Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila
The "ask" on the Illinois side was $800M for infrastructure, not the full cost of the stadium. That amount may be even less on the Indiana side with cheaper labor. The Bears would also likely request property tax relief and a cut of any sales taxes generated on the premises.
Sadly, I'm fairly confident that NWI can swing it fiscally and while the Bears do face some tradeoffs, I don't think any are dealbreakers. Football fans will drive hours to see their team play (esp in the Midwest) and the Hammond site is just 25 minutes south of the Loop. Players and execs may be able to stay in place if the Bears keep their head office and training facility at Halas Hall. Then you're only driving to Indiana 8x a year.
|
Not to slam on NW Indiana, but I think the wider perception of it is still that of a moribund region, despite all the anti-Chicago advocates who love to sing its praises. This isn't tech-rich Santa Clara, upscale Foxboro, or just over-the-river Meadowlands, etc.
I could see many fans still staying committed if in AH, Aurora, or Waukegan. Most Chicagolanders still think of those towns as being firmly in Chicago's orbit, while Kenosha or Hammond intuitively stretch that definition. Mileage from the Loop only has a part in it; it is as much psychological and perception as anything.
Would most Bears fans still identify and drive to NWI year after year, even during losing seasons? I think many would effectively bail within a few decades. The Bears would be rolling the dice to expect a critical mass of fans not to become cynical and disillusioned with a team "over there" in another state, especially if they fall on hard times.
The brand would take a hit, but maybe they wouldn't care, given they'd still be worth many billions? The NFL is mostly about TV contracts anyway, and a slight "brand hit", along with less fervent local fan loyalty, may not be that important these days. Only that conclusion by the Bears (and NFL more broadly) would have them taking up Indiana's offer IMO.
Still, as arrogant and invincible as the NFL feels, I bet they are pleading with the Bears to only use Indiana strictly as leverage. As much as the NFL loves to rip off municipalities for the shiniest news toys, I think the NFL would see NWI as a somewhat embarrassing dilution of the shield and Bears brand to relocate to Indiana.