South Works is too far south and too far from downtown for the Bears to seriously consider. The remediation efforts would be prohibitively expensive as well, as you mentioned. Considering the team is already begging for public funds to build their new stadium, I got to imagine that moving there is a non starter. Michael Reese is probably just as easily accessible from the downtown commuter stations as SF currently is, given how its a bit of a clusterf*ck to get to, even though its positioned much closer to the Loop and right by Grant Park. I could see them running shuttles to/from the Red & Green Lines at 35th, as well as Metra Electric (either a new station by the new stadium or utilizing an existing station like 27th St).
Best case scenario, now that Virginia has died, is that the McCaskey family sells the team to wealthy enough owners that can build a new stadium using their own equity. Own the land, the stadium and the surrounding entertainment complex outright and create a year round revenue stream. Best place for that would honestly be in the city due to existing tourism infrastructure and attractions, and the best site for that is probably Michael Reese (unless the 78 is still available if the Sox don't pursue it).
But I still fear that the most likely outcome, whether the team is sold or not, will be AH.
__________________
"Eventually, I think Chicago will be the most beautiful great city left in the world." -Frank Lloyd Wright
|