Crystal Beach amusement park was truly a special place. A binational amusement park that was also a testament to the
once peaceful friendship between Canada and USA. Those were the days.
I only saw the tail end, but have fond childhood memories. Every year my Dad's employer had a company picnic there and it was a great time. I remember getting butterflies in my stomach from the excitement of getting close to the entrance gates. My cousin was in HS and worked there for a summer and I thought that was so cool as a child.
I still regret being too chicken to ride The Comet (I was only 8 the year the park closed). I rode the yellow coaster, 'The Giant' many times and that was thrilling enough.
My Mom, Aunt, and my Uncle saw the heyday of the 1950s-1970s. My Uncle (82) remembers fun dances with live bands on hot summer nights.
Many Can-Am relationships and marriages were forged thanks to Crystal Beach.
• Video Link
Found a commercial on Buffalo TV from 1981
• Video Link
I totally forgot the unique feature of The Comet were some seats faced backwards!
1985 Buffalo TV footage
• Video Link