HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #241  
Old Posted Oct 17, 2024, 8:37 PM
Vin Vin is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 8,739
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burquitlaman View Post
20241016_123224 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/201507086@N06/]

Progress update on the Whitgift Gardens site. They were digging up the ground today. They're also getting ready to demo the walk ups.
Unlike Vancouver's miserable rezoning strategy for 6-stories along only a couple of arterial roads, I like how this area is building their 5-stories and townhouses.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #242  
Old Posted Oct 17, 2024, 8:50 PM
madog222 madog222 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 4,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
Unlike Vancouver's miserable rezoning strategy for 6-stories along only a couple of arterial roads, I like how this area is building their 5-stories and townhouses.
You prefer low rises only within walking distance of rapid transit stations?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #243  
Old Posted Oct 17, 2024, 8:55 PM
Burquitlaman Burquitlaman is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2024
Posts: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
Unlike Vancouver's miserable rezoning strategy for 6-stories along only a couple of arterial roads, I like how this area is building their 5-stories and townhouses.
Yeah it's crazy. Everywhere I look there is a townhouse project. That park in my picture is also doubling in size. The top right walk ups will be replaced by three tennis courts.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #244  
Old Posted Oct 17, 2024, 9:05 PM
officedweller officedweller is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 41,802
Quote:
Originally Posted by madog222 View Post
You prefer low rises only within walking distance of rapid transit stations?
I think he meant "rebuilding" (i.e redeveloping) their 5 storey buildings.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #245  
Old Posted Oct 17, 2024, 10:31 PM
Vin Vin is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 8,739
Quote:
Originally Posted by madog222 View Post
You prefer low rises only within walking distance of rapid transit stations?
Not really, because that is what Vancouver is good at (49th Ave, King Edward, City Hall, Broadway/Commercial, and the rest outside downtown are worse because the stations are surrounded by nothing but single family houses).

However, this clearly isn't the case in the Tricities because most stations are in skyscraper neighbourhoods. Even if it is, that's still not bad because multiple streets get rezoned to higher density instead of just along the arterials, as per the picture above. Royal Oak in Burnaby is a good example.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #246  
Old Posted Oct 18, 2024, 2:31 AM
jollyburger jollyburger is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 15,809
Wrong thread.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #247  
Old Posted Oct 24, 2024, 1:52 AM
SpongeG's Avatar
SpongeG SpongeG is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Coquitlam
Posts: 40,127
at SOCO the third tower is getting some height now and the 6th storey wood frame is coming along.

Two of the retail spaces along North Road have tenants coming. One will be Paris Baquette, a bakery chain from Korea, and the other will be Sushi Mura.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #248  
Old Posted Oct 24, 2024, 3:29 PM
Burquitlaman Burquitlaman is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2024
Posts: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
at SOCO the third tower is getting some height now and the 6th storey wood frame is coming along.

Two of the retail spaces along North Road have tenants coming. One will be Paris Baquette, a bakery chain from Korea, and the other will be Sushi Mura.
the people in those towers will definitely love how close they are to Korea Town, but I still don't love their adajancy to the highway. I walked there recently and I really liked all the little shops at the podium level. I wish they would do that for all buildings at Burquitlam all the way up to como lake, even if the building was a block East of North Road, not just the ones right on the road.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #249  
Old Posted Oct 25, 2024, 3:25 AM
jollyburger jollyburger is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 15,809


Quote:
PCI Developments Refines Twin 39-Storey Spring Street Project In Port Moody

After a round of public engagement and refinements to their proposal, PCI Developments' project next to Moody Centre Station in Port Moody has begun making its way through the approval process, with Council granting a first and second reading to the project on October 22.

The subject site of the project is a 2.5-acre property comprised of 60 Williams Street, 3006 Spring Street, 3010 Spring Street, and 3020 Spring Street, which BC Assessment values at $10,730,000, $21,181,700, $7,370,300, and $9,295,900, for a total valuation of $48,577,900.

The ownership of the four parcels are split between three parties, however. 60 Williams Street is owned by the Province, which has endorsed the project and will be transferring its development density to its own TOD project immediately west. The remaining three properties are then held under Spring Street Holdings Corp., which is beneficially owned by PCI Port Moody Development Corp. and 11035517 Canada Inc.

PCI Port Moody Development Corp. is controlled by PCI Developments while 11035517 Canada Inc. is controlled by TD Greystone Asset Management, which a representative confirmed to STOREYS. The two partners also co-own the two office buildings at 601 W Hastings Street and 333 Seymour Street, located across the street from Waterfront Station in downtown Vancouver.

For the Port Moody site, PCI has proposed two 39-storey residential towers with a total of 865 rental units that would sit atop a shared two-level commercial podium, as well as a public transit plaza that would merge onto Moody Centre Station. The project, designed by Perkins&Will, has a total proposed floor area ratio of 6.96.
https://storeys.com/pci-developments-spring-street-port-moody/
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #250  
Old Posted Oct 25, 2024, 6:04 PM
vancity_m vancity_m is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2023
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burquitlaman View Post
the people in those towers will definitely love how close they are to Korea Town, but I still don't love their adajancy to the highway. I walked there recently and I really liked all the little shops at the podium level. I wish they would do that for all buildings at Burquitlam all the way up to como lake, even if the building was a block East of North Road, not just the ones right on the road.
Definitely! There needs to be more ground level retail in the developments off North Road and Clarke Road as well. Much nicer from a pedestrian perspective to shop along a street with less vehicular traffic, and the area is getting dense enough to support this now.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #251  
Old Posted Oct 25, 2024, 8:26 PM
Burquitlaman Burquitlaman is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2024
Posts: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by vancity_m View Post
Definitely! There needs to be more ground level retail in the developments off North Road and Clarke Road as well. Much nicer from a pedestrian perspective to shop along a street with less vehicular traffic, and the area is getting dense enough to support this now.
To add to my current wish list for the area:

(1) Metro Van/Sewer contractors better fix North Road properly once they're done. The road looks like a chewed up dog toy right now. They're paving each section as they finish, but their paving looks like a high school project. I think I'm going to Karen it up and start writing emails.

(2) Burnaby really needs to get its head out of its back side when it comes to that stretch from Cameron street and North Road (shoppers area) all the way up to Como. The single family homes along the road are just
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #252  
Old Posted Oct 25, 2024, 8:57 PM
GMD GMD is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burquitlaman View Post
To add to my current wish list for the area:

(1) Metro Van/Sewer contractors better fix North Road properly once they're done. The road looks like a chewed up dog toy right now. They're paving each section as they finish, but their paving looks like a high school project. I think I'm going to Karen it up and start writing emails.

(2) Burnaby really needs to get its head out of its back side when it comes to that stretch from Cameron street and North Road (shoppers area) all the way up to Como. The single family homes along the road are just
I agree with your whole list, although my #1 wish is for Morguard to stop stalling and redevelop Burquitlam Plaza.

With respect to point #2 above, I was driving up North Road with my son some time back, and he asked me, "Which side is which [municipality] again?" And after I told him he paused for a couple of seconds, and then asked me, "Is Burnaby a poor city?" and then didn't understand when I cracked up laughing.

At least some of that stretch of detached houses in Burnaby close to Como Lake Road is part of the provincial TOD zone around transit stations, so maybe it will see some change someday.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #253  
Old Posted Oct 26, 2024, 7:25 AM
Burquitlaman Burquitlaman is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2024
Posts: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMD View Post
I agree with your whole list, although my #1 wish is for Morguard to stop stalling and redevelop Burquitlam Plaza.

With respect to point #2 above, I was driving up North Road with my son some time back, and he asked me, "Which side is which [municipality] again?" And after I told him he paused for a couple of seconds, and then asked me, "Is Burnaby a poor city?" and then didn't understand when I cracked up laughing.

At least some of that stretch of detached houses in Burnaby close to Como Lake Road is part of the provincial TOD zone around transit stations, so maybe it will see some change someday.
I've given up on Morguard. I've probably emailed them 3-4 times asking for a response 😂. I just want to know what their damn plan is. I go to the plaza a lot to shop. I may ask the shop owners what they've heard.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #254  
Old Posted Oct 28, 2024, 5:39 AM
Snow_Wolf Snow_Wolf is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Location: Vancouver area
Posts: 125
Update on remodeling at Douglas College for energy efficiency improvements. Article here.


Full resolution
Before:


Going purely off appearance, I prefer how it looked before.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #255  
Old Posted Oct 28, 2024, 6:49 AM
BaddieB BaddieB is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Posts: 656
How they deyassified my boy
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #256  
Old Posted Nov 8, 2024, 10:06 AM
officedweller officedweller is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 41,802
Alina

From Strand twitter Nov 5th:


https://twitter.com/Stranddev

Komo

From Strand Twitter Oct 23rd:


https://twitter.com/Stranddev

Komo crane installation Oct 9th:

https://twitter.com/i/status/1844151072698532256
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #257  
Old Posted Nov 8, 2024, 9:01 PM
SpongeG's Avatar
SpongeG SpongeG is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Coquitlam
Posts: 40,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by vancity_m View Post
Definitely! There needs to be more ground level retail in the developments off North Road and Clarke Road as well. Much nicer from a pedestrian perspective to shop along a street with less vehicular traffic, and the area is getting dense enough to support this now.
Pur & Simple is opening in the Meridian and Trees Organic coffee in one of the new towers, not sure if highpoint or the one next door. I imagine spaces will fill up fast, there is a huge influx of people already, on the cusp of many more.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #258  
Old Posted Nov 10, 2024, 10:12 PM
Burquitlaman Burquitlaman is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2024
Posts: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
Pur & Simple is opening in the Meridian and Trees Organic coffee in one of the new towers, not sure if highpoint or the one next door. I imagine spaces will fill up fast, there is a huge influx of people already, on the cusp of many more.
Pur & simple would be nice. I'm not seeing anything on their website. Where did you see it?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #259  
Old Posted Nov 11, 2024, 1:15 AM
SpongeG's Avatar
SpongeG SpongeG is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Coquitlam
Posts: 40,127
they have listed under Vancouver, there is construction work going inside the space now. Previously a condo sales place.

Quote:
VANCOUVER – MERIDIAN (COMING SOON)
502 Clarke Road, Coquitlam, BC
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #260  
Old Posted Nov 11, 2024, 4:30 AM
Burquitlaman Burquitlaman is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2024
Posts: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
they have listed under Vancouver, there is construction work going inside the space now. Previously a condo sales place.
Thanks. I see it now.

In other news, I got tired of getting ignored by the burquitlam plaza people so I just emailed their leasing office and acted interested in leasing a space in the plaza. I asked about the construction timeline in my spiel 😂.

Let's see if they're going to bite. They've probably blacklisted my email by now. At this point the project is basically dead.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 6:49 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.