HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #63261  
Old Posted Nov 6, 2025, 3:22 AM
ethereal_reality's Avatar
ethereal_reality ethereal_reality is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lafayette/West Lafayette IN, Purdue U.
Posts: 18,057


Yep.




Thanks, fullpower.

I wonder whatever became of Jon Douglas?

.
     
     
  #63262  
Old Posted Nov 6, 2025, 5:14 AM
Bristolian's Avatar
Bristolian Bristolian is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: The Outskirts
Posts: 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
Thanks for the correction, Hoss.

This intriguing photograph was just posted on eBay.

The seller says it is of Los Angeles. . .but is it?

"Old Vintage Photo EARLY LOS ANGELES STREET SCENE STREETCAR TRACKS SMOKESTACK"



Help me out here, folks.

eBay
.
I can't help with this but did notice another interesting old photo from the same seller described as "Los Angeles City Scene"
With the special border, I think it's safe to say this one is Los Angeles.


https://www.ebay.com/itm/406203168043?_s...E&hash=item5e9398752b:g:eX8AAeSwUvtowepz
     
     
  #63263  
Old Posted Nov 6, 2025, 5:34 AM
HenryHuntington HenryHuntington is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: The OC
Posts: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
Thanks for the correction, Hoss.

This intriguing photograph was just posted on eBay.

The seller says it is of Los Angeles. . .but is it?

"Old Vintage Photo EARLY LOS ANGELES STREET SCENE STREETCAR TRACKS SMOKESTACK"



Help me out here, folks.

eBay
.
_______________________

I wish I could be more help with this photo, e-r. The scene doesn't resemble any photos of a PE location that I can recall. Google Lens suggests that it's looking north on Brand Blvd. in Glendale, but the discrepancies from that location and period are numerous. I'll try a more thorough investigation tomorrow if I can carve out some time. Perhaps the mystery will be solved in the meantime.
     
     
  #63264  
Old Posted Nov 6, 2025, 7:31 AM
HossC's Avatar
HossC HossC is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 4,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryHuntington View Post

I wish I could be more help with this photo, e-r. The scene doesn't resemble any photos of a PE location that I can recall. Google Lens suggests that it's looking north on Brand Blvd. in Glendale, but the discrepancies from that location and period are numerous. I'll try a more thorough investigation tomorrow if I can carve out some time. Perhaps the mystery will be solved in the meantime.
I got the same result, but when I pushed Google Lens further it was also convinced that we were looking at Main Street, Vancouver and Main Street, Salt Lake City. It also provided a link to why AI might be wrong!
     
     
  #63265  
Old Posted Nov 6, 2025, 2:44 PM
Lwize Lwize is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 609
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
.


I haven't thought of this Culver City sign - designed like a miniature Hollywood sign- in years.


eBay 1980s (the decade I lived in L.A.)

Is it still there?... (I'd check myself but I don't remember the cross street)


.
Sepulveda and W Centinela.

Yes, the sign is still there. (Google maps Sept 2025, at least - can't host the image, sorry)
     
     
  #63266  
Old Posted Nov 6, 2025, 2:47 PM
Lwize Lwize is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 609
Tangentially relevant to Noir Los Angeles

Every Noir film had smoggy, choking LA as a backdrop.

Here's a new podcast from the LA Times: Smoglandia!

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/bo...-smoglandia/id1789228538?i=1000733121145
     
     
  #63267  
Old Posted Nov 6, 2025, 4:17 PM
Bristolian's Avatar
Bristolian Bristolian is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: The Outskirts
Posts: 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryHuntington View Post
_______________________

I wish I could be more help with this photo, e-r. The scene doesn't resemble any photos of a PE location that I can recall. Google Lens suggests that it's looking north on Brand Blvd. in Glendale, but the discrepancies from that location and period are numerous. I'll try a more thorough investigation tomorrow if I can carve out some time. Perhaps the mystery will be solved in the meantime.
FWIW and without doing any real research, the tall power poles with the six crossbeams don't look like anything I remember seeing in photos of old Los Angeles. The mountains in the background, and having driven through there a few years ago make me think the Salt Lake City possibility that Hoss got from Google may be accurate.

This undated photo from a Salt Lake Tribune article shows Main Street, SLC with two tracks and some similar utility poles


https://archive.sltrib.com/article.php?id=3689666&itype=CMSID#gallery-carousel-446996

Last edited by Bristolian; Nov 6, 2025 at 8:46 PM.
     
     
  #63268  
Old Posted Nov 7, 2025, 1:50 AM
ethereal_reality's Avatar
ethereal_reality ethereal_reality is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lafayette/West Lafayette IN, Purdue U.
Posts: 18,057
.
Thanks to everyone who has been trying to solve the mystery photograph I posted several days ago. I appreciate your input.


Quote:
Originally Posted by fullpower View Post
Bundy and Olympic
Thanks, fullpower.





I have another mystery phootgraph for tonight - I just happened upon at eBay.


This one.


. . on the reverse.





Google Maps led me to the City of Industry and the intersection of San Jose Avenue and Nogales Street.

Go HERE to look around.

As you can see (if my link worked) the area is nothing like what we see in the eBay photo.



Here's closer look at the vintage street scene.


Link


I could use some help.


Last edited by ethereal_reality; Nov 7, 2025 at 11:33 PM.
     
     
  #63269  
Old Posted Nov 7, 2025, 2:40 AM
odinthor's Avatar
odinthor odinthor is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 1,654
.

Last edited by odinthor; Nov 7, 2025 at 2:54 AM.
     
     
  #63270  
Old Posted Nov 7, 2025, 2:53 AM
odinthor's Avatar
odinthor odinthor is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 1,654


According to the Los Angeles Times of May 15, 1958, Harold's Surplus was at 441 N. San Fernando Road, Burbank.

According to the Los Angeles Times of May 5, 1963, Ed's Men's Wear was at 433 N. San Fernando Blvd., Burbank.

According to the Los Angeles Times of April 21, 1957, Sears was at 429 N. San Fernando Road, Burbank.

     
     
  #63271  
Old Posted Nov 7, 2025, 7:29 AM
ProphetM ProphetM is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 510
And it seems the entire 400 & 500 blocks of San Fernando have been eaten up by the Burbank Town Center shopping mall, street and all. And that includes the cross street... San Jose.
     
     
  #63272  
Old Posted Nov 7, 2025, 11:05 PM
ethereal_reality's Avatar
ethereal_reality ethereal_reality is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lafayette/West Lafayette IN, Purdue U.
Posts: 18,057
.
Thanks for your help, odinthor (and ProphetM)

Quote:
Originally Posted by odinthor View Post
According to the Los Angeles Times of May 15, 1958, Harold's Surplus was at 441 N. San Fernando Road, Burbank.

According to the Los Angeles Times of May 5, 1963, Ed's Men's Wear was at 433 N. San Fernando Blvd., Burbank.

According to the Los Angeles Times of April 21, 1957, Sears was at 429 N. San Fernando Road, Burbank.

I just noticed a sign for a hotel in the eBay photo that I hadn't noticed earlier. . . but I don't see the actual building.



DETAIL

As you can see it's ____Town Hotel and APTS. I'm wondering what the full name of it is and. . where's the building!?!

.
     
     
  #63273  
Old Posted Nov 7, 2025, 11:30 PM
ethereal_reality's Avatar
ethereal_reality ethereal_reality is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lafayette/West Lafayette IN, Purdue U.
Posts: 18,057
.
ALSO currently on eBay



eBay


. . .and the reverse.






And -as I am wont to do - a closer look!



We have no doubt seen the Spring Street School on NLA but it's such a great photograph I thought I'd post it anyway.

.
     
     
  #63274  
Old Posted Nov 7, 2025, 11:49 PM
ethereal_reality's Avatar
ethereal_reality ethereal_reality is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lafayette/West Lafayette IN, Purdue U.
Posts: 18,057

Romance is in the air.



eBay

I wonder if this was their first date

.
     
     
  #63275  
Old Posted Nov 8, 2025, 3:51 PM
Scott Charles's Avatar
Scott Charles Scott Charles is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 713
Back in 2018, I wrote the following:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Charles View Post
Could you describe what the lights on the Richfield Building's “derrick” actually did? I've heard the lights were animated, and simulated an erupting geyser - is that correct?

Of course, I'd LOVE to see a movie of the tower's lighting, but I don't know that such a thing exists.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal View Post
I remember someone on NLA writing about attending Dodger games and on the way home seeing the Richfield Building lit up.
UPDATE: This video was posted on YouTube just over one month ago. Both of the two following shots feature the Richfield building in the background... and what do these brief clips reveal?





There it is on video! The Richfield “antenna” really DID have animated lights that simulated a geyser!





The Richfield section occurs at around 8:10 in the video:
• Video Link


Perhaps this is a minor thing, but it solves a big mystery for me!

Last edited by Scott Charles; Nov 8, 2025 at 8:07 PM.
     
     
  #63276  
Old Posted Nov 8, 2025, 5:11 PM
Scott Charles's Avatar
Scott Charles Scott Charles is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 713
Mystery Structures

I was searching through this thread for photos of the Stimson Building when I came across this fantastic photo posted by JScott:


U.S.C Digital Library/California Historical Society <--- this link is no longer working
I've darkened the image a bit, as the original is quite overexposed.

While scanning through the photograph, I came across some unidentified (at least to me) details. Does anyone know what these structures in the distant background are (or were)?

This dark, and seemingly huge, building far off in the distance behind the Stimson Building:



Also, this other seemingly quite large building (or facade) visible behind the panorama building of the Battle of Paris:



Any ideas?
I've borrowed the whip from _er_...
     
     
  #63277  
Old Posted Nov 8, 2025, 5:19 PM
Martin Pal Martin Pal is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 2,725
Scott Charles, that is pretty amazing that you noticed that Richfield neon--in motion--in the video! Now I wonder why footage of that sign wasn't specifically ever shot over the years? I had watched this video sometime after it was posted and did not catch this.

Today there are a lot of confirmations online that this neon display actually existed, and a lot of lamentations there is no filmed footage of it, in color or b&w.

Such as:
The terra cotta clad building was topped with angel figures and a 130 foot animated lighted tower that simulated an erupting oil well. The RICHFIELD neon lighting was the tallest electrical sign in the world that could be seen a 100 miles away.
     
     
  #63278  
Old Posted Nov 8, 2025, 5:47 PM
AlvaroLegido's Avatar
AlvaroLegido AlvaroLegido is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Paris
Posts: 311
An orphanage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Charles View Post
I was searching through this thread for photos of the Stimson Building when I came across this fantastic photo posted by JScott:


U.S.C Digital Library/California Historical Society <--- this link is no longer working
I've darkened the image a bit, as the original is quite overexposed.

While scanning through the photograph, I came across some unidentified (at least to me) details. Does anyone know what these structures in the distant background are (or were)?

This dark, and seemingly huge, building far off in the distance behind the Stimson Building:


If I remember correctly, our former noirisher CityBoy Doug replied that it was an orphanage where he had stayed.
     
     
  #63279  
Old Posted Nov 8, 2025, 8:07 PM
HossC's Avatar
HossC HossC is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 4,732


I'm sure we have seen the Sisters Orphanage/Los Angeles Orphanage before, but my searches didn't find any surviving photos on the thread (I'm sure someone will prove me wrong). Here's the orphanage in 1950. It stood at 917 South Boyle Avenue, Boyle Heights. Constructed 1890-92, it was damaged in the Long Beach Earthquake of 1933, but was still in use up to 1950. It was demolished in 1957.


USCDL
     
     
  #63280  
Old Posted Nov 8, 2025, 8:08 PM
Bristolian's Avatar
Bristolian Bristolian is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: The Outskirts
Posts: 519


Is it the orphanage mentioned here by e_r? It looks to be the same building.

https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showpost.php?p=10058818&postcount=60828

Also posted here by none other than Hoss himself:

https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showpost.php?p=6979169&postcount=27505

In a response to this post, CBD said that his stepfather had threatened to put him there.

Last edited by Bristolian; Nov 8, 2025 at 9:34 PM.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 4:14 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.