Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking
Won’t save downtown but having half a million square feet of empty mall across three city blocks along the downtown’s main artery would have certainly killed it.
I personally think this project will be one of the most impactful megaprojects we’ve seen. The medical component will bring big numbers of people downtown. Likely attracting support services. The mall will be right scaled. A major grocery store. More housing. I think it will be a big step in the right direction.
Add the Bay and that’s a million square feet of building that would have been empty. Together they will add almost 700 new homes. In a downtown with a population of 17,000 that could be impactful. Add 308 Colony and you are probably bringing 1,500 more residents on that couple blocks. That’s like adding a Saint Adolphe! Ha ha.
|
I think anything this huge can't help but be impactful. I'm not sure who has been saying the project will "save downtown" though. That could be wishful thinking on behalf of some people, or some hyperbole by a media outlet, but I believe even True North have said it's a component of downtown revitalization, not a "magic bullet".