HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #3201  
Old Posted May 23, 2025, 11:27 AM
Saul Goode Saul Goode is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Posts: 1,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNovaScotian View Post
This current version has got to one of the ugliest proposed buildings yet. At one of the entrances to downtown Dartmouth no less. It looks similar to the horrendous building at the base of Montebello. https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=243564
Seconded - it's 🞵🞵🞵🞵-ugly. Barely an improvement over the derelict gas station it's replacing - just as ugly but on a much larger scale.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3202  
Old Posted May 23, 2025, 2:21 PM
OldDartmouthMark OldDartmouthMark is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 10,536
I'll take the gas station, thank you.

Surely they can do better than this.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3203  
Old Posted May 23, 2025, 5:49 PM
someone123's Avatar
someone123 someone123 is online now
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 36,002
It looks like a mix between an apartment building and a 70's industrial building with corrugated metal cladding.

I do like the massing and curve for that corner but why so bland and ugly? Hopefully some of it is just the rendering.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3204  
Old Posted May 23, 2025, 6:41 PM
Jstaleness's Avatar
Jstaleness Jstaleness is offline
Jelly Bean Sandwich
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Dartmouth
Posts: 1,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
I'll take the gas station, thank you.

Surely they can do better than this.
100% Agree Mark
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3205  
Old Posted May 23, 2025, 6:59 PM
DartmouthSteve DartmouthSteve is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2024
Posts: 32
I have lived a stone's throw from that gas station for the past 24+ years and have always thout it would make a great dinner or pub. I like the mid century design. So, count me in the minority of those who will miss it.

However, I'm in favour of density in that area, however, but that design is not it. Almost as ugly as when I accidentally open my phone camera is selfie mode. No one wants to see that.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3206  
Old Posted May 23, 2025, 10:35 PM
Five Four's Avatar
Five Four Five Four is offline
Sandwiches time
 
Join Date: Nov 2022
Posts: 171
Something I see a lot in Halifax are buildings clearly designed to be much taller that look cut off. A good example is The George on Pepperell.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3207  
Old Posted May 31, 2025, 12:08 AM
JET JET is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,056
The gas station is gone, trees cleared out, and fencing is up.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3208  
Old Posted May 31, 2025, 11:54 AM
Keith P.'s Avatar
Keith P. Keith P. is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 8,900
Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
The gas station is gone, trees cleared out, and fencing is up.
And many of the locals are on FB wailing about what a shame it is, how it will now become "another high-rise", and how someone should have preserved it as a heritage site. I kid you not.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3209  
Old Posted May 31, 2025, 4:53 PM
JET JET is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,056
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
And many of the locals are on FB wailing about what a shame it is, how it will now become "another high-rise", and how someone should have preserved it as a heritage site. I kid you not.
I reckon it’s a good thing I left Facebook. That corner was an eyesore for too long.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3210  
Old Posted Jun 1, 2025, 1:35 AM
OldDartmouthMark OldDartmouthMark is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 10,536
Quote:
Originally Posted by DartmouthSteve View Post
I have lived a stone's throw from that gas station for the past 24+ years and have always thout it would make a great dinner or pub. I like the mid century design. So, count me in the minority of those who will miss it.
This is pretty much my opinion dead on. While most old buildings would be considered an eyesore by most when they are allowed to be run down, mid century buildings - even gas stations - have a charm to their design that is quickly disappearing from the landscape. Had this one been converted to a nice little restaurant or brewpub, with some creative decor, it could have been a really nice way to preserve a little bit of this design.

IMHO, there are many opportunities to increase density in the area without using this prominent lot to contain the proposed building that I will consider paying it a compliment to call it ugly.

I do agree with JET (actually in most areas other than this particular building) that staying off of fakebook, and most other social media platforms is a good idea. That is, unless messageboards like this one are considered social media...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3211  
Old Posted Jun 1, 2025, 10:58 AM
JET JET is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,056
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
This is pretty much my opinion dead on. While most old buildings would be considered an eyesore by most when they are allowed to be run down, mid century buildings - even gas stations - have a charm to their design that is quickly disappearing from the landscape. Had this one been converted to a nice little restaurant or brewpub, with some creative decor, it could have been a really nice way to preserve a little bit of this design.

IMHO, there are many opportunities to increase density in the area without using this prominent lot to contain the proposed building that I will consider paying it a compliment to call it ugly.

I do agree with JET (actually in most areas other than this particular building) that staying off of fakebook, and most other social media platforms is a good idea. That is, unless messageboards like this one are considered social media...
Thanks Mark, one of the things that I like about this forum is that it is moderated, and while people do disagree, there is no acceptance of abuse, unlike Facebook where it is pervasive.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3212  
Old Posted Jun 1, 2025, 3:04 PM
Keith P.'s Avatar
Keith P. Keith P. is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 8,900
Quote:
Originally Posted by DartmouthSteve View Post
I have lived a stone's throw from that gas station for the past 24+ years and have always thout it would make a great dinner or pub. I like the mid century design. So, count me in the minority of those who will miss it.
All well and good except for the reality when it comes to money. Most new restos fail within 5 years and given the relatively small footprint of the old building it would not be a volume spot. The renos required would be extensive and expensive. And that’s not even taking into account the extensive site remediation required after many decades of being a gas station which means the entire site needs to be dug up to considerable depth and hauled away, which the proposed new development would do as a matter of course.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3213  
Old Posted Jun 1, 2025, 5:12 PM
OldDartmouthMark OldDartmouthMark is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 10,536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
All well and good except for the reality when it comes to money. Most new restos fail within 5 years and given the relatively small footprint of the old building it would not be a volume spot. The renos required would be extensive and expensive. And that’s not even taking into account the extensive site remediation required after many decades of being a gas station which means the entire site needs to be dug up to considerable depth and hauled away, which the proposed new development would do as a matter of course.
You can make that argument for just about anything, though. IMHO, there is not enough priority being placed upon creating nice neighbourhoods by preserving some interesting structures, while establishing density in others (and there must be some way of improving the standard for the appearance of these new buildings...).

As far as the remediation goes, I suspect that was already done by Irving when the gas pumps were removed, as an environmental requirement. I am open to be corrected, though, if anybody knows for certain.

I think that you would be correct about it not being a high volume restaurant, but it could survive as a vintage-style takeout, or a small brewpub/beer garden though that market is somewhat saturated these days.

Either way it's a moot point as demolition has occurred.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3214  
Old Posted Jun 1, 2025, 5:20 PM
OldDartmouthMark OldDartmouthMark is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 10,536
Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
Thanks Mark, one of the things that I like about this forum is that it is moderated, and while people do disagree, there is no acceptance of abuse, unlike Facebook where it is pervasive.


As a completely off-topic side note, I honestly feel that the proliferation of social media, and people allowing it to become such a large part their lives is the root cause of a lot of the divisiveness and depression/anxiety that has exploded in our society these days.

Growing up in a time when most of your contact with other people was face-to-face, it felt like there was a greater sense of mutual respect (or at least politeness) that didn't isolate and cut into the sense of well-being of most people as much of social media does these days. The anonymity and lack of recourse associated with participating in these platforms has really taken its toll on society, IMHO.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3215  
Old Posted Jun 1, 2025, 8:02 PM
DartmouthSteve DartmouthSteve is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2024
Posts: 32
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
All well and good except for the reality when it comes to money. Most new restos fail within 5 years and given the relatively small footprint of the old building it would not be a volume spot. The renos required would be extensive and expensive. And that’s not even taking into account the extensive site remediation required after many decades of being a gas station which means the entire site needs to be dug up to considerable depth and hauled away, which the proposed new development would do as a matter of course.
For sure, but the second part of my post went on to say I welcomed density in that spot, but I am not a fan of the design renderings.Another member posted that spot as the gateway to downtown, and the building should have more presence (I'm parafrasing). I totally agree.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3216  
Old Posted Jun 1, 2025, 8:19 PM
Keith P.'s Avatar
Keith P. Keith P. is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 8,900
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
As far as the remediation goes, I suspect that was already done by Irving when the gas pumps were removed, as an environmental requirement. I am open to be corrected, though, if anybody knows for certain.
Pretty sure it wasn’t. That asphalt looked very old. And in any event it was used as an auto repair facility for many years thereafter with decrepit cars often tightly packed on the lot which likely leaked noxious substances.

Last edited by Keith P.; Jun 1, 2025 at 9:26 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3217  
Old Posted Jun 1, 2025, 10:07 PM
OldDartmouthMark OldDartmouthMark is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 10,536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Pretty sure it wasn’t. That asphalt looked very old. And in any event it was used as an auto repair facility for many years thereafter with decrepit cars often tightly packed on the lot which likely leaked noxious substances.
Firstly, it hasn’t been an Irving station in something like 30 years, so old pavement would not be unusual. As for the second part, are you suggesting that all parking lots (after all, without underground fuel tanks, it’s just a parking lot) need to be remediated when they are converted to another use? I did not know that.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3218  
Old Posted Jun 1, 2025, 10:58 PM
JET JET is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,056
Quote:
Originally Posted by DartmouthSteve View Post
For sure, but the second part of my post went on to say I welcomed density in that spot, but I am not a fan of the design renderings.Another member posted that spot as the gateway to downtown, and the building should have more presence (I'm parafrasing). I totally agree.
I think that the actual gateway to Dartmouth Down Town (DDT) is at Hawthorne and Prince Albert where the Welcome to Dartmouth sign is placed
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3219  
Old Posted Sep 9, 2025, 5:52 PM
someone123's Avatar
someone123 someone123 is online now
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 36,002
Does anybody know what the building shown here next to Metropolitan Place would be? Is it a real proposal or just based on zoning?


https://www.littlebrooklyndartmouth.ca/
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3220  
Old Posted Sep 9, 2025, 8:58 PM
terrynorthend terrynorthend is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,222
Love this night rendering! AFAIK, the parking lot south of MP had an of right development from the time of MP that was never exercised. Now when I look the the housing accelerator map, its listed as a 40 story/FAR 10 zone. So probably just a massing guess by the Brooklyn people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Does anybody know what the building shown here next to Metropolitan Place would be? Is it a real proposal or just based on zoning?


https://www.littlebrooklyndartmouth.ca/
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:46 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.