov. 29 seems quite long for "summer seasonal", with 9 out of 12 months served 4x weekly, AC should have just upped it to year round instead of adding CTS. But there you go!

I have to admit, there's been some pretty funky routes announced by both AC and WS over the last year. My biggest surprises were-
YHZ-BRU, CPH, and MAD
YUL to PMI and CTA
YYC to GRU
YVR-CTS

Then there's routes I considered more likely to be operating, yet aren't:
-YVR-DXB
-YVR-MEL
-YVR-NGO
-YYC-PVG
-YYC-PEK
-YYC-HKG
-YYC-DXB
-YYZ-BOM
-all major airports (YVR, YYC, YYZ, YUL) to mainland China

I'm happy airport across the country are getting fun new routes this year, just some stand out as surprising choices when there's seemingly more "deserved" routes without service. I know there's reasons, just still surprising.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3995  
Old Posted Jan 22, 2026, 2:31 AM
nname nname is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 5,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by zahav View Post
Interesting, the YVR-CTS addition is certainly a surprise for me (I obviously did not watch or read the Investor report, since it did mention it as a possibility). I hope it does well, but sounds more like a filler route that could come and go easily if something else comes up. I would think year-round KIX would have taken priority over this, given Osaka's size and importance. I wouldn't think the novelty of being the only non-stop from the Americas to CTS would be enough, but AC must know something more (at least I hope they do). Speaking of KIX, does anyone remember what the seasonal start and end dates were last year for YVR-KIX and YYZ-KIX? This year YVR-KIX runs from Mar. 1 to Nov. 29, and YYZ-KIX runs from Jun. 2 to Oct. 22? I didn't realize the routes had such different durations. Regardless, Mar. 1-Nov. 29 seems quite long for "summer seasonal", with 9 out of 12 months served 4x weekly, AC should have just upped it to year round instead of adding CTS. But there you go!

I have to admit, there's been some pretty funky routes announced by both AC and WS over the last year. My biggest surprises were-
YHZ-BRU, CPH, and MAD
YUL to PMI and CTA
YYC to GRU
YVR-CTS

Then there's routes I considered more likely to be operating, yet aren't:
-YVR-DXB
-YVR-MEL
-YVR-NGO
-YYC-PVG
-YYC-PEK
-YYC-HKG
-YYC-DXB
-YYZ-BOM
-all major airports (YVR, YYC, YYZ, YUL) to mainland China

I'm happy airport across the country are getting fun new routes this year, just some stand out as surprising choices when there's seemingly more "deserved" routes without service. I know there's reasons, just still surprising.
I'm not that surprised, as AC already hinted CTS for a very very long time. And also Sapporo is a rapidly growing tourist destination, especially in the recent years, from other Asian countries and Australia. AC seems to be going after places with rapid growth, for instance BKK, CTS and places around Mediterranean such as NAP, PMI, or US cities such as AUS and BNA. For the case of BKK, AC was one of the first foreign carrier to operate long-haul nonstop, but now seems like everyone wants to fly there.

As for your list:
-YVR-DXB = route is too long with all the detour
-YVR-MEL = route is long, but AC is still looking at it
-YVR-NGO = it's less than 2 hours away from NRT or KIX with shinkansen
-YYC-PVG = AC is not interested with YYC anymore, and WS have no extra plane for the summer
-YYC-PEK = Same as above, plus route may be too long when detour around Russia
-YYC-HKG = Same as above
-YYC-DXB = Same as above, plus if AC can't make YVR work, I doubt WS can make YYC work
-YYZ-BOM = AC tried it with two different ways, but the route is too long with all the detours

So I don't see any of the route on your list is on the top priority for either airline.. maybe YVR-MEL, but I think YVR-SGN or LTH will likely at a higher priority at this point.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3996  
Old Posted Jan 22, 2026, 1:49 PM
samuelx88 samuelx88 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Québec City
Posts: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by zahav View Post
I have to admit, there's been some pretty funky routes announced by both AC and WS over the last year. My biggest surprises were-
YHZ-BRU, CPH, and MAD
YUL to PMI and CTA
YYC to GRU
YVR-CTS
Here's some other routes I didn't see coming at all within the last year:
YYZ to BEG, TIA, ACC, CWL
YQB to NTE, MRS, FDF, PTP, DFW
YUL to DSS, AGA
YWG to KEF
YEG to KEF
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3997  
Old Posted Jan 22, 2026, 5:48 PM
Pellimo Pellimo is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2022
Posts: 297
Air France is adding one more flight per week between YQB and CDG. That brings the total from 3 to 4. (In Boeing 777-300...)

The two times I took these flights, they were always almost full.

Air Transat will now fly 6 days a week between YQB and CDG, plus one flight per week to Marseille and Nantes.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3998  
Old Posted Jan 22, 2026, 6:20 PM
jc_yyc_ca jc_yyc_ca is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Calgary
Posts: 981
Quote:
Originally Posted by zahav View Post
Then there's routes I considered more likely to be operating, yet aren't:
-YVR-DXB
-YVR-MEL
-YVR-NGO
-YYC-PVG
-YYC-PEK

-YYC-HKG
-YYC-DXB
-YYZ-BOM
-all major airports (YVR, YYC, YYZ, YUL) to mainland China
I'm confident YYC to PVG or PEK will happen, but not for a bit due to the number of available 789s. Another possibility is that Hainan re-opens their PEK-YYC route now that the company is back in better financial shape. That would get around the Russian airspace issue. HKG would be great but would have to be a Chinese airline using 777 or A350.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3999  
Old Posted Jan 22, 2026, 8:24 PM
thenoflyzone thenoflyzone is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 4,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by zahav View Post
Interesting, the YVR-CTS addition is certainly a surprise for me (I obviously did not watch or read the Investor report, since it did mention it as a possibility). I hope it does well, but sounds more like a filler route that could come and go easily if something else comes up. I would think year-round KIX would have taken priority over this, given Osaka's size and importance. I wouldn't think the novelty of being the only non-stop from the Americas to CTS would be enough, but AC must know something more (at least I hope they do). Speaking of KIX, does anyone remember what the seasonal start and end dates were last year for YVR-KIX and YYZ-KIX? This year YVR-KIX runs from Mar. 1 to Nov. 29, and YYZ-KIX runs from Jun. 2 to Oct. 22? I didn't realize the routes had such different durations. Regardless, Mar. 1-Nov. 29 seems quite long for "summer seasonal", with 9 out of 12 months served 4x weekly, AC should have just upped it to year round instead of adding CTS. But there you go!

I have to admit, there's been some pretty funky routes announced by both AC and WS over the last year. My biggest surprises were-
YHZ-BRU, CPH, and MAD
YUL to PMI and CTA
YYC to GRU
YVR-CTS

Then there's routes I considered more likely to be operating, yet aren't:
-YVR-DXB
-YVR-MEL
-YVR-NGO
-YYC-PVG
-YYC-PEK
-YYC-HKG
-YYC-DXB
-YYZ-BOM
-all major airports (YVR, YYC, YYZ, YUL) to mainland China

I'm happy airport across the country are getting fun new routes this year, just some stand out as surprising choices when there's seemingly more "deserved" routes without service. I know there's reasons, just still surprising.
Notice how most of the "deserved" routes you mention are extremely long flights.

Now look at your list of "funky" flights. For the most part (except YYC-GRU), they are much shorter. Why is that you think?

None of those routes, save for YYC-GRU are funky.

Halifax-Europe makes sense, in the context that WS has no spare 787s in the summer, and sending 737s to Europe, a tourist hotbed and money printing continent at the moment, is the right move, and the only move they can make to tap into that market without additional 787s. Plus it avoids a huge backtrack to YYZ/YUL for Nova Scotia originating passengers wanting to go to Europe. The premium for a non stop to Europe from YHZ is worth it, knowing this. So there is nothing funky about Halifax-Europe, once you take into account all of these factors.

A bit of the same for YUL to the Mediterranean. Closest AC hub to Europe, within range of the XLR. So starting secondary/tertiary markets to Europe from YUL makes sense.

YVR-CTS also makes sense, in the context that demand to Japan is booming right now. It's a relatively short route, unserved from North America, and YVR is well placed to capture 6th freedom traffic from all the continent to CTS. Plus the route will most likely be an -XLR route in the near future, which will help keep costs in check if demand is lower than expected.

The only one that is funky is YYC-GRU. Very long flight, not much O&D at YYC (less than 10,000), not well timed for feed from Asia. Not well located to capture 6th freedom traffic from the biggest markets in the US to Brazil. So overall, it's a wrong decision by WS to launch this route. Then again, WS has been making wrong decisions lately. The whole 737 seat pitch fiasco was another wrong decision.

We're quite a few ppl on airliners (some of which are well respected) that are/were skeptical when WS announced GRU. That's not nothing. Might the route succeed? Sure. But there was lower hanging fruit for WS to grab. They chose the one at the top of the biggest tree in the garden.

Last edited by thenoflyzone; Jan 22, 2026 at 8:36 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4000  
Old Posted Jan 23, 2026, 3:24 AM
mxg308 mxg308 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 167
Before any of those YYC flights in terms of the 'deserved' category I would argue YOW deserves more and could easily support from AC: LHR daily, CDG, FRA and possibly FCO (seasonally) with ITA now part of Star Alliance. YYC is insanely well served for a city its size.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:58 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.