HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #441  
Old Posted Oct 16, 2024, 1:08 AM
kwoldtimer kwoldtimer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: La vraie capitale
Posts: 26,251
The latest update seems to be adding a bit of the Scandi to all the Brits.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #442  
Old Posted Oct 16, 2024, 2:57 PM
Acajack's Avatar
Acajack Acajack is offline
Gros Méchant Loup
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: SSP Graveyard
Posts: 72,949
The relatively small percentages of English, Irish and Scottish have completely disappeared from my Ancestry profile, and seem to have been replaced with "French".

I also have a rather exotic ancestry that I am 100% sure about that is "missing in action" from my Ancestry profile.

Still trying to figure out what's going on with that.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #443  
Old Posted Oct 19, 2024, 4:12 PM
SignalHillHiker's Avatar
SignalHillHiker SignalHillHiker is online now
I ♣ Baby Seals
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Sin Jaaawnz, Newf'nland
Posts: 36,342
It's kinda cute.

• Video Link
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #444  
Old Posted Oct 19, 2024, 10:38 PM
Gresto's Avatar
Gresto Gresto is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 5,396
I just delved into Zappacosta a few weeks ago. His first album is a masterpiece and his second is almost as good. Thereafter he seems to have abandoned AOR for something else. Pity. What a voice!

"It's All Been Done Before":
• Video Link


"Runaround":
• Video Link
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #445  
Old Posted Oct 25, 2024, 11:32 AM
SignalHillHiker's Avatar
SignalHillHiker SignalHillHiker is online now
I ♣ Baby Seals
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Sin Jaaawnz, Newf'nland
Posts: 36,342
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #446  
Old Posted Oct 26, 2024, 11:47 PM
SignalHillHiker's Avatar
SignalHillHiker SignalHillHiker is online now
I ♣ Baby Seals
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Sin Jaaawnz, Newf'nland
Posts: 36,342
I've mentioned before how CTV Atlantic, etc... I only ever see it on SSP. Everything Canada makes that tries to pretend Newfoundland is daily, emotionally, news program-deeply connected to the Maritimes just falls flat and gets no viewership here because we're not connected. It's too far. Halifax is that different from Montreal in terms of the proximity/thought people here give it. I stand by that... and I repeat that only to stress:

Holy — people here are OBSESSED with this tiny home community in Nova Scotia. I have seen it on every media outlet, multiple municipalities councils' talking about it, people on the local subreddits, even family and friends. I haven't never seen a mainland Canadian story get this much... truly, deeply, everyone knows about it... traction here since the Doug/Rob Ford crack stuff.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #447  
Old Posted Nov 1, 2024, 1:01 PM
MolsonExport's Avatar
MolsonExport MolsonExport is offline
Touching grass everyday.
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Otisburgh
Posts: 51,751
• Video Link


ALARMFORCE IS LISTED ON THE TSX!!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #448  
Old Posted Nov 5, 2024, 9:39 PM
kwoldtimer kwoldtimer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: La vraie capitale
Posts: 26,251
So it turns out the white blobs found on Nfld beaches are from some kind of industrial adhesive.

So disappointing - I was really hoping they were whale boogers.

Last edited by kwoldtimer; Nov 5, 2024 at 11:25 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #449  
Old Posted Nov 5, 2024, 9:42 PM
SignalHillHiker's Avatar
SignalHillHiker SignalHillHiker is online now
I ♣ Baby Seals
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Sin Jaaawnz, Newf'nland
Posts: 36,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
So it turns out the white blobs found on Nfld beaches are from some kind of industrial adhesive.

So disappointing - I was really hoping the were whale boogers.
I saw that. I wonder what it could be from? Obviously, could be based anywhere, and the gulf stream makes Placentia Bay a reasonable spot for a disproportionate amount of such things to end up even if it originated as far south as Florida... and our south coast is relatively sparsely populated. It could be on every beach from Port aux Basques to Cappahayden and only REALLY be noticed in Placentia Bay... but given the number of sightings, and their relative geographic proximity, it's likely a much closer source.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #450  
Old Posted Nov 23, 2024, 9:28 AM
SignalHillHiker's Avatar
SignalHillHiker SignalHillHiker is online now
I ♣ Baby Seals
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Sin Jaaawnz, Newf'nland
Posts: 36,342
Our Premier brought the — show to TO lol

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #451  
Old Posted Nov 23, 2024, 12:41 PM
kwoldtimer kwoldtimer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: La vraie capitale
Posts: 26,251
edit
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #452  
Old Posted Nov 27, 2024, 3:52 PM
SignalHillHiker's Avatar
SignalHillHiker SignalHillHiker is online now
I ♣ Baby Seals
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Sin Jaaawnz, Newf'nland
Posts: 36,342
B'y, if ya needs a place to hide, I'd hate to see a feller stuck.

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #453  
Old Posted Nov 28, 2024, 9:11 PM
Architype's Avatar
Architype Architype is offline
♒︎ verified human
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 🍁 Canada
Posts: 14,083
Watch Canada fall from 2nd place in the 1940s, to where it is today.


Richest Countries in the World 1500-2022 | GDP PPP per Capita
• Video Link
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #454  
Old Posted Dec 18, 2024, 2:47 AM
Gresto's Avatar
Gresto Gresto is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 5,396
How about we start a GoFundMe to buy this CTV National News anchor a suit that fits? He looks like a sausage.

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #455  
Old Posted Jan 15, 2025, 3:15 AM
elly63 elly63 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 9,783
A Prince Edward Island homeowner captured what's believed to be a first: the sight and sound of a meteorite striking the Earth

• Video Link
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #456  
Old Posted Jan 15, 2025, 8:17 PM
harls's Avatar
harls harls is online now
Mooderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Aylmer, Québec
Posts: 21,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gresto View Post
How about we start a GoFundMe to buy this CTV National News anchor a suit that fits? He looks like a sausage.

I remember him back when he was on the Montreal news when I lived there, he didn't look so airbrushed and botoxed.

Actually all the CTV anchors look like mummies now. Bring back FormaldaLloyd Roberston.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #457  
Old Posted Jan 15, 2025, 11:40 PM
Gresto's Avatar
Gresto Gresto is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 5,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
Actually all the CTV anchors look like mummies now. Bring back FormaldaLloyd Roberston.
Going way back, I also liked Knowlton Nash and Barbara Frum. With regard to reporters, I don't know if there has ever been a better one than the late Joe Schlesinger.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #458  
Old Posted Jan 16, 2025, 5:11 PM
Airboy Airboy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Edmonton/St Albert
Posts: 9,861
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gresto View Post
Going way back, I also liked Knowlton Nash and Barbara Frum. With regard to reporters, I don't know if there has ever been a better one than the late Joe Schlesinger.
These were all what I thought a Journalist was.


Harvey Kirk, Morley Safer. and who can forget René Lévesque and Jeanne Sauvé.

I've read both Kirks and Nash's autobiographies.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #459  
Old Posted Jan 18, 2025, 1:57 AM
SpongeG's Avatar
SpongeG SpongeG is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Coquitlam
Posts: 40,129
what do you think good or bad? I often see posts on social media asking if you recognize these people etc. I think people are getting fed up, when the police really do nothing, revolving doors of justice. they make a point buy courts not going to do anything anyway. There is a Korean grocery store in Surrey that has a board at the store where they post pictures of "thieves" on it and wonder if it helps.
Do criminals seen comitting crimes really deserve privacy?

Montreal police asking people not to post photos of porch pirates online


By Maria Sarrouh
Published: January 17, 2025

Across Montreal’s residential neighbourhoods, deliveries are disappearing off doorsteps.

Porch pirates bolt on to private properties, running off with online orders — and it’s often caught on doorbell cameras.

“I’ve actually had two get stolen. One of them was a very expensive pair of shoes,” says Stephanie Wadden who lives in the Notre-Dame-de-Grâce neighbourhood.


Victims are quick to post on Facebook community groups and other social media platforms.

“I posted just so, you know, other people in the area could be aware that things are being stolen,” Wadden added.

But Montreal police are asking people not to do that.

Instead, they say to go to them, arguing posting could jeopardize a case if it goes to court.


“What we strongly recommend is to give us the evidence and let things take its course,” says Francois Sauvé who heads the SVPM’s communications department.

Police add that as frustrating as it might be, even potential perpetrators have a right to privacy until proven guilty.

...

https://www.ctvnews.ca/montreal/article/...-to-post-photos-of-porch-pirates-online/
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #460  
Old Posted Jan 18, 2025, 2:06 AM
kwoldtimer kwoldtimer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: La vraie capitale
Posts: 26,251
Has there ever been a case in Canada that was dismissed because somebody posted a perp's picture on-line?
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:27 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.