Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12
Assuming sanity returns to the US, funding the Canadian portion of a Vancouver-Seattle-Portland HSR would be a no-brainer.
|
Personally, I always felt that twinning the TCH through the Rockies was more of a safety issue than an economic one. The route isn't congested. I would definitely improve the design in dangerous areas to a twinned highway with a protective median, but twinning the hundreds of kilometers of two-lane sections of Highway 1 between Kamloops and Field isn't super high on my priority list.
One BC highway idea I have never seen any discussion about is upgrading the Loughheed highway to a full freeway eastward from the Mary Hill Bypass to past Mission, and then connecting it with a bridge over the Fraser near Chilliwack. I'd also upgrade the Abbotsford-Mission highway to a full freeway. Unlike Highway 1 in the interior, Highway 1 in the Fraser Valley is congested. It also adds some redundancy and serves north-of-the-Fraser communities. From a security standpoint, I've always thought that Hwy 1 dips very close to the American border near Abbotsford. Now that we have to think defensively, it is a vulnerable chokepoint and if the Americans seized it, Vancouver and the Pacific coast would be cut off from the rest of Canada except via the existing Lougheed highway or the Sea-to-Sky/Hwy 99 through Pemberton, both of which are tiny in comparison.