HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1101  
Old Posted May 28, 2025, 12:21 AM
Metro-One's Avatar
Metro-One Metro-One is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Japan
Posts: 18,029
Thanks! I'm happy you like it. I'm going to do a detailed video on Kamloops itself one day (unfortunately that wont be until next year when I can get there and do some filming). The last two times I was in Kamloops hoping to capture some video I've been unlucky and was smoked out.

Until then, if you know anyone / any groups that would enjoy the video above, please give it a share!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1102  
Old Posted May 29, 2025, 4:57 PM
BC.Tom BC.Tom is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2023
Posts: 96
I guess we know now whats going on at TRU: Bell said an additional 26-megawatt data centre, being built in partnership with Thompson Rivers University, will open by the end of 2026, followed by another in 2027.


https://www.castanetkamloops.net/news/Ka...centres-in-B-C-as-part-of-Bell-AI-Fabric

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC.Tom View Post
Anybody knows what going on at TRU. Drove by and fencing is up and construction material on site.
Has great views and would make for a nice multifamily site. Pretty sure its not the new fire research center they keep talking about. That should be closer to the new daycare on Mcgill.


TRU1 by Thomas Johansen, on Flickr
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1103  
Old Posted May 29, 2025, 7:52 PM
BC.Tom BC.Tom is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2023
Posts: 96
This is what a 16 MW data center looks like in Toronto. So I guessing they will be pretty noticeable up on the hill seeing that we are talking 2 x 26 MW here in town plus the new TELUS data center up there. I like that they are tying it into the TRU central heating system as well.

EquinixDataCentre_BannerSize-01_2270x1335 by Thomas Johansen, on Flickr
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1104  
Old Posted May 30, 2025, 2:09 AM
VantageHD's Avatar
VantageHD VantageHD is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Kamloops
Posts: 753
Thanks for sharing. I was up by there today and noticed all the work going on. Nice to know what's going in there now.

I also noticed crews working on the North side of Hillside drive. Are they twinning that road?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1105  
Old Posted May 30, 2025, 4:11 PM
BC.Tom BC.Tom is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2023
Posts: 96
Not sure what they are doing on Hillside Dr,

Here is a 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵 picture of the new Propolis Co-op Building going in on Tranquille Rd. Its from their Facebook page. I'm guessing that's the side that faces Tranquille Rd.

co-op by Thomas Johansen, on Flickr
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1106  
Old Posted May 30, 2025, 10:32 PM
mindcash mindcash is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2023
Posts: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by VantageHD View Post
Thanks for sharing. I was up by there today and noticed all the work going on. Nice to know what's going in there now.

I also noticed crews working on the North side of Hillside drive. Are they twinning that road?
Looks like they're doing water servicing, probably for the data center if I had to imagine.

https://www.kamloops.ca/city-services/ca...est-water-servicing-project-lane-closure
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1107  
Old Posted May 31, 2025, 2:57 PM
VantageHD's Avatar
VantageHD VantageHD is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Kamloops
Posts: 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC.Tom View Post
Not sure what they are doing on Hillside Dr,

Here is a 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵 picture of the new Propolis Co-op Building going in on Tranquille Rd. Its from their Facebook page. I'm guessing that's the side that faces Tranquille Rd.
Podium looks like it could be decent. Building looks like what I was expecting when you build to net zero standards. I'm not a fan of these types of buildings. The only way to achieve this is to have small window openings and I just couldn't live that way to save a couple bucks a month. To each their own though. When they said NexBuild was doing that building I figured it was going to look like a bunker.

Thanks for sending that link mindcash. That is what I was wondering about.

Here's a rendering of the AI Centre getting built at TRU.

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1108  
Old Posted Jun 9, 2025, 7:07 PM
BC.Tom BC.Tom is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2023
Posts: 96
Tourism Kamloops looking into a convention center and Hotel. I'm guessing that the area below Sun Rivers is a prime location for this and was already include in their new plan for the area,

https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update/urn:li:activity:7336060310392328192/

tourism kamloops by Thomas Johansen, on Flickr
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1109  
Old Posted Jun 9, 2025, 9:20 PM
MIPS's Avatar
MIPS MIPS is offline
SkyTrain Nut
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Kamloops
Posts: 2,117
That photo has so many illustrative errors in it I bet you $30 it's AI generated.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1110  
Old Posted Jun 10, 2025, 3:53 PM
VantageHD's Avatar
VantageHD VantageHD is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Kamloops
Posts: 753
Good to hear this is still moving ahead in terms of feasibility. The location they have picked out is great. And ya, definitely AI haha. So many funny things going on in that picture
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1111  
Old Posted Jun 10, 2025, 4:43 PM
Jamaldenberg Jamaldenberg is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 23
Something of that nature would be a game changer for Kamloops. I've always envisioned the corner across from Riverside park where the N and S Thompson connect as such a prime piece of land to have a beautiful waterfront community.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1112  
Old Posted Jun 10, 2025, 5:01 PM
MIPS's Avatar
MIPS MIPS is offline
SkyTrain Nut
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Kamloops
Posts: 2,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamaldenberg View Post
Something of that nature would be a game changer for Kamloops. I've always envisioned the corner across from Riverside park where the N and S Thompson connect as such a prime piece of land to have a beautiful waterfront community.
Part of why that isn't used beyond you back into the industrial park is you are a sand bar on a flood plain. Given how Riverside park is at risk of or has flooded multiple times a decade it's a terrible place for anything beyond a park.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1113  
Old Posted Jun 10, 2025, 5:16 PM
mindcash mindcash is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2023
Posts: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIPS View Post
Part of why that isn't used beyond you back into the industrial park is you are a sand bar on a flood plain. Given how Riverside park is at risk of or has flooded multiple times a decade it's a terrible place for anything beyond a park.
With enough money it can be done, just depends if they're willing to spend it.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1114  
Old Posted Jun 10, 2025, 7:26 PM
RHINO's Avatar
RHINO RHINO is offline
Project manger
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: KAMLOOPS
Posts: 858
Wow, thats a beauty idea, but like the whole of the community pointed out VERY AI created.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1115  
Old Posted Jun 10, 2025, 7:46 PM
RHINO's Avatar
RHINO RHINO is offline
Project manger
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: KAMLOOPS
Posts: 858
BC Tom

I enjoyed your description of the coop image. It made me laugh.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1116  
Old Posted Jun 10, 2025, 7:46 PM
VantageHD's Avatar
VantageHD VantageHD is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Kamloops
Posts: 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamaldenberg View Post
Something of that nature would be a game changer for Kamloops. I've always envisioned the corner across from Riverside park where the N and S Thompson connect as such a prime piece of land to have a beautiful waterfront community.
I always thought the same thing. That location would perfect! Totally doable, just would need to build the site up enough. If they put it there and then redevelop Henry Grube, that would be a game changer for the waterfront downtown.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1117  
Old Posted Jun 12, 2025, 12:49 AM
MIPS's Avatar
MIPS MIPS is offline
SkyTrain Nut
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Kamloops
Posts: 2,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindcash View Post
With enough money it can be done, just depends if they're willing to spend it.
People with that kind of money know better and invest it in Sun Rivers.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1118  
Old Posted Jun 23, 2025, 3:32 PM
BC.Tom BC.Tom is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2023
Posts: 96
500 million Data Center in Merritt: https://www.castanetkamloops.net/news/Ka...-on-whether-to-allow-500M-AI-data-centre

Feels like its shaping up to be a couple busy years around Kamloops. With the HVC mine expansion, Data Centers and the potential aviation fuel refinery we are talking north of a billion dollars in investment, maybe closer to 2 billion with the refinery and 5000-6000 construction jobs. Maybe about 1000 permanent jobs.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1119  
Old Posted Jun 24, 2025, 6:19 PM
VantageHD's Avatar
VantageHD VantageHD is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Kamloops
Posts: 753
Lets hope so! The market around town still seems very skeptical. Seems like developers are dealing with a backlog of inventory at the moment and putting off digging any new holes.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1120  
Old Posted Jun 28, 2025, 5:40 PM
RHINO's Avatar
RHINO RHINO is offline
Project manger
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: KAMLOOPS
Posts: 858
Id like to positive, Id like to hope we see a jump that is not fueled by Government money.
But Ive already seen a few small projects get scrapped and many large projects get scrapped. Hopefully these will inspire these developers to build, but if no one is buying, they wont be building.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 8:18 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.