HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #461  
Old Posted Jan 18, 2025, 2:07 AM
Acajack's Avatar
Acajack Acajack is offline
Gros Méchant Loup
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: SSP Graveyard
Posts: 72,949
Screw that. Post away!
__________________
Gone... but never forgotten.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #462  
Old Posted Jan 18, 2025, 2:17 AM
SignalHillHiker's Avatar
SignalHillHiker SignalHillHiker is offline
I ♣ Baby Seals
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Sin Jaaawnz, Newf'nland
Posts: 36,320
I'm torn.

On one hand, it often helps provide consequences for skeets, and sometimes even return people's stolen property.

On the other hand, once someone is known in the dozens and dozens of social media groups dedicated to this sort of thing... it's a small city. This 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵 could become a saint tomorrow, raise Rhodes scholars, but her grandchildren will still be ostracized as trash.



Also, "Karma's a 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵 and it will comes back to these 🞵🞵🞵🞵 head"... the oligarchy is entirely chance, b'ys. lol Between this missus and Musk, C-suite board meetings must be barely English.
__________________
Note to self: "The plural of anecdote is not evidence."
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #463  
Old Posted Jan 18, 2025, 2:26 AM
SpongeG's Avatar
SpongeG SpongeG is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Coquitlam
Posts: 40,112
another thing, I was reading yesterday on threads about Alberta's premier saying she won't do anything to retaliate to Trump's threats and that was the kick-off to people posting about that subject, many of those I assume who were outside of Alberta were not impressed about Smith and how can they sell Canada out to Trump etc. and then those from Alberta were mixed but many were pro-smith and happy with her stance, while others expressed embarrassment.

One of the things I've noticed over the years, such as when Trudeau won the last election, when this type of issue arises and Alberta and its oil etc are a topic or brought up is there will always be a handful of mainly women, who go off on a rant about how their Province Alberta is the reason why people in other parts of the country choose not to work cause they are getting all their Alberta transfer payments and blah blah blah and it's our money and the rest of the country can F off basically. They get very mad and quite aggressive about it.

Does Alberta have special courses in school that teach about transfer payments? they always seem to be such experts about it lol. I just don't know.
__________________
belowitall
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #464  
Old Posted Jan 18, 2025, 2:27 AM
Architype's Avatar
Architype Architype is offline
♒︎ verified human
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 🍁 Canada
Posts: 14,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gresto View Post
Going way back, I also liked Knowlton Nash and Barbara Frum. With regard to reporters, I don't know if there has ever been a better one than the late Joe Schlesinger.

There was some joke in an old comedy show about Knowlton Nash's glasses being stolen and used as a high powered space telescope.


https://thecliffedge.com/?p=3735

• Video Link

Last edited by Architype; Jan 18, 2025 at 2:39 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #465  
Old Posted Jan 18, 2025, 3:33 PM
ScreamingViking's Avatar
ScreamingViking ScreamingViking is offline
Ham-burgher
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 7,493
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
what do you think good or bad? I often see posts on social media asking if you recognize these people etc. I think people are getting fed up, when the police really do nothing, revolving doors of justice. they make a point buy courts not going to do anything anyway. There is a Korean grocery store in Surrey that has a board at the store where they post pictures of "thieves" on it and wonder if it helps.
Do criminals seen comitting crimes really deserve privacy?

Montreal police asking people not to post photos of porch pirates online
How often is it that the thieves are actually recognized? In all the videos I've ever seen, they're wearing hoodies.

Same goes for the videos of fools stealing cars or shooting at each other on the street.

So I see no harm in posting.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #466  
Old Posted Jan 18, 2025, 3:41 PM
kwoldtimer kwoldtimer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: La vraie capitale
Posts: 26,250
Anybody sad that (Lowney's) Cherry Blossoms have come to the end of the road? I can't say I am, I found them disgustingly sweet.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #467  
Old Posted Jan 18, 2025, 4:46 PM
north 42's Avatar
north 42 north 42 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Windsor, Ontario/Colchester, Ontario
Posts: 5,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Anybody sad that (Lowney's) Cherry Blossoms have come to the end of the road? I can't say I am, I found them disgustingly sweet.
They were one of my favourites as a kid, haven’t had one in years though.
__________________
Windsor Ontario, Canada's southern most city!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #468  
Old Posted Jan 18, 2025, 5:40 PM
elly63 elly63 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 9,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Anybody sad that (Lowney's) Cherry Blossoms have come to the end of the road? I can't say I am, I found them disgustingly sweet.
I'm sad. I used to love the outer coating, the cherry part not so much, which is ironic, because I love cherry pie. I love the cool retro packaging, the different shape than other confections and the fact when I bought it as a kid, it used to be made by a company called Lowney. I remember when there used to be several chocolateers like Nielsen and Moirs et al. All around sad that we lose another "tradition"

• Video Link
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #469  
Old Posted Jan 18, 2025, 6:10 PM
elly63 elly63 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 9,783
One of the most iconic chocolate bar commercials. JUNGLE BEAST! As a little kid, I never knew what he was saying at the end (My walrus jaw bookends) it kind of ran together.

There's a longer version out there somewhere as this is missing the opening shot showing the storm outside.

• Video Link
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #470  
Old Posted Jan 18, 2025, 6:28 PM
elly63 elly63 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 9,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
There was some joke in an old comedy show about Knowlton Nash's glasses being stolen and used as a high powered space telescope.
As a teen, I used to joke about Knowlton's frequent gaffes and Canada AM's non pretty Norm Perry in the land of the pretty. Joni was right, you don't know what you got til it's gone. I'd kill to have them back again.

Speaking of Canada AM and pretty, I always loved Sandie Rinaldo and not long ago watched the mini doc about her. I had forgotten the part where they gave her a sendoff on Canada AM to go have her baby and the baby was born and died on the same day. It was enough to rip your damn heart out.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #471  
Old Posted Jan 19, 2025, 5:06 AM
rousseau's Avatar
rousseau rousseau is offline
Registered Drug User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Southern Ontario
Posts: 8,216
What NHL teams do people in Saskatchewan tend to support? Is it a complete free-for-all, or are the Jets, Flames and Oilers ranked at the top? Would it be Saskatoon for Edmonton and Regina for Calgary based on geography?

What about Montreal and, gulp, Toronto? Do they figure in the mix?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #472  
Old Posted Jan 23, 2025, 6:50 PM
Acajack's Avatar
Acajack Acajack is offline
Gros Méchant Loup
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: SSP Graveyard
Posts: 72,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
What NHL teams do people in Saskatchewan tend to support? Is it a complete free-for-all, or are the Jets, Flames and Oilers ranked at the top? Would it be Saskatoon for Edmonton and Regina for Calgary based on geography?

What about Montreal and, gulp, Toronto? Do they figure in the mix?
My sense is that people are split between the various Prairie teams with a considerable amount of residual support for the Leafs that is embedded in a lot of families and goes back to the Foster Hewitt Hockey Night in Canada era.

When the Leafs play on the Prairies there are always lots of fans wearing their jerseys in the stands.

And yes the Canadiens also have a decent fan base across the country where it is often ethnically-based. If someone in Saskatchewan had a French-Canadian grandfather or someone in their family tree like that, there is a good chance they will be Habs fans today.

Again, you see lots of Canadiens jerseys when they play anywhere across the country, and most of these fans aren't necessarily francophones (anymore) but it's still part of the family culture in many cases.
__________________
Gone... but never forgotten.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #473  
Old Posted Jan 23, 2025, 7:30 PM
harls's Avatar
harls harls is offline
Mooderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Aylmer, Québec
Posts: 21,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
What NHL teams do people in Saskatchewan tend to support? Is it a complete free-for-all, or are the Jets, Flames and Oilers ranked at the top? Would it be Saskatoon for Edmonton and Regina for Calgary based on geography?

What about Montreal and, gulp, Toronto? Do they figure in the mix?
A lot of the Save-on Foods winners during broadcasts are from Saskatchewan for Jets games. Not sure if it's Save-on Foods that decides the territory for their customers.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #474  
Old Posted Jan 24, 2025, 2:06 AM
elly63 elly63 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 9,783
Don't think I've seen one like this before, why is she stuttering and looking around (start at 2:13)

• Video Link
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #475  
Old Posted Jan 24, 2025, 4:55 AM
Tvisforme's Avatar
Tvisforme Tvisforme is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Metro Vancouver
Posts: 2,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
Don't think I've seen one like this before, why is she stuttering and looking around (start at 2:13)...
Mouse running around the studio. (Joys of live TV!)
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #476  
Old Posted Jan 24, 2025, 8:15 PM
MolsonExport's Avatar
MolsonExport MolsonExport is offline
Touching grass everyday.
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Otisburgh
Posts: 51,650
"The Nash. With Knowlton National."


"Craig Oliver, CBC News"
__________________
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts. (Bertrand Russell). Sweet Loretta fart thought she was a cleaner, but she was a frying pan. (John Lennon)
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #477  
Old Posted Jan 27, 2025, 7:42 PM
1overcosc's Avatar
1overcosc 1overcosc is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Eastern Ontario
Posts: 12,377
Just a quick note - the news out of the US is negatively impacting my mental health so I've decided to basically ignore the entire internet for the next while, meaning I won't be here for a while.
__________________
"It is only because the control of the means of production is divided among many people acting independently that nobody has complete power over us, that we as individuals can decide what to do with ourselves." - Friedrich Hayek
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #478  
Old Posted Jan 27, 2025, 8:21 PM
Tvisforme's Avatar
Tvisforme Tvisforme is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Metro Vancouver
Posts: 2,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
Just a quick note - the news out of the US is negatively impacting my mental health so I've decided to basically ignore the entire internet for the next while, meaning I won't be here for a while.
Sorry to hear that, but hopefully you'll find what you need quickly. It can get overwhelming at times, that's for sure.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #479  
Old Posted Jan 28, 2025, 2:57 AM
Wigs's Avatar
Wigs Wigs is offline
Great White North
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Niagara Region
Posts: 16,605
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
Just a quick note - the news out of the US is negatively impacting my mental health...
I don't think you're alone. Many in Canada and even more, tens of millions, in USA probably feel that way.

We now have a dystopian neighbor to the South. Like something out of the UK show 'Black Mirror'

Take care of yourself, and SSP will still remain here when you're able to come back.
__________________
"An AI agent does not need hatred, consciousness, or a Terminator-style plan to cause harm.
A badly specified goal plus powerful tools and weak boundaries can be enough"
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #480  
Old Posted Jan 28, 2025, 8:15 PM
Airboy Airboy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Edmonton/St Albert
Posts: 9,844
I've made a point of shutting all social media down by 6 pm. then spend part of the evening talking with my wife and reading a good book.
__________________
Why complain about the weather? Its always going to be here. You on the other hand will not.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 3:50 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.