Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ71
At least that proposed rail goes by both Phx-Mesa and Sky Harbor Airports. Thats a plus. Not good for TIA though. Thats why I've always felt it essential for the city to build a light rail or streetcar from airport to Amtrak station. I think you'll get a lot of Tucson's opting to take a train to Mesa or Sky Harbor for cheaper flights or direct flights that avoid layovers that practically any flight from Tucson encounters when going afar. I think thats the one thing that can derail this (no pun intended). TIA does have lobbyists trying to stop HSR or passenger rail from TUS to Phx because of their potential lost revenue.
I just got back from dropping a person off at TIA and I swear it's the most convoluted and difficult experience to get there from the Eastside.
|
I agree that one of the most important places a mass transit system should serve is the local airport. For example, Denver got that right early in the system build out there. In juxtaposition to Denver, Los Angeles finally connected LAX just last week more than forty years after the opening the first light rail line there:
https://www.foxla.com/news/lax-metro-transit-center-opens
On Tucson-Phoenix passenger rail, there was a solid article in the
Phoenix New Times in December 2024 that hashed everything out as it was known at the time:
https://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/news/pho...hes-toward-reality-what-to-know-20744524
So yeah, it seems we're waiting on the FRA to
approve the “plan for the plan” by spring 2025.
I am not at all worried about TUS being affected by what's currently planned and that is pretty standard heavy rail service with three round trips a day - usually this will be top speeds of 79 miles an hour max on ROW shared with UP's busy Sunset Route freight traffic. HSR is an entirely different much more expensive animal. Just give me something akin to Amtrak's Surfliner in SoCal. That'll work and I predict will be wildly successful demanding even more train frequency in the future.
The best thing that can happen to TUS is get the south leg of the planned BRT line built. And build the BRT to a gold standard as rated by the Institute for Transportation & Development Policy (ITDP):
https://itdp.org/library/standards-and-guides/the-bus-rapid-transit-standard/
Additionally, I'd love to see BRT powered by overhead catenary as San Francisco's Muni has done with its
trolley buses:
https://www.sfmta.com/getting-around/muni/munis-electric-trolley-buses
Currently, as I understand it, there is no funding for Tucson's planned BRT lines. This is 🞵🞵🞵🞵 🞵🞵 in the current RTA soap opera. So the sooner that all gets sorted the quicker we're going to get BRT in Tucson.
My humble
dos centavos.