HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #6421  
Old Posted Feb 21, 2025, 9:42 PM
mcminsen's Avatar
mcminsen mcminsen is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Downtown Vancouver
Posts: 9,980
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zepfancouver View Post
We just had a good earth shaking, about 15 seconds worth, I'm freaked.
Earthquake at 1:28 pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcminsen View Post
Earthquake! I think.

I just felt the living room floor jump and all the plants are waving about.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
It seemed to be in two parts, with a pause in the middle, similar in intensity to ones I felt here before. CBC radio had an emergency announcement to take cover.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zepfancouver View Post
In the past 32 years living in Vancouver, that was the strongest I've experienced. My 4th earthquake.




Of course the intensity of earthquakes is felt differently depending on where you are.

I remember an earthquake back in about January of 2001 (?) I was living on the North Shore and ended up under my dining room table.
I'm not one to over react but it sounded like the stacks of dishes were about to come out of the cupboards.

Hopefully any aftershocks on this one are not too intense.






source: https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/ew1740173210

Last edited by mcminsen; Feb 21, 2025 at 11:24 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6422  
Old Posted Feb 21, 2025, 10:02 PM
giallo's Avatar
giallo giallo is offline
be nice to the crackheads
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 12,747
I think that's the first earthquake I've actually felt in Vancouver.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6423  
Old Posted Feb 21, 2025, 10:07 PM
Zepfancouver's Avatar
Zepfancouver Zepfancouver is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcminsen View Post
...depending on where you are...
I sure would not want to be at Anchor Point when a magnitude 6.0 hits the Lower Mainland, my building would drop like a house of cards, slab pancaking.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6424  
Old Posted Feb 21, 2025, 10:59 PM
Metro-One's Avatar
Metro-One Metro-One is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Japan
Posts: 18,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by giallo View Post
I think that's the first earthquake I've actually felt in Vancouver.
You didn’t feel the 6.1 in 2001??

That quake cracked the wall in my school library and busted one of the skylights.

Still the largest I have felt in my life.
__________________
Bridging the Gap
Check out my Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/30634635@N03/with/29495547810/ and Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCV0_0h9qKlhxXFxuAey_q6Q
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6425  
Old Posted Feb 21, 2025, 11:02 PM
Arrdeeharharharbour Arrdeeharharharbour is offline
Cap the Cut!
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Location: Halifax
Posts: 1,155
Our flat in Lisbon has criss crossed wooden structure embedded into some of the walls. Apparently this was installed after the big earthquake of 1755. The other morning while waiting for the other one to put shoes on I was tapping a wall with my knuckles and wondering if the structure would actually help in the event of an earthquake, and while I was tapping, we actually had an earthquake. A minor 4.2 I believe. Such a strange experience. My first earthquake. They're happening all over. Maybe the world IS falling apart.

It rained here off and on all afternoon and evening. High temp about 16. We had a plus 20 or so day earlier this week. It's very green here in spite of no leaves on some of the trees yet.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6426  
Old Posted Feb 21, 2025, 11:23 PM
whatnext whatnext is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 28,036
I was eating lunch at a restaurant on the West Side and it just felt like a very heavy truck driving by. A short shake that didn’t last more than a couple seconds.

Last edited by whatnext; Feb 22, 2025 at 12:13 AM. Reason: Spelling
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6427  
Old Posted Feb 21, 2025, 11:25 PM
C3YVR C3YVR is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 255
I will be in Lisbon, Porto and Paris for most of March and looking forward to some 20C days.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6428  
Old Posted Feb 22, 2025, 3:41 AM
Metro-One's Avatar
Metro-One Metro-One is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Japan
Posts: 18,022
Earthquake upgraded to a 5.1 now.

Obviously not a serious earthquake, but also not tiny. Definitely big enough to give a good shake depending on where you are.
__________________
Bridging the Gap
Check out my Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/30634635@N03/with/29495547810/ and Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCV0_0h9qKlhxXFxuAey_q6Q
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6429  
Old Posted Feb 22, 2025, 4:48 AM
Nicko999's Avatar
Nicko999 Nicko999 is offline
Go Chiefs!
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Montreal
Posts: 20,180
-8C with a wind chill of -16 and a mix of sun and clouds. The last time we were even close to normal was a week ago. 2.5C is our highest temperature in 2025 so far. This is probably some kind of top 10 record so far into the calendar year. This February is on pace to be the coldest in the last decade.

The low was -12C (wind chill of -19) this morning.

The warmspot was Tatlayoko Lake, BC at 11.1C

Warmest low was Estevan Point, BC at 7.3C
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6430  
Old Posted Feb 22, 2025, 5:05 AM
Nicko999's Avatar
Nicko999 Nicko999 is offline
Go Chiefs!
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Montreal
Posts: 20,180
I am unfortunately predicting a massive spring flooding. The winter mild spells act as a balancing act to the snow melting it a bit at various times in the winter. The complete lack of mild weather along with the deep snow cover is recipe for disaster.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6431  
Old Posted Feb 22, 2025, 6:24 AM
mcminsen's Avatar
mcminsen mcminsen is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Downtown Vancouver
Posts: 9,980
Gloomy and wet, and it got blustery in the late afternoon. Not pleasant.

Friday's high at Vancouver Harbour was 8 C, the low was 6 C.





Downtown Vancouver, Feb.21 '25, my pics


...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6432  
Old Posted Feb 22, 2025, 11:30 AM
SignalHillHiker's Avatar
SignalHillHiker SignalHillHiker is online now
I ♣ Baby Seals
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Sin Jaaawnz, Newf'nland
Posts: 36,320
All shovelled out. Again.











__________________
Note to self: "The plural of anecdote is not evidence."
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6433  
Old Posted Feb 22, 2025, 12:56 PM
flar's Avatar
flar flar is offline
..........
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Southwestern Ontario
Posts: 15,760
There was a 2.7 magnitude earthquake here yesterday. I was at the stove making supper and didn't feel a thing

I remember the earthquake near Ottawa about ten years ago. Definitely felt that one
__________________
RECENT PHOTOS:
TORONTO • SAN FRANCISCO • ROCHESTER, NY • HAMILTON • GODERICH, ON • WHEATLEY, ON • COBOURG, ON • LAS VEGAS • LOS ANGELES
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6434  
Old Posted Feb 22, 2025, 1:18 PM
Tancredi's Avatar
Tancredi Tancredi is offline
Free Palestine & Ukraine
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Italy (Sicily, Palermo)
Posts: 1,817
Ok, now I'm going to go to the bathroom, get in the bathtub and slit my wrists. :sbarazzino:
__________________
The happiest time in the past of humanity? The Würm glaciation!

Last edited by SignalHillHiker; Feb 22, 2025 at 1:26 PM. Reason: No need to quote the pics on the same page, teeheehee! But TY!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6435  
Old Posted Feb 22, 2025, 1:20 PM
Tancredi's Avatar
Tancredi Tancredi is offline
Free Palestine & Ukraine
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Italy (Sicily, Palermo)
Posts: 1,817
Your real problem will be an earthquake like this
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1700_Cascadia_earthquake

Quote:
Originally Posted by giallo View Post
I think that's the first earthquake I've actually felt in Vancouver.
__________________
The happiest time in the past of humanity? The Würm glaciation!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6436  
Old Posted Feb 22, 2025, 2:09 PM
SignalHillHiker's Avatar
SignalHillHiker SignalHillHiker is online now
I ♣ Baby Seals
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Sin Jaaawnz, Newf'nland
Posts: 36,320
Loves these fat little fuckers.

• Video Link
__________________
Note to self: "The plural of anecdote is not evidence."
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6437  
Old Posted Feb 22, 2025, 2:22 PM
MonctonRad's Avatar
MonctonRad MonctonRad is offline
Wildcats Rule!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 41,290
-9C and sunny in Moncton at 10 AM.


Coyote spotted near Memramcook NB, about 20 km from Moncton the other day. Keep your cats and small dogs inside!. Coyotes are occasionally spotted on the trails in my neighbourhood too.
__________________
Go 'Cats Go
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6438  
Old Posted Feb 22, 2025, 3:21 PM
flar's Avatar
flar flar is offline
..........
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Southwestern Ontario
Posts: 15,760
St. Clair River this morning


Currently -4. We will ve above freezing with rain starting tomorrow or Monday
__________________
RECENT PHOTOS:
TORONTO • SAN FRANCISCO • ROCHESTER, NY • HAMILTON • GODERICH, ON • WHEATLEY, ON • COBOURG, ON • LAS VEGAS • LOS ANGELES
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6439  
Old Posted Feb 22, 2025, 5:27 PM
harls's Avatar
harls harls is offline
Mooderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Aylmer, Québec
Posts: 21,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by flar View Post
I remember the earthquake near Ottawa about ten years ago. Definitely felt that one
What about the June 23, 2010 one? Or were you here then?

I was working from home and I remember thinking a plane was going to crash into my house.

Have friends in TN and they felt it, too.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6440  
Old Posted Feb 22, 2025, 7:18 PM
flar's Avatar
flar flar is offline
..........
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Southwestern Ontario
Posts: 15,760
Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
What about the June 23, 2010 one? Or were you here then?

I was working from home and I remember thinking a plane was going to crash into my house.

Have friends in TN and they felt it, too.
Wow, it was fifteen years ago. Everyone felt that one, it felt like the ground was lifting up
__________________
RECENT PHOTOS:
TORONTO • SAN FRANCISCO • ROCHESTER, NY • HAMILTON • GODERICH, ON • WHEATLEY, ON • COBOURG, ON • LAS VEGAS • LOS ANGELES
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:22 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.