Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo
|
I will preface this by saying I'm a fan of Christine Mackay. She is a fine lady who professionally does her job, stays factual, and oversaw a booming time for Phoenix.
However, we should acknowledge that Phoenix and especially downtown, was due for a major boom given the return to downtown vibe that has taken over so many downtowns- the people wanted this and developers responded. We see similar booms in almost every comparable downtown. To take credit for that phenomena is sorta silly. If we couldn't improve downtown in the last decade... we seriously missed the wave.
Also, I have a distaste for city employees taking credit for development as though they did the real work. The city's job is to not screw this project up... When they do that, great! But the fact that we need a 50 person ecodevo team at CoP... in part to help a team help the dev team get around the bureaucratic hurdles... is a tacit admission that we've made this too difficult.
I'll note we've had some major whiffs over the past decade:
No new corporate HQs downtown. Several majors have left.
Warehouse district is largely a flop.
No new towers on north central. Existing towers are vacating space. Only new developments are nonprofits (meds and eds) who aren't on the tax rolls plus a few stick and stucco apartments.