Quote:
Originally Posted by r18tdi
From the Crain's story:..."While the plan created new park space and left the southern portion of the site open for a mixed-use campus, the Bears have previously said the NFL expressed security concerns over an active rail line running under the stadium.
“Primarily from a safety and security issue — building a stadium on a platform above an active railway is, we’ve been told, (an) issue from a construction, design, and operation standpoint,” Warren told Crain’s editorial board in April...."
|
Interesting.
I did NFL stadium size comps on Google and it looks like there is more than enough room for a stadium at the north end of the site (where the current Advocate and McDonalds are) without a footprint that would have to go directly over the train tracks.
I don't want to go far into speculation and conspiracy, but I find the pretext that the NFL had some well-vetted concerns about trains and security as likely bogus. Security concerns were used only as a pat reply when addressing why they discounted the MR site during their SF plan rollout. Unless there was/is some government official or expert who would confirm security concerns as an issue I would put little stock in the reasoning.
The landbridge and deck would undoubtedly increase the cost and complexity, but billions of dollars? Again, not believable. I could imagine a few hundred million, but not billions.
Be it the north or south side of MR, it is my preference compared to AH or the SF site, so maybe the Bears will indeed go with the less costly and more straightforward south end of the MR site.