HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #13021  
Old Posted Oct 11, 2025, 4:48 PM
kjmz kjmz is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Posts: 33
I tried the FX3 route after work this past week. First two days, the bus came every six minutes as designed, then the next three days it came every 20 minutes and was packed, so I couldn’t even get on. I would have thought the kinks would have been ironed out by now.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #13022  
Old Posted Oct 11, 2025, 6:35 PM
cllew cllew is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 4,843
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjmz View Post
I tried the FX3 route after work this past week. First two days, the bus came every six minutes as designed, then the next three days it came every 20 minutes and was packed, so I couldn’t even get on. I would have thought the kinks would have been ironed out by now.
I wonder how many of the new routes are still being filled on people doing overtime due to driver shortages? If nobody wants to work o/t or are off sick then there are going to be gaps in the available buses.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #13023  
Old Posted Oct 12, 2025, 3:32 PM
kjmz kjmz is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Posts: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
I wonder how many of the new routes are still being filled on people doing overtime due to driver shortages? If nobody wants to work o/t or are off sick then there are going to be gaps in the available buses.
All I can say is that I feel for the people that rely on public transit. It’s not frequent and it’s not reliable. It’s an embarrassment.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #13024  
Old Posted Oct 14, 2025, 12:13 AM
FactaNV FactaNV is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2023
Posts: 2,378
So with the switch complete, what are the odds we stsrtvto see new brt infrastructure in the next couple years? Im dreading thst itll be years yet while city is building the sewage plant.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #13025  
Old Posted Oct 14, 2025, 12:25 AM
bomberjet bomberjet is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 16,357
Im out of the loop on the downtown corridors timing. We'll find out at least during budget time. Last I heard was rfp in early 2026 for the preliminary design. We're at least, at least, like 7 years away from a completed downtown BRT through Union Station type thing. If i was betting its post 2035.

Prove me wrong City of Winnipeg, prove me wrong!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #13026  
Old Posted Oct 14, 2025, 12:43 AM
FactaNV FactaNV is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2023
Posts: 2,378
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Im out of the loop on the downtown corridors timing. We'll find out at least during budget time. Last I heard was rfp in early 2026 for the preliminary design. We're at least, at least, like 7 years away from a completed downtown BRT through Union Station type thing. If i was betting its post 2035.

Prove me wrong City of Winnipeg, prove me wrong!
God that is so depressing. The fact any civic project takes a decade to complete shows institutional level inefficiencies that need addressing at all levels of Canadian society.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #13027  
Old Posted Oct 14, 2025, 2:54 AM
WinCitySparky's Avatar
WinCitySparky WinCitySparky is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 2,414
Nothing ever happens
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #13028  
Old Posted Oct 14, 2025, 2:59 AM
FactaNV FactaNV is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2023
Posts: 2,378
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #13029  
Old Posted Oct 15, 2025, 4:35 PM
neutroniks neutroniks is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2022
Posts: 1,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by FactaNV View Post
God that is so depressing. The fact any civic project takes a decade to complete shows institutional level inefficiencies that need addressing at all levels of Canadian society.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #13030  
Old Posted Oct 15, 2025, 10:02 PM
FactaNV FactaNV is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2023
Posts: 2,378
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutroniks View Post
This is certainly a vibe lmao. Definitely aint wrong.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #13031  
Old Posted Oct 15, 2025, 11:17 PM
Kinguni's Avatar
Kinguni Kinguni is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Manitoba
Posts: 1,570
Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
I wonder how many of the new routes are still being filled on people doing overtime due to driver shortages? If nobody wants to work o/t or are off sick then there are going to be gaps in the available buses.
There was very little overtime available during the summer change. I'm told there is plenty to be had now, but I haven't heard of buses not going out due to no drivers available. Good odds on construction delays or interlining with routes that have delays.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #13032  
Old Posted Oct 16, 2025, 3:39 AM
The Jabroni's Avatar
The Jabroni The Jabroni is offline
Go kicky fast, okay!
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Winnipeg, Donut Dominion
Posts: 3,379
If I were to hazard a guess, the buses would be more "on-time" in the winter schedule season than the spring and summer schedule seasons.
__________________
Back then, I used to be indecisive.

Now, I'm not so sure.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #13033  
Old Posted Oct 16, 2025, 3:44 AM
bomberjet bomberjet is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 16,357
Ive been thinking something like this! In winter, will everything just be delayed, so it'll basicLly just be on time again?! Lol

Because what I've found is that today for example, my bus was delayed a couple minutes by a train, and that made me miss my connection. So i had to wait almost 20 minutes. But if that connection would've been delayed by 2 minutes; I would've made it. Maybe winter chaos will be the saviour. Because rhe new network has been not good for me, as predicted.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #13034  
Old Posted Oct 18, 2025, 4:44 AM
plrh plrh is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 946
I took the bus home from the Bomber game tonight. First time since the transit changeover. It was insanely awful. I waited in line for 30 minutes to get on the Blue Line before I gave up and took a different bus.
I used to take the 78, door to door in 30 or 35 minutes. This time I got on the 74 (because it was available) which went through Bridgwater and Whyte Ridge before a few of us decided to get off and split an Uber. It would have taken the same amount of time if I walked home to River Heights.
Why don't they have like 20 Blue Line busses ready to go and waiting after the game?
Taking the bus is no longer an option for Bomber games for me. And an Uber split between 4 people isn't really much more expensive. Why has transit given up on central neighbourhoods?
Sorry SSP, I just needed to vent.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #13035  
Old Posted Oct 18, 2025, 4:57 AM
Kinguni's Avatar
Kinguni Kinguni is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Manitoba
Posts: 1,570
Quote:
Originally Posted by plrh View Post
I took the bus home from the Bomber game tonight. .First time since the transit changeover. It was insanely awful. I waited in line for 30 minutes to get on the Blue Line before I gave up and took a different bus.
I used to take the 78, door to door in 30 or 35 minutes. This time I got on the 74 (because it was available) which went through Bridgwater and Whyte Ridge before a few of us decided to get off and split an Uber. It would have taken the same amount of time if I walked home to River Heights.
Why don't they have like 20 Blue Line busses ready to go and waiting after the game?
Taking the bus is no longer an option for Bomber games for me. And an Uber split between 4 people isn't really much more expensive. Why has transit given up on central neighbourhoods?
Sorry SSP, I just needed to vent.
Venting is good. I was observing the buses a little. On a Blue within 10 minutes of getting to the stop, on our way 5 minutes later. Big slowdown is cash payment of fare. An offboard payment system would help. Would also help if they'd load more than one or two buses at a time. We grabbed the Blue downtown. The crowds waiting to get on the Blue to Seel Station looked insane though.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #13036  
Old Posted Oct 19, 2025, 9:52 PM
kjmz kjmz is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Posts: 33
Another article criticizing the new transit system. Can’t wait for another “misinformation” page from Winnipeg Transit:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/city-planning-winnipeg-transit-overhaul-criticism-9.6943190
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #13037  
Old Posted Oct 19, 2025, 10:45 PM
Kinguni's Avatar
Kinguni Kinguni is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Manitoba
Posts: 1,570
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjmz View Post
Another article criticizing the new transit system. Can’t wait for another “misinformation” page from Winnipeg Transit:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/city-planning-winnipeg-transit-overhaul-criticism-9.6943190
I understand where the problems lie. Main lines need to connect with the feeders. Not so much an issue when I drive, mostly in the morning but it's gotta 🞵🞵🞵🞵 for people getting home from work or classes. Needs to be something in place to make sure people aren't missing scheduled connections with the community routes as it can be a very long wait for the next one.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #13038  
Old Posted Oct 19, 2025, 10:49 PM
FactaNV FactaNV is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2023
Posts: 2,378
From what Ive been hearing (Im not in province atm and wont be back until next summer), it seems like WT put the cart before the horse. They implemented the BRT system without the infrastructure in place so now you have none of the benefits of the BRT routing, all of the downsides from removing neighbourhood routes and with all of the old deficiencies from the previous system; bunching, slow loading, etc.

I dont envy the bosses of WT right now.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #13039  
Old Posted Oct 19, 2025, 10:51 PM
bomberjet bomberjet is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 16,357
That is the main issue ive dealt with. Missing my connection when leaving downtown. Can be up to a 30 minute wait. My whole ride before was 22 minutes.

So in the morning if I can catch the 38 (frequency is like 30 mins at this point), I'll do that and connect with the F8 on Henderson with decent success. F route frequency is 10 mins and has been good. F8 drops me off right at work so thats the preference.

If not ill walk 10 mins to the FX4 on Gateway and not have to transfer. Then walk again downtown for 10 minutes from portage to work. Going home I'm just doing the FX4. Ive never made good timing for the F8 connection to the 38 on Henderson at Johnson.

My trip time now is just over 40 minutes to over an hour if i try do do the connection after work. Winter i am not looking forward to..
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #13040  
Old Posted Oct 19, 2025, 10:56 PM
Kinguni's Avatar
Kinguni Kinguni is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Manitoba
Posts: 1,570
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
That is the main issue ive dealt with. Missing my connection when leaving downtown. Can be up to a 30 minute wait. My whole ride before was 22 minutes.

So in the morning if I can catch the 38 (frequency is like 30 mins at this point), I'll do that and connect with the F8 on Henderson with decent success. F route frequency is 10 mins and has been good. F8 drops me off right at work so thats the preference.

If not ill walk 10 mins to the FX4 on Gateway and not have to transfer. Then walk again downtown for 10 minutes from portage to work. Going home I'm just doing the FX4. Ive never made good timing for the F8 connection to the 38 on Henderson at Johnson.

My trip time now is just over 40 minutes to over an hour if i try do do the connection after work. Winter i am not looking forward to..
Those that used the former rush hour express buses are most impacted. Many of them were underutilized though, especially post-Covid.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 9:23 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.