17C and cloudy in Moncton at noontime, going up to 25C this afternoon with 30% chance of showers.
We had rain last night, and again this morning. It was getting dry, so I consider this beneficial rain.
It wasAtlantic Nationals in Moncton this last weekend, our annual classic car show. The main display is in Centennial Park, but, on Friday evening, they shut down Main Street and put the best cars on display there. Lots of street vendors, a stage with free performances, and a good time was had by all.
The one time I went to Cobourg Beach it was nice and groomed. I could totally see it standing in for Miami. I have cousins in South Florida and I love seeing their colourful life guard stations. I've gone up on them to pose for photos.
Were the alewife dead? Because two months ago there were thousands of small fish belly up in Oakville get feasted on. But the OPP marine guys I talked to said they weren't at the next harbour over in Port Credit, Mississauga. And based on my observations it was pretty limited along that short stretch of the lake.
Toogood Pond in Markham is as brown as it gets for ponds. The surrounding neighbourhood of Unionville is a gorgeous as it gets. Quite the dichotomy. This is the first time I've seen this sign for not eating the fish. A fish, fork and knife crossed out took me a second to realize what it was saying lol. Seriously, my first thought was do not eat the fish using a knife and fork. The only other place I know where they warn you against eating them is Christie Reservoir in Flamboro. When it's 37 degrees out in the midst of a heat wave and you catch a fish from brown water, I don't care how clean the fish looks, I can't imagine it would be appetizing.
As suspected last week, wasps were setting up shop in my shed. Was interesting to see them dropping straight out of the hive, except the big queen, which started flying all disoriented. I whacked it down and finished it off.
A few houses up the street the backyard is being totally re-done from scratch. That must have messed up the bunny nest because this little cutie got separated and was discovered in the backyard next door. Humane Society or whatever came to pick it up.
Clouds and wind from the NW kept things cooler today, topping out at 24.6 this afternoon . It was over 25 degrees until morning, then the northern air moved in, dropping the temp to 19.6 by late morning. There was a couple mm of rain last night, not enough
__________________ RECENT PHOTOS: TORONTO • SAN FRANCISCO • ROCHESTER, NY • HAMILTON • GODERICH, ON • WHEATLEY, ON • COBOURG, ON • LAS VEGAS • LOS ANGELES
24 hours after exterminating the wasps I took down the hive. Four of the larvae were moving. I guess since they can’t breathe the spray didn’t affect them.
managed to sneak out to the caabin to see what burnt tg most of the trees are ok kudos to the crew that put in a huge fight <3
tomarrows gun suck heavy south winds means this place at risk as its on the ne corner of the fire and the towns at risk so fr we havent lost power but some poles are damaged on the 66kva feed to town
The last few days have been extraordinarily hot and humid here in Japan. Was 38 here with lows of 27.
Unfortunately at school (yes, school isn't out for summer here for another week and a half) all outdoor activities have been cancelled since early last week. No PE classes, no outdoor sports. This further enforces my viewpoint that most people don't love super hot super humid weather...
I should also note that AC units here are per room, and mot bathrooms do not have AC units... so every trip to the can becomes a super sweaty sauna experience. Honestly awful.
The afternoon heat wouldn't be so bad if we at least had some relief in the evenings and morning. And I don't mean "cold" mornings, overnight lows between 17 and 21 would be perfect! Lows of 26 to 28? Nope, that gives no relief.
@ Townguy.
Were the alewife dead? Because two months ago there were thousands of small fish belly up in Oakville get feasted on. But the OPP marine guys I talked to said they weren't at the next harbour over in Port Credit, Mississauga. And based on my observations it was pretty limited along that short stretch of the lake.
Lots were dead, lots were alive. I noticed the birds would swoop down and pass on eating the dead ones.
Like this guy came down and said nope once he noticed it was dead. It came swooping down again and caught a live one.
Apparently these little fish get shocked by changes in water temperature as they come closer to shore.
15C and light rain in Moncton at 9 AM, going up to 20C this afternoon with lingering showers and thunderstorms.
The rain was heavy enough that it woke me up at about 6 AM, but, unfortunately not early enough to let me put my garbage on the curb (I forgot last night because I fell asleep on the couch).
I usually put my garbage out around midnight to shorten the time that the varmints have access to the garbage bags. Unfortunately the garbage trucks were particularly early on their rounds this morning.
Wow, is that really how garbage collection is still done there? Here crows would have torn open those bags a minute after they went out!
They have bins that can be picked up by collection trucks everywhere else in the city except downtown. We are exempt because the bins are too big for most houses and there's nowhere to store them outside. Legally the garbage bags are supposed to be covered by a net or blanket but few bother.
__________________ Note to self: "The plural of anecdote is not evidence."