Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco101
 You are spot on about Tims. I've found that the company has been interesting in serving food items that take as little amount of labour as possible. Nevermind about pleasing customers with good tasting things, they'll just have lots of locations and be the only quick choice in smaller communities. I can't wait for the day that they get some real competition.
|
I don't remember exactly when, perhaps around the 90s they switched to their "Always Fresh" business model.
Before "Always Fresh" a baker would come in early in the morning and put flour and other ingredients in a mixer and actually bake donuts and buns.
With "Always Fresh" the product is made on an assembly line in a factory in Ontario, partially baked and flash frozen. Then in store the slip these partially baked goods into a fancy oven that is half microwave half convention oven. "Always Fresh" means they microwave batches during the day so the bake goods are not left over from the morning.
While the marking people at Tim's like the term "Always Fresh" I think a better term would be "Never Fresh". But that is just me.
Most baked goods in grocery stores are the same way. They are partially baked in a factor and then finish baked in the grocery store.
They also try to design a menu that is easy to train people and obtain a consistant product every time.