Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12
Increase taxes! Start with reversing the Trump cuts. Increase capital gains taxes.
I'll note that Canada's deficit is around 2% of GDP. We could and should make some cuts to spending. I'd like to see OAS clawbacks adjusted, they are far too high. Even at 2%, if our economy grows more than that, the overall deficit/debt picture will continue to improve over time.
US deficit is around 6.5% of GDP. It's more than triple ours. They need some serious adjustments.
|
I'd be okay with paying current tax rates if it was accompanied by cuts in social assistance, social security, corporate welfare, and the money was instead invested into debt repayment, infrastructure and education.
Once the debt has been repaid I would expect taxes to gradually come down as well.
Income tax below $250K should be zero. The government should be able to fund itself from consumption taxes, and 10% on anything above $250K earned. Capital gains tax should be zero. Corporate tax should be 15%.
People shouldn't be punished for being successful and making positive contributions to society. Similarly people shouldn't be trained to believe they will be supported by the government their entire life. We need 90% of citizens to be able to carry their own weight without any government assistance. Forcing them to pay shelve out 50% of their earnings to the government (when you add up income tax, sales tax, property tax, capital gains, etc) makes it more difficult for them to do this so they end becoming dependent on the social programs their taxes are funding.