Quote:
Originally Posted by chowhou
I love Stainer and there is a lot of great information in that video, but some of his thoughts on the Purple Line are not really based in reality. Willingdon from Deer Lake Parkway up to Grange averages a 6% grade, with the slope peaking around Briarwood at over 11% grade (!!). A quick Google Maps streetview should tell you that the Skytrain isn't running above ground up Willingdon...
|
Luckily, since elevated SkyTrain is elevated above ground, that presents some options where the ground/right-of-way below is running at a steeper gradient than technically feasible; the elevation of the guideway can be varied to maintain SkyTrain at the max technical gradient. Although this would result in some tall guideway segments, it can be done, and is actually being contemplated in a city nearby (the proposed guideway height on the West Seattle Link is quite insane). Alternatively, the guideway could be brought into a tunnel portal right at the point where the gradient becomes steeper than max (I personally expect a Metrotown terminus to be underground anyway due to the elevation change).
I know that while SkyTrain has a technical maximum gradient of around 6.5% (including points on the existing system at 6.5%), TransLink in practice tries to plan around 5.5% gradients for future extensions. This was in a spec sheet for a rolling stock RFP that I viewed awhile back.