HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #6941  
Old Posted Dec 3, 2025, 6:34 PM
cllew cllew is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 4,843
Quote:
Originally Posted by pspeid View Post
I guess "land banked" is developer euphemism for "sit empty and derelict for decades".
There is LES.net in there as a tenant with one of their 3 Winnipeg data centers in part of the building. It's not in their best interest to be in an empty derelict building with the money they spent to put their IT equipment in.

Maybe LES.net owner Les Bester bought it to become one of the AI data centers that the Premier of Manitoba wants to have in Manitoba?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6942  
Old Posted Dec 3, 2025, 7:40 PM
bomberjet bomberjet is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 16,362
Is les.net in that building or the one at Portage E? Maybe both?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6943  
Old Posted Dec 3, 2025, 7:57 PM
1ajs's Avatar
1ajs 1ajs is offline
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: lynn lake
Posts: 26,524
Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
There is LES.net in there as a tenant with one of their 3 Winnipeg data centers in part of the building. It's not in their best interest to be in an empty derelict building with the money they spent to put their IT equipment in.

Maybe LES.net owner Les Bester bought it to become one of the AI data centers that the Premier of Manitoba wants to have in Manitoba?
He's in the portage Ave East building not the Lombard building

He bought 93 Gomez last yr..
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6944  
Old Posted Dec 3, 2025, 8:00 PM
cllew cllew is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 4,843
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Is les.net in that building or the one at Portage E? Maybe both?
I thought they were the same building with two different civic addresses but I could be wrong.

Sort of like City Place building where there is one address for the 1st 4 floors (2 retail and 2 parking) off of St. Mary and the office floors 5 thru 9 have an address off of Donald.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6945  
Old Posted Dec 3, 2025, 8:55 PM
bomberjet bomberjet is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 16,362
There's 3 nutty club buildings. 2 at Westbrook. The on Labroco mentioned I Lombard near Waterfront.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6946  
Old Posted Dec 3, 2025, 9:31 PM
neutroniks neutroniks is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2022
Posts: 1,123
^^^ would be cool if they could convert the one on Waterfront into either residential or something cool like Grand Central Market in LA. They have a ton of garage doors on either side that could be open during the summer
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6947  
Old Posted Dec 3, 2025, 9:41 PM
trueviking's Avatar
trueviking trueviking is offline
surely you agree with me
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: winnipeg
Posts: 15,077
I wonder if the Richardsons bought it. I hope they don't demolish it.

i also hope it doesn't become a fake old building made of Styrofoam painted like bricks.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6948  
Old Posted Dec 3, 2025, 9:42 PM
bomberjet bomberjet is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 16,362
I think labroco did.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6949  
Old Posted Dec 3, 2025, 9:54 PM
FactaNV FactaNV is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2023
Posts: 2,379
If its too cloae to doxxing fair eniugh but does anyone know which company labroco owns? I think he's a developer but dont know any of his builds.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6950  
Old Posted Dec 3, 2025, 11:09 PM
bomberjet bomberjet is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 16,362
The name is like a puzzle. The pieces are right there.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6951  
Old Posted Dec 4, 2025, 12:22 AM
trueviking's Avatar
trueviking trueviking is offline
surely you agree with me
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: winnipeg
Posts: 15,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
I think labroco did.
Ah. Missed that. He’s good at finding uses for old buildings so hopefully it will become active again and saved for the next generations.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6952  
Old Posted Dec 4, 2025, 2:21 PM
TimeFadesAway TimeFadesAway is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 777
Quote:
Originally Posted by FactaNV View Post
If its too cloae to doxxing fair eniugh but does anyone know which company labroco owns? I think he's a developer but dont know any of his builds.
Given that the username is a shortened version of the company name, I don't think it would be doxxing. I don't know that the user is the owner, but the company is Leon A. Brown, which I don't believe they're trying to hide.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6953  
Old Posted Dec 4, 2025, 3:08 PM
drew's Avatar
drew drew is offline
the first stamp is free
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hippyville, Winnipeg
Posts: 8,929
Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
Ah. Missed that. He’s good at finding uses for old buildings so hopefully it will become active again and saved for the next generations.
Love to hear more about some specific examples.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6954  
Old Posted Dec 4, 2025, 6:48 PM
Brick&BRT Brick&BRT is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2025
Posts: 46
I would also like to hear specific examples; was unaware of this.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6955  
Old Posted Dec 4, 2025, 9:52 PM
WinCitySparky's Avatar
WinCitySparky WinCitySparky is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 2,415
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6956  
Old Posted Dec 4, 2025, 10:34 PM
drew's Avatar
drew drew is offline
the first stamp is free
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hippyville, Winnipeg
Posts: 8,929
^ I checked the website before I posted the request.

I could be wrong, but it seems like they purchase buildings and leave them be - or least let them function as the do at the time of purchase.

I don't see any active redevelopment or repurpose of a building into residential conversions or anything like that.

If that is true - it is a shame that they got their claws into the Nutty Club on Lombard, and not a developer that will bring the building into it's full potential.

strategic acquisition and will be land banked for future redevelopment doesn't exactly scream out a positive outcome for a building with a lot of potential and a great location.

Again - assumptions on my part - but I would be happy to be wrong here.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6957  
Old Posted Dec 4, 2025, 10:47 PM
neutroniks neutroniks is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2022
Posts: 1,123
Visited that link and 45 Lily looks like it could have been renovated inside and out & made into a nice AirBNB for large groups visiting Winnipeg. But it looks completely bare. And a shame that nothing was done to preserve the original interior. It looks like someone detonated a white paint bomb in every room. Kind of unsettling, tbh. I bet that house has stories to tell.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6958  
Old Posted Dec 5, 2025, 12:04 AM
cllew cllew is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 4,843
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
^ I checked the website before I posted the request.

I could be wrong, but it seems like they purchase buildings and leave them be - or least let them function as the do at the time of purchase.

I don't see any active redevelopment or repurpose of a building into residential conversions or anything like that.

If that is true - it is a shame that they got their claws into the Nutty Club on Lombard, and not a developer that will bring the building into it's full potential.

strategic acquisition and will be land banked for future redevelopment doesn't exactly scream out a positive outcome for a building with a lot of potential and a great location.

Again - assumptions on my part - but I would be happy to be wrong here.
There is a 45 unit apartment block at 835 Nortre Dame by HSC that went up on a former gas station site that they owned. I am not sure if they did the development or sold the lot to somebody else.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6959  
Old Posted Dec 5, 2025, 12:11 AM
Mr Tall Forehead's Avatar
Mr Tall Forehead Mr Tall Forehead is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2024
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 907
They sold the Notre Dame lot that the new building is on.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6960  
Old Posted Dec 5, 2025, 3:43 AM
drew's Avatar
drew drew is offline
the first stamp is free
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hippyville, Winnipeg
Posts: 8,929
Selling an empty or underused lot to build a new structure is a far different animal than repurposing a heritage building. This is why there are so few developers that are capable of doing it.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:11 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.