HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #62681  
Old Posted May 1, 2025, 6:26 PM
ethereal_reality's Avatar
ethereal_reality ethereal_reality is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lafayette/West Lafayette IN, Purdue U.
Posts: 18,015
.

My sister used to race my dad's El Camino until he found out about it.

.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; May 2, 2025 at 3:07 PM.
     
     
  #62682  
Old Posted May 2, 2025, 11:06 AM
fullpower's Avatar
fullpower fullpower is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Paramount, CA
Posts: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
.
My sister used to race my dad's El Camino until he found out about it.


.
she had fun fun fun til her daddy took the El Camino away
     
     
  #62683  
Old Posted May 2, 2025, 3:05 PM
ethereal_reality's Avatar
ethereal_reality ethereal_reality is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lafayette/West Lafayette IN, Purdue U.
Posts: 18,015
.
She sure did!


..I still feel bad for telling on her.
.
     
     
  #62684  
Old Posted May 2, 2025, 3:32 PM
ethereal_reality's Avatar
ethereal_reality ethereal_reality is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lafayette/West Lafayette IN, Purdue U.
Posts: 18,015
.
I happened upon this snapshot earlier this morning on eBay.

Seller's description:..."RARE VINTAGE PHOTO AFRICAN AMERICAN PHILLIPS TEMPLE C.M.E. CHURCH LOS ANGELES"


eBay

I'm not aware of a Phillips Temple. . or what C.M.E. stands for. (I'm thinking perhaps something 'Methodist')


.
     
     
  #62685  
Old Posted May 2, 2025, 4:09 PM
ethereal_reality's Avatar
ethereal_reality ethereal_reality is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lafayette/West Lafayette IN, Purdue U.
Posts: 18,015
.
Oh my, take a look at this 2nd snapshot from the same eBay seller.

"RARE AFRICAN AMERICAN FAMILY AT BEACH GROUP PHOTO W/ DOG LOS ANGELES ELKO BORDER"


eBay

We were just discussing segregated beaches and now this photograph comes along - that's somewhat of a coincidence, don't ya think.




Here's the reverse.

For search purposes:..."Taken at the beach -..Santa Monica or Venice.. 7 - 45





If anyone is wondering, this must be the dog.


detail


.
     
     
  #62686  
Old Posted May 2, 2025, 7:03 PM
HossC's Avatar
HossC HossC is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 4,719
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post

I happened upon this snapshot earlier this morning on eBay.

Seller's description:..."RARE VINTAGE PHOTO AFRICAN AMERICAN PHILLIPS TEMPLE C.M.E. CHURCH LOS ANGELES"


eBay

I'm not aware of a Phillips Temple. . or what C.M.E. stands for. (I'm thinking perhaps something 'Methodist')
It's the Phillips Temple Christian Methodist Episcopal Church. The Los Angeles branch is at still at 971 E 43rd Street. Before 1941, the address was 971 E 42nd Street, but this is residential, so I'm thinking that the streets were renumbered. I can't match the current building to the photo, but it could be a remodel. You can see the GSV here.

The CDs of the 1930s and 1940s all list the church as "Phillips Temple (colored)", which fits with the beach photo.
     
     
  #62687  
Old Posted May 2, 2025, 10:01 PM
Flyingwedge's Avatar
Flyingwedge Flyingwedge is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,223


Here is 971 E. 42nd St (now E. 43rd St) in 1925:



Jan 30, 1925, California Eagle @ Newspapers.com


That church was originally built in 1916 for the Sixth Church of Christ, Scientist. The Phillips Chapel (soon renamed Phillips Temple)
C. M. E. Church moved in in October 1924:



Jan 28, 1916, Los Angeles Times @ Newspapers.com




Oct 3, 1924, California Eagle @ Newspapers.com
     
     
  #62688  
Old Posted May 3, 2025, 12:04 AM
ethereal_reality's Avatar
ethereal_reality ethereal_reality is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lafayette/West Lafayette IN, Purdue U.
Posts: 18,015
.
Thanks HossC and Flyingwedge. I appreciate your help.


I see that Ruth Buzzi died. .. She was the first 'star' I saw when I moved to Los Angeles. I was driving south on Highland Ave. and I noticed the car in front of me had the license plate 'BUZZI'.
I wondered if it was her so when I passed her I glanced over-and sure enough- it was her. She looked at me and grinned from ear to ear. :-D

R.I.P. Ruth. Thanks for the laughs.

.
     
     
  #62689  
Old Posted May 3, 2025, 5:35 AM
Bristolian's Avatar
Bristolian Bristolian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: The Outskirts
Posts: 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
.
Oh my, take a look at this 2nd snapshot from the same eBay seller.

"RARE AFRICAN AMERICAN FAMILY AT BEACH GROUP PHOTO W/ DOG LOS ANGELES ELKO BORDER"


eBay

We were just discussing segregated beaches and now this photograph comes along - that's somewhat of a coincidence, don't ya think.




Here's the reverse.

For search purposes:..."Taken at the beach -..Santa Monica or Venice.. 7 - 45
Despite the writing on the back indicating Santa Monica or Venice, I believe the photo was taken at the base of Marine Avenue, looking north in Manhattan Beach. Marine Avenue is just a few blocks south of the location of Bruce's Beach. I believe the power poles in the background are for the Pacific Electric lines that ran along the sand.

Here's a photo of the stairs from 1914



This is a 1950s shot of the Manhattan Beach pier, a little further South again. This better shows the detail of the wall which ran along the Strand in Manhattan Beach and it matches that in the original photo. All of the walls, stairways and railings have been replaced over the years.


Photos from Manhattan Beach Historical Society Instagram account

Last edited by Bristolian; May 3, 2025 at 3:31 PM.
     
     
  #62690  
Old Posted May 3, 2025, 8:50 PM
odinthor's Avatar
odinthor odinthor is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 1,651
In re: The Phillips Temple.

Its moment of transfiguration appears to have come in 1954:


LA Bldg Records System


LA Bldg Records System

and if I interpret it correctly, the new building indeed seems to have been built over and incorporating the old.
     
     
  #62691  
Old Posted May 3, 2025, 9:03 PM
HenryHuntington HenryHuntington is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: The OC
Posts: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bristolian View Post
Despite the writing on the back indicating Santa Monica or Venice, I believe the photo was taken at the base of Marine Avenue, looking north in Manhattan Beach. Marine Avenue is just a few blocks south of the location of Bruce's Beach. I believe the power poles in the background are for the Pacific Electric lines that ran along the sand.

Here's a photo of the stairs from 1914



This is a 1950s shot of the Manhattan Beach pier, a little further South again. This better shows the detail of the wall which ran along the Strand in Manhattan Beach and it matches that in the original photo. All of the walls, stairways and railings have been replaced over the years.


Photos from Manhattan Beach Historical Society Instagram account
______________________

Bristolian, FWIW I concur that you've nailed the location. If "7-45" refers to the date of the photograph, it raises an issue for me because PE abandoned rail service here in May 1940. I can't imagine that rails and wire remained in place throughout WW2 when scrap metal was in such short supply. As my sainted mother-in-law would've remarked, "'Tis a puzzlement."
     
     
  #62692  
Old Posted May 4, 2025, 2:05 AM
Bristolian's Avatar
Bristolian Bristolian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: The Outskirts
Posts: 518


If the location written on the back wasn't accurate, the year could likely be off too, if that is in fact a date.
I'm certainly no expert in fashion but the clothing styles may look to be earlier than 1945?
The Bruce's Beach property was taken from the owners in 1927 so I don't know if this photo is that early but that would make sense as far as the tracks and poles being in place.
I would agree regarding the puzzlement.
     
     
  #62693  
Old Posted May 5, 2025, 4:53 AM
ethereal_reality's Avatar
ethereal_reality ethereal_reality is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lafayette/West Lafayette IN, Purdue U.
Posts: 18,015
.
To begin the week we have a mystery construction site!


Seller's description:..Circa.1927 photo Celluloid Negative Los Angeles California Downtown LA Building CONSTRUCTION


Currently on eBay




Here's a closer look at the upper right side of the negative.


detail

The impressive home pretty takes center stage but if you in the distance there appears to be an enormous sign on top of the building that's farthest away.

Hopefully one of you impressive NLAers will solve the mystery.


.
     
     
  #62694  
Old Posted May 5, 2025, 6:34 AM
always_lookin always_lookin is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2025
Posts: 10
I see the Jonathan Club, so that should help orienate us...
     
     
  #62695  
Old Posted May 5, 2025, 9:18 AM
HossC's Avatar
HossC HossC is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 4,719
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post

To begin the week we have a mystery construction site!

Seller's description:..Circa.1927 photo Celluloid Negative Los Angeles California Downtown LA Building CONSTRUCTION


Currently on eBay
I think we're looking at the construction of the California Club at 538 S Flower Street. This photo is circa 1929.


LAPL

On the left of e_r's photo are the Plymouth Hotel at 556 S Flower Street and the Richfield Building at 555 S Flower Street.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post

The impressive home pretty takes center stage but if you look in the distance there appears to be an enormous sign on top of the building that's farthest away.
The building in the distance with the "enormous sign on top" is the Hotel St Paul at 1021 W 6th Street.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
     
     
  #62696  
Old Posted May 5, 2025, 5:59 PM
unihikid's Avatar
unihikid unihikid is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: South Bay
Posts: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryHuntington View Post
______________________

Bristolian, FWIW I concur that you've nailed the location. If "7-45" refers to the date of the photograph, it raises an issue for me because PE abandoned rail service here in May 1940. I can't imagine that rails and wire remained in place throughout WW2 when scrap metal was in such short supply. As my sainted mother-in-law would've remarked, "'Tis a puzzlement."
HH i thought freight ran on the line till 49ish. I live along the right of way in Hermosa Beach and was told by locals that they had service till around that time (one car per day?). Most of the locals remember 1981/2 as the last time a train came through hermosa and that was along the Santa Fe/Green Belt north of this and it serviced a lumber yard. "The puzzlement continues"
     
     
  #62697  
Old Posted May 6, 2025, 12:08 AM
HenryHuntington HenryHuntington is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: The OC
Posts: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by unihikid View Post
HH i thought freight ran on the line till 49ish. I live along the right of way in Hermosa Beach and was told by locals that they had service till around that time (one car per day?). Most of the locals remember 1981/2 as the last time a train came through hermosa and that was along the Santa Fe/Green Belt north of this and it serviced a lumber yard. "The puzzlement continues"
__________________

unihikid, that was the Santa Fe's Redondo Beach line. It ran a few blocks inland from the beach.

Here's a quick history with a nice map:

https://www.abandonedrails.com/redondo-beach-branch
     
     
  #62698  
Old Posted May 6, 2025, 3:43 PM
Bristolian's Avatar
Bristolian Bristolian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: The Outskirts
Posts: 518
unihikid,
The Red Car lines in Manhattan Beach literally ran along the beach, roughly where the bike path is today. I grew up a half block above Valley/Ardmore where the Santa Fe lines were. In the '70s they ran just a locomotive along those tracks about once a week. I believe they were required to do this to maintain their right of way.
I have not been able to find any shots of the Red Car line in Manhattan Beach but this one shows a car headed north out of Redondo beach.

https://martinturnbull.com/2024/11/15/pa...y-streetcar-line-los-angeles-circa-1960/

In this closeup of a 1940 UCSB aerial, I believe you can just make out the two sets of tracks running vertically. The stairs from e_r's eBay photo are in the center of the photo. I'm guessing the building on the left is a station for the PE lines.


In the full aerial the Santa Fe tracks run along the bend at the lower right.


HH, Are you aware of any photos of the Red Lines in Manhattan Beach?

Edit: I did find this one described as being in Manhattan Beach.

https://maureenmegowan.com/the-los-angeles-and-south-bay-red-car-line/
     
     
  #62699  
Old Posted May 6, 2025, 7:14 PM
ethereal_reality's Avatar
ethereal_reality ethereal_reality is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lafayette/West Lafayette IN, Purdue U.
Posts: 18,015
.

re: The mystery construction site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
I think we're looking at the construction of the California Club at 538 S Flower Street. This photo is circa 1929.

On the left of e_r's photo are the Plymouth Hotel at 556 S Flower Street and the Richfield Building at 555 S Flower Street.

The building in the distance with the "enormous sign on top" is the Hotel St Paul at 1021 W 6th Street.
Thanks so much, HossC. You nailed it!


Quote:
Originally Posted by always_lookin View Post
I see the Jonathan Club, so that should help orienate us...
Turns out you were right. (I think)


But no information on the house. . or did I miss that finding?


detail



.
     
     
  #62700  
Old Posted May 6, 2025, 7:27 PM
ethereal_reality's Avatar
ethereal_reality ethereal_reality is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lafayette/West Lafayette IN, Purdue U.
Posts: 18,015
.
The same eBay seller also has this 1927 negative up for sale.

1927 photo Celluloid Negative Los Angeles California Street Scene LA Library Trolley CAR.


eBay

The location is too obvious (that's the Los Angeles Public Library on the right) to be a mystery location so I decided to run with it myself.

The photographer is looking southwest from what appears to have been the middle of S. Grand Avenue.

Initially I was simply going to say the photographer was standing near the base of the Edison Building but I don't think it was there yet. (but it was probably under construction)

Yours truly has placed a red dot where I believe the photographer was standing.


photograph is dated 1930 water & power archive

The Edison Building opened on March 20, 1931.

.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; May 6, 2025 at 7:45 PM.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 8:37 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.