HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #18721  
Old Posted Nov 7, 2024, 12:08 AM
Comrade's Avatar
Comrade Comrade is online now
They all float down here
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Hair City, Utah
Posts: 9,637
I incorporated Magna, Millcreek & South Salt Lake (as well as Holladay I believe) into SLC.

I know one thing: if Salt Lake had control of Holladay, that damn mall site would have been developed long ago.

AS for Magna, lol my guy if I'm incorporating Midvale into Murray, Magna isn't getting spared. It's either Salt Lake or West Valley. Pick one.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #18722  
Old Posted Nov 7, 2024, 3:37 AM
rockies's Avatar
rockies rockies is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Location: Utah
Posts: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by meman View Post
Also any news on the Main Street Tower.?

I know Hines keeps saying the project is still alive.
The most recent article I have seen. From August 30, 2024:
Quote:
“While current economic conditions limit our ability to launch the initially planned project for this site at this time,” added Hines senior managing director Dusty Harris, “we remain fully committed to the project and the Salt Lake community.”
Quote:
Two weeks ago, through a South Jordan subcontractor, Hines quietly applied at City Hall for a building permit to convert a portion of the storied theater locale into an asphalt parking lot, along with a retention pond and associated site improvements.
It will become a small surface parking lot. Also, Hines south temple office-residential conversion will be complete in fall 2025 with 217 units.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #18723  
Old Posted Nov 7, 2024, 9:43 AM
i-215's Avatar
i-215 i-215 is offline
Exit 298
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Inland Empire (CA)
Posts: 3,494
Quote:
Originally Posted by Always Sunny in SLC View Post
This is why it needs to be forced at the state level. There is way too much bureaucracy created by so many cities and all their own councils and laws. It makes in general long term planning in difficult and makes integrated transportation planning in particular difficult.

Progress on zoning reform is a bureaucratic mess.

Having volunteer community councils that advise and maybe even have some limited regulatory powers seems good, but Davis County, Utah County and parts of Salt Lake have demonstrated going too far on city creation slows progress dramatically and leads to a lot of intra county fighting and politicking.
It easily spins out of control the other way, where the San Fernando Valley (1.8M people) gets totally ignored by the Los Angeles City Council, because there's a hill in the way. No rail transit. Social issues ignored.

Zoning power is granted to the STATE by the Tenth Amendment of the US Constitution. It's the state's fault that they chose to delegate that to hundreds of city councils, *not* the fault that there are a variety of smaller local cities.

The state can reclaim that power by legislation if they wish. But they won't, because rich towns like Cottonwood Heights, Draper, and Alpine want to retain their economic-exclusion zoning power. And if we are going to complain about small working-class places like Magna being responsible for making zoning reform impossible, I counter that maybe we should target rich cities instead.

Nobody is being economically excluded out of Magna because of intentional zoning rules.
__________________
I've stopped caring. Good luck, America
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #18724  
Old Posted Nov 8, 2024, 10:36 AM
bob rulz bob rulz is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: SL,UT
Posts: 1,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
I incorporated Magna, Millcreek & South Salt Lake (as well as Holladay I believe) into SLC.

I know one thing: if Salt Lake had control of Holladay, that damn mall site would have been developed long ago.

AS for Magna, lol my guy if I'm incorporating Midvale into Murray, Magna isn't getting spared. It's either Salt Lake or West Valley. Pick one.
Most of Millcreek and Holladay have too much of a suburban mindset. I feel of a different mind - if SLC incorporated these areas, good planning in SLC would be harder to come by. I don't really want the elitist rich fake liberal NIMBYs of Holladay to have any say in Salt Lake City's planning. South Salt Lake and maybe Millcreek would be fine, but not Holladay. I think i-215 has a good point about Magna as well. SLC already struggles to bring equitable access to west side residents. If Magna were part of Salt Lake City, it would be completely separated from the rest of the city by an industrial warehouse wasteland. Magna also has a unique history and feel compared even to WVC. Magna is fine as its own city.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #18725  
Old Posted Nov 8, 2024, 11:28 PM
Comrade's Avatar
Comrade Comrade is online now
They all float down here
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Hair City, Utah
Posts: 9,637
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob rulz View Post
Most of Millcreek and Holladay have too much of a suburban mindset. I feel of a different mind - if SLC incorporated these areas, good planning in SLC would be harder to come by. I don't really want the elitist rich fake liberal NIMBYs of Holladay to have any say in Salt Lake City's planning. South Salt Lake and maybe Millcreek would be fine, but not Holladay. I think i-215 has a good point about Magna as well. SLC already struggles to bring equitable access to west side residents. If Magna were part of Salt Lake City, it would be completely separated from the rest of the city by an industrial warehouse wasteland. Magna also has a unique history and feel compared even to WVC. Magna is fine as its own city.
I don't see those areas any different than 90% of Salt Lake tbh and SugarHouse has exploded in that type of growth.

What you're missing is that if SugarHouse was independent of Salt Lake, its own city, it would not be booming like it is today. The NIMBYs in this area would have banded together and stopped any development. Incorporating most - maybe not all - of that area into Salt Lake, tho, kinda forces the idea that it happens.

But politically, culturally and demographically, these communities are almost indistinguishable from the rest of Eastern Salt Lake.

If we were talking Sandy and Cottonwood Heights? Yeah, I'd agree there.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #18726  
Old Posted Nov 9, 2024, 2:09 AM
i-215's Avatar
i-215 i-215 is offline
Exit 298
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Inland Empire (CA)
Posts: 3,494
Well, it's moot. Magna is now a full-fledged city.

And thank god for that.

---

More statewide aggressive minimum density rules

More statewide equalization for public employee salaries

^^^^ This is the approach. Not to repicate the City of Los Angeles where almost nobody (except like 3 rich white neighborhoods) gets a voice in city planning and policy,.
__________________
I've stopped caring. Good luck, America
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #18727  
Old Posted Nov 9, 2024, 4:55 AM
Rileybo's Avatar
Rileybo Rileybo is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 390
LA and SLC aren’t comparable in this regard. You’ve got it backwards. It’s beneficial to be incorporated into the larger wealthier more influential city. Otherwise, podunk suburbs like Magna stagnate and are *actually* forgotten.

But you’re right, it’s moot.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #18728  
Old Posted Nov 9, 2024, 7:35 AM
bob rulz bob rulz is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: SL,UT
Posts: 1,616
I agree with you that much of Millcreek is similar to east Salt Lake, but it would significantly expand the influence of that suburban mindset. Although I will say I think that Millcreek has made some respectable planning decisions since incorporation. I disagree about Holladay - it's a whole different beast down there. Holladay is where much of the "old money" resides.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #18729  
Old Posted Nov 9, 2024, 5:54 PM
wrendog's Avatar
wrendog wrendog is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: San Antonio TX
Posts: 4,283
Full rebuild of the convention center? That's the hubub... In conjunction with the SEG plans, it makes sense. Don't love taking money from transportation budget, but hopefully they figure something out that works.

https://youtu.be/kUvFJhkRraQ
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #18730  
Old Posted Nov 9, 2024, 10:53 PM
RC14's Avatar
RC14 RC14 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 1,149
A full rebuild feels like the only path forward at this point. Although it's unfortunate given all the money that has gone into the current Frankenstein's monster over the years.

I'm also uneasy about taking money from the transportation fund.
__________________
Real estate agent working in Salt Lake and Ogden
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #18731  
Old Posted Nov 10, 2024, 12:28 AM
Comrade's Avatar
Comrade Comrade is online now
They all float down here
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Hair City, Utah
Posts: 9,637
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob rulz View Post
I agree with you that much of Millcreek is similar to east Salt Lake, but it would significantly expand the influence of that suburban mindset. Although I will say I think that Millcreek has made some respectable planning decisions since incorporation. I disagree about Holladay - it's a whole different beast down there. Holladay is where much of the "old money" resides.
I think Millcreek is far more urban-conscious than huge swaths of the city (specifically everything west of State and then the foothills), so, I disagree.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #18732  
Old Posted Nov 10, 2024, 6:07 AM
Ironweed Ironweed is offline
Ironweed
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Utah
Posts: 572
It appears that UTA has released updated plans for its hell or highwater transit development at Central Station. The plan is the antithesis of a gathering place. It is far worse looking than the original plan.

UTA is as arrogant as it is incompetent.

Please! Everyone that reads the SLC forum go out and support the Rio Grand Plan!

The alternative will be a catastrophic failure!!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #18733  
Old Posted Nov 11, 2024, 3:27 PM
Orlando's Avatar
Orlando Orlando is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,132
/\/\/\
I think the issue is that this has been in the works for years, and the Rio Grande Plan is only now finally getting some traction. It's kind of hard to reverse course when they've already spent the time and money on the design of their HQ. Though, I thought it was going to be taller. Also, I have limited access to Building Salt Lake's articles nowadays. So, if any of you do. Can you please try to post the article?

https://buildingsaltlake.com/uta-reveals...t-hub-and-administrative-hq-on-600-west/
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #18734  
Old Posted Nov 11, 2024, 3:54 PM
Atlas's Avatar
Atlas Atlas is offline
Space Magi
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 2,007
There was no new information on the project at this meeting, so BSL calling it a "reveal" is disingenuous. Here's a free article from City Weekly when it was first shown a few months ago.

The BSL article also fails to mention that Mendenhall was very critical of the design of this building at last week's meeting, calling it a "wall", questioning why they didn't go taller, and saying it did not look like an inviting place. This was refreshing because UTA has stonewalled any public feedback on this project.
__________________
r/DevelopmentSLC
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #18735  
Old Posted Nov 11, 2024, 11:09 PM
Comrade's Avatar
Comrade Comrade is online now
They all float down here
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Hair City, Utah
Posts: 9,637
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
/\/\/\
I think the issue is that this has been in the works for years, and the Rio Grande Plan is only now finally getting some traction. It's kind of hard to reverse course when they've already spent the time and money on the design of their HQ. Though, I thought it was going to be taller. Also, I have limited access to Building Salt Lake's articles nowadays. So, if any of you do. Can you please try to post the article?

https://buildingsaltlake.com/uta-reveals...t-hub-and-administrative-hq-on-600-west/
I like it?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #18736  
Old Posted Nov 12, 2024, 1:20 AM
wrendog's Avatar
wrendog wrendog is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: San Antonio TX
Posts: 4,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
I like it?
I was gonna say... I was expecting something infinitely worse
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #18737  
Old Posted Nov 12, 2024, 1:44 AM
TheGeographer TheGeographer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 295
They built more interesting looking and more street (parking lot) engaging buildings in Mountain View village in Riverton. And that shouldn’t be what we’re striving for on the west side of downtown. I’m with Mendenhall on this one. Just looks like a giant long glass wall. Would love to see a little more height. We should be striving for Denver union station height. Let’s do better than Denver. Let’s bury the rails.

I spoke with a long time higher up from UDOT a while back and they claimed the Rio grande was not feasible because of it digging into the liquefaction and water drainage issues. I’m assuming the Rio Grande accounts for this
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #18738  
Old Posted Nov 12, 2024, 5:37 AM
mattreedah mattreedah is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrendog View Post
I was gonna say... I was expecting something infinitely worse
It’s great. The city council is wrong on this. Get it done while there is appetite for it.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #18739  
Old Posted Nov 12, 2024, 7:36 AM
bob rulz bob rulz is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: SL,UT
Posts: 1,616
It's a big glass wall. I'm surprised there's a few here singing its praises. It could've been worse but it could also be so much better.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #18740  
Old Posted Nov 12, 2024, 3:35 PM
Atlas's Avatar
Atlas Atlas is offline
Space Magi
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 2,007
I agree with Mendenhall that it's not the right design for that parcel. Something broken up and taller would be more suitable, not another wall on 300S. That rendering is too flattering. Here's the context:



Also, Asher Adams just opened at the Gateway and it's very cool. Highly recommend you check out the remodeled interior and new food and beverage spots!





__________________
r/DevelopmentSLC
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:19 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.