Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad
yes
It would be nice, but, several sources report it will be six storeys.
The fact that they are presenting to council in interesting. I believe they have incentive to get started quickly (next spring). Sources say that they have a lessee for the ground level commercial space (a restaurant).
I really want to see a new rendering. Despite the height of this building getting kneecapped, six storey construction on a main downtown street will add a lot to density, and, even a six storey building can be architecturally interesting.
|
That's good... like, even pushing for it to be a 8-10 storey building with a parking podium would be a significant win. Would be good to see someone on council ask about the prospects for a podium for parking and mixed uses that could get the project higher than six storeys.
I bet you know a few ppl on council who'd be willing to ask, or at least make it clear they're disappointed with the huge decrease in height for this proposal.
Imo, the minimum for something zoned high rise should be 8 or 10 storeys. I know Moncton and Saint John have lots of room left for buildings of 20-30+ storeys within their core and core adjacent areas, but still... most 6 storey builds built within the core could have been 10-10-20+ storey builds with more ambitious proposals. Moncton especially needs to prioritize 10-15+ storey developments to fill out the skyline and start actually looking like a city approaching 200k and beyond.
I'm cherry picking a bit (or a lot) with this picture of the Regina, SK skyline, as it's a provincial capital and a bit of an exception in terms of it's skyline, but Saskatoon has seen explosive high rise growth in recent years, and it's certainly not the capital. The funny thing is, is that despite Regina having the much beefier skyline than Saskatoon, Regina's downtown really isn't a very happening place, and most of the buildings that much the skyline so impressive are office space. Saskatoon's downtown is also a lot closer to the U of S than Regina's downtown is to the U of R. The City of Regina actually just posted this survey today for
on a new strategy for Centre Square, the area directly to the south of downtown Regina.
Regina Skyline:
Saskatoon Skyline:
If anything Saskatoon is more analogous to Moncton, and Regina is sort of analogous to a combination of Fredericton and Saint John, with a lake waterfront instead of a river/ocean waterfront. However, neither Saskatoon nor Regina have a situation where their suburbs make up 40-50% of their CMAs like here in NB... but I'll leave that topic a lone, lmao.
At the very least, I assume most people looking to move to another city in Canada, or moving to Canada from another country, look up pictures and videos of the city on google. If someone was looking up pictures of the Regina and Moncton skylines, and didn't look up the climate, it might influence them to pick Regina over Moncton.
I hope Moncton continues to fill out that skyline and keeps on raising the bar for high rise developments in New Brunswick.
I also hope Moncton council doesn't let this developer off too easy... a mild chastising would be more than deserved, at this point, haha.