Quote:
Originally Posted by DZH22
I don't think there's an urban park in the country that matches the Pittsburgh view across the river from Mount Washington. Of course, the hills giveth and the hills taketh away, as the city itself is pretty much hidden until you're right on top of it. It also has too many rundown areas to compete at the top of the overall list, but damn if it isn't epically scenic at a more modest scale.
I'd put this up against any skyline view in the country. I think you're about 400' above the water from here.
|
Grand Overlook is ~450’ above the water if my memory serves me right. In terms of geographic intimacy/distance to the skyline, yeah it’s probably unrivaled. That being said, Griffith Park (if you want to count that as urban) or Balboa in SD probably give the best urban vista’s. I’m not familiar with SF but I’m sure it has some with nutty views.
If there’s one thing that I dislike living in my area, is how flat (relatively) Baltimore & DC are.
The most iconic vantage point in Baltimore (Federal Hill) is only ~80’ tall by comparison despite being the same distance from downtown as Pittsburghs Grand Overlook (both are about ~.5 miles)
But the best vantage point to see the whole city is in North Cathedral Cemetery, ~4 miles west of DT
Like Baltimore, the best elevated DC vantage point is Robert E. Lee/Arlington House in Arlington Cemetery which sits at 171’ in elevation, ~2 miles from the DT