HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1201  
Old Posted Jan 13, 2026, 4:26 AM
Labroco's Avatar
Labroco Labroco is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Toronto
Posts: 844
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutroniks View Post
I thought the east facade was just missing panels because originally there was supposed to be another building on that surface lot covering that side of the building anyway?
Well I’ve owned that parking lot for almost 20 years and this is the first time I heard I was suppose to build on it! Interesting idea…

Parking lot humour aside, I do recall seeing a twinned tower study for the site during our due diligence. It was originally developed by a European Syndicate. We acquired it from them.

Last edited by Labroco; Jan 13, 2026 at 5:03 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1202  
Old Posted Jan 13, 2026, 2:19 PM
neutroniks neutroniks is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2022
Posts: 1,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labroco View Post
Well I’ve owned that parking lot for almost 20 years and this is the first time I heard I was suppose to build on it! Interesting idea…

Parking lot humour aside, I do recall seeing a twinned tower study for the site during our due diligence. It was originally developed by a European Syndicate. We acquired it from them.
Oh no, not as in anything recently. I mean, in general building design, a side of a building will be more or less bare because originally there were plans for something to erect beside it, however many decades it was ago, like how the sides of the confederate building are bare because I'm sure they were certain that others would build beside them haha.

That's interesting! Any chance you still have the study for that twin tower for history's sake?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1203  
Old Posted Jan 13, 2026, 2:44 PM
Biff's Avatar
Biff Biff is offline
What could go wrong?
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 9,938
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labroco View Post
Parking lot humour aside, I do recall seeing a twinned tower study for the site during our due diligence. It was originally developed by a European Syndicate. We acquired it from them.
Could it be that you were remembering this proposal for the new Hydro Headquarters that was where the building that houses Club 200 on Gary.

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1204  
Old Posted Jan 13, 2026, 7:30 PM
bomberjet bomberjet is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 16,373
It would be neat to have another triangle building there to complete the square, with the back lane splitting the two. But as Labroco said he's never going to build anything so it doesn't mater.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1205  
Old Posted Jan 13, 2026, 8:00 PM
Mr Tall Forehead's Avatar
Mr Tall Forehead Mr Tall Forehead is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2024
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 909
No money to build, but plenty of money to buy up half the surface parking lots downtown.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1206  
Old Posted Jan 13, 2026, 8:07 PM
Winnipeg Grump's Avatar
Winnipeg Grump Winnipeg Grump is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
Could it be that you were remembering this proposal for the new Hydro Headquarters that was where the building that houses Club 200 on Gary.

Damn, that is Fugly!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1207  
Old Posted Jan 13, 2026, 8:11 PM
pspeid's Avatar
pspeid pspeid is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 2,651
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipeg Grump View Post
Damn, that is Fugly!
Really? I thought it looked kind of like a mini Avengers headquarters.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1208  
Old Posted Jan 13, 2026, 8:29 PM
Biff's Avatar
Biff Biff is offline
What could go wrong?
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 9,938
I got a Jetsons vibe from that proposal.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1209  
Old Posted Jan 13, 2026, 8:44 PM
Winnipeg Grump's Avatar
Winnipeg Grump Winnipeg Grump is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 709
I mean if Hydro was building a new headquarters in 1958 then sure, I guess?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1210  
Old Posted Jan 13, 2026, 8:51 PM
trueviking's Avatar
trueviking trueviking is online now
surely you agree with me
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: winnipeg
Posts: 15,081
^ i was thinking more like 1993.

it would actually be pretty cool if that was standing there today, though.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1211  
Old Posted Jan 13, 2026, 8:59 PM
WestEndWander WestEndWander is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labroco View Post
Well I’ve owned that parking lot for almost 20 years and this is the first time I heard I was suppose to build on it! Interesting idea…

Parking lot humour aside, I do recall seeing a twinned tower study for the site during our due diligence. It was originally developed by a European Syndicate. We acquired it from them.

A prime example of why parking lots should be taxed (after a 3-5 year period upon acquisition) as if there is existing residential/commercial development on the site.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1212  
Old Posted Jan 13, 2026, 9:56 PM
bon_vivant bon_vivant is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2024
Posts: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestEndWander View Post
A prime example of why parking lots should be taxed (after a 3-5 year period upon acquisition) as if there is existing residential/commercial development on the site.
Agreed. Surface parking lots are a blight on downtown. I'm in favour of any measure that discourages their prolonged existence.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1213  
Old Posted Jan 14, 2026, 5:07 AM
1ajs's Avatar
1ajs 1ajs is offline
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: lynn lake
Posts: 26,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
^ i was thinking more like 1993.

it would actually be pretty cool if that was standing there today, though.
Wasn't it Donovan's or something that designed that recall it was one of us
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1214  
Old Posted Jan 14, 2026, 6:37 AM
The Jabroni's Avatar
The Jabroni The Jabroni is online now
Go kicky fast, okay!
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Winnipeg, Donut Dominion
Posts: 3,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
Could it be that you were remembering this proposal for the new Hydro Headquarters that was where the building that houses Club 200 on Gary.

This seems more like something you would find in Miami in 1995.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1215  
Old Posted Jan 14, 2026, 8:02 AM
Labroco's Avatar
Labroco Labroco is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Toronto
Posts: 844
I’ll see if I can dig up the proposal in our architectural files…
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1216  
Old Posted Jan 14, 2026, 1:58 PM
1ajs's Avatar
1ajs 1ajs is offline
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: lynn lake
Posts: 26,525
Wonder how long the manwin will sit are a burn pile after this fire
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1217  
Old Posted Jan 14, 2026, 2:19 PM
Biff's Avatar
Biff Biff is offline
What could go wrong?
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 9,938
That proposal was a design from FT3 Architecture.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1218  
Old Posted Jan 14, 2026, 2:59 PM
bomberjet bomberjet is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 16,373
Manwin burnt down, how convenient. It's odd or ironic as I was driving by yesterday. Wondered what that area could look if either Manwin completely reno'd or demolished and re-developed. Looks like the latter.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1219  
Old Posted Jan 14, 2026, 4:39 PM
neutroniks neutroniks is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2022
Posts: 1,132
The question is, how long will it stay demolished like that. I know we've let North Main go, but this is south of Higgins. I wonder if it's squatters or insurance fraud as the owner was forced to close it earlier this year.

Fingers crossed it gets redeveloped sooner rather than later, or maybe Main St Project can expand their renovations and add to their facility.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1220  
Old Posted Jan 14, 2026, 4:44 PM
bomberjet bomberjet is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 16,373
The Manwin owner will take the money and run. Land will go up for sale. Is my assumption.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 4:52 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.