HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Yesterday, 10:25 PM

In other news, I've talked about why we need AUKUS before. And it's to preserve this kind of a lead. U of T Physics Prof is sharing the Nobel Prize in Physics for his work on Machine Learning, Neural networks and Artificial Intelligence.

https://www.utoronto.ca/news/geoffre...ns-nobel-prize

Old Posted Yesterday, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
Ottawa Police Service had a good week to come up with a decent response, they failed. The federal government knew that they were the target of the convoy and had a week to come up with a plan (which if this country wasn't incapable of rapid reaction) with the OPS/PPS/RCMP and they all failed. Instead, they all hoped the convoy would run out of steam at Thunder Bay. On the convoy side, it was the classic case of the dog catching the car and they kept pushing the envelope until they were squatting on Wellington. Once there they had no plans except making the locals and parliamentarians lives miserable.

A competent outfit would of had the convoy folks gone in 3 days, 4 at most.
The police chief resigned. He ended up taking responsibility. This was his responsibility to resolve. He was also responsible for asking for help from higher orders of government.

These other forces staying out what amounted to a local policing issue.

Perhaps we need to move away from the capital regional being policed by local police forces and instead have the RCMP or a similar federal force take over. However that is not in the cards.

Those involved are having their day in a provincial court being charged by a provincial crown prosecutor.

The feds were forced to respond by lack of action by the city and province. We should not have reached the point where the Emergency Act was needed.

Old Posted Yesterday, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
And you vote for and support who exactly? Santa Claus?
I wish I could vote for Santa. The guy at least cares about people.

Old Posted Yesterday, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
There have been lots of comments on here saying that the convoy-occupation in Ottawa was actually WORSE than the pro-Palestinian protests. Let's look at some facts.

The convoy-occupation lasted for about one month.

It was largely limited to the central business district of Ottawa, which has a population of less than 30,000 people I would say.

The pro-Palestinian protests have been going on for a year, in the downtowns of Toronto, Montréal and Ottawa. We have had them every single weekend since October of 2023, so that's at least 52 protests in each city. There have also been weekday protests in all three cities so we're at way more than 52 days.

So we are already at way more days of protest than the convoy-occupation, which lasted for 30-40 days.

In terms of people affected, the populations of these three cities' downtowns is a lot more than 30,000 people.

Plus, the pro-Palestinian protests often focus hate on a specific demographic of the population: Jews. Jews number about 350,000 in Canada. There is considerable anxiety felt by the Jewish community since Oct. 7, 2023, due to the terrorist attacks but also due to the hostility and aggressiveness towards them that comes out of these protests.

There was nothing equivalent that was associated with the convoy-occupation.

The pro-Palestinian protests have led to vandalism in our cities, and violent confrontations with counter-protestors. Again, what happened during the convoy-occupation (arrest and guns seized at Coutts?) is not really comparable. If we are going to bring up Coutts then we should bring up shots being fired and other dangerous vandalism at Jewish community buildings like schools in our cities as well.

So all in all, not really sure people are right when they say the convoy-occupation had worse impacts.
These liberal defending boobs call the convoy folks ku klux klan members and nazis, while literal nazis are marching freely in the streets.

But it’s okay because they go home at night. lol idiots.

I don’t recall any convoy members shooting up jewish elementary schools but ohh well those truckers are clearly worse. I mean bouncy castles. The terror!

Old Posted Yesterday, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00 View Post
Is your literacy poor or did you just accuse an actively serving member of sympathizing with pro-Islamist protesters because you can't understand the words "any" and "foreign"?

I don't give a shit about the cause. If you're getting money from outside Canada, and it's to further your activities with a political aim, your account should be frozen. I don't care if that's a pro-puppies for all group or pro-Hamas or pro-morons who don't understand how international borders work.
Maybe it’s you with the poor literacy issue. lol. Germany banned Samidoun last year. While Canada fucks the dog. BuT tHe coNvoY durrr.

Old Posted Yesterday, 11:12 PM

And for the record I spent fifteen years of my life feeding elderly veterans. I worked in a nursing home while covid was coming. It was fucking terrifying seeing what was happening around the world, at the beginning every measure made sense. But towards the end it was just a gross display of incompetence.

This pandemic was entirely preventable, an independent review by the who came to this conclusion. had people at the who done their jobs this shit show would never have happened. Yet those people still have their jobs. The head of the world health organization should be in jail for his incompetence.

Old Posted Yesterday, 11:42 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hecate View Post
This pandemic was entirely preventable, an independent review by the who came to this conclusion. had people at the who done their jobs this shit show would never have happened. Yet those people still have their jobs. The head of the world health organization should be in jail for his incompetence.
I don't know if it was "preventable" but people have clearly not learned any lessons. Stay home if sick. I still see so many with symptoms of something who are probably commuting to jobs they can do from home, but they go in anyway. And share the love with fellow commuters, who don't try to "protect" themselves either.

Old Posted Yesterday, 11:46 PM

one thing has happened post-COVID is where I work when anyone gets sick they wear a mask lol even though we are told to stay home and have sick days yet they still come into work.

Old Posted Today, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hecate View Post
These liberal defending boobs call the convoy folks ku klux klan members and nazis, while literal nazis are marching freely in the streets.

But it’s okay because they go home at night. lol idiots.

I don’t recall any convoy members shooting up jewish elementary schools but ohh well those truckers are clearly worse. I mean bouncy castles. The terror!
The nazis, are deeply disturbing. I don't think anyone here is sympathetic to the agenda they are pushing forward. Do they have a right to have that view and express it? Probably.

The convoy protesters, had a right to their view and to express it. The problem was they went beyond that that. They basically tried to hold society ransom. Do as we want or we won't let Ottawa go back to normal and we will blockade international crossings. That is the red line they crossed. I would hope that if the nazis did the same, they would get a similar response.

Who cares about the bouncy castles. If they went and rented some space in a local shopping center parking lot and setup their bouncy castle no one would have blinked an eye.

As for shotting at children in elementary class. That is equally deplorable and highly illegal. Those responsible need to be charged.

Old Posted Today, 12:55 AM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
The large Palestinian rallies that you take offence to? The Convoy was worse than that, and was non-stop for weeks in Ottawa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
There have been lots of comments on here saying that the convoy-occupation in Ottawa was actually WORSE than the pro-Palestinian protests. Let's look at some facts.

The convoy-occupation lasted for about one month.

It was largely limited to the central business district of Ottawa, which has a population of less than 30,000 people I would say.

The pro-Palestinian protests have been going on for a year, in the downtowns of Toronto, Montréal and Ottawa. We have had them every single weekend since October of 2023, so that's at least 52 protests in each city. There have also been weekday protests in all three cities so we're at way more than 52 days.

So we are already at way more days of protest than the convoy-occupation, which lasted for 30-40 days.

In terms of people affected, the populations of these three cities' downtowns is a lot more than 30,000 people.

Plus, the pro-Palestinian protests often focus hate on a specific demographic of the population: Jews. Jews number about 350,000 in Canada. There is considerable anxiety felt by the Jewish community since Oct. 7, 2023, due to the terrorist attacks but also due to the hostility and aggressiveness towards them that comes out of these protests.

There was nothing equivalent that was associated with the convoy-occupation.

The pro-Palestinian protests have led to vandalism in our cities, and violent confrontations with counter-protestors. Again, what happened during the convoy-occupation (arrest and guns seized at Coutts?) is not really comparable. If we are going to bring up Coutts then we should bring up shots being fired and other dangerous vandalism at Jewish community buildings like schools in our cities as well.

So all in all, not really sure people are right when they say the convoy-occupation had worse impacts.
Whatever one thought of the ultimately benign convoy protest in Ottawa, it is simply unreasonable to claim that it was worse than the on-going rallies calling for the genocide of Jews. That's a profound moral failure/confusion characteristic of the distinctive ideological capture of the left these days. Even if you subscribe to the childishly simplistic oppressor-oppressed binary and therefore feel "sorry" for Palestinians in Gaza, the outright calls to kill Jews should give you pause, even if a not unsubstantial portion of the fellow travellers are naifs who undoubtedly think they have good or honourable intentions.

I mean, the what-aboutisms practically write themselves. Uyghurs, Sudan, Syria, Lebanon (where real, not made-up, apartheid is actually occurring to Palestinians) etc.

The vile marches are appalling, but free speech is free speech, and we're a free country still, more or less. Though we really ought to reign in the outright threats and intimidation against individual Jews and their neighbourhoods and businesses. I'm confounded as to how that's allowed to go on.

The truckers in Ottawa weren't the brightest bulbs, but they were a joyful bunch with bouncy castles, all told. They didn't call for anyone to be killed, much less any racial or ethnic groups (the odd caricature of Trudeau in a noose notwithstanding, if memory serves).

(I originally posted this is the politics thread, but it fits better here)

Old Posted Today, 1:00 AM

Quote:
Yeah. But there's a lot more there. First off, the local sympathizing police force basically took the convoy organizers at their word. Then there's just jurisdictional mess where the Premier basically forgot that Ottawa was part of Ontario and sat on his hands until they decided to block the border and threatened to gridlock downtown Toronto. And finally the RCMP has zero jurisdiction in Ottawa without the province asking for it. So they stood around and watched the place fall apart too.

I'm going to remember all the sympathizers on here when some leftist protests does half the shit the Convoy did and the Conservative government starts arresting them for terrorism. If anybody thinks that's exaggeration those were the threats the Harper Government made against the Occupy protesters of they were expanded beyond their little park occupation in the core. And those guys didn't even impact traffic let alone impose and pollution noise levels that a judge considered akin to torture.
I understand that for the folks within 5km of Parliament Hill it was bloody horrible. My point is that the Government (all levels) failed them because they never took the convoy seriously when it was still west of Winnipeg. And I do not think they have done anything to prepare themselves to better respond if something similar happens again.

I was still living in Regina when this happened. I saw the beginnings of the convoy as it passed through Manitoba. I was driving west from Brandon to Regina and met the main body between Oak Lake and Virden and was quite surprised at the amount of people who drove up to the TCH from the north and south to cheer them on. These people had little to no knowledge of the make up of the convoy or its intentions, it was just a group of people heading to Ottawa to stick to the Trudeau Liberals (a sentiment that has been popular on the prairies since the days of PET). So for the people who drove to the TCH to honk their horn (for about 5 minutes) in support of the convoy it was a bit of a letting off steam and nothing more. After the convoy passed they then got in their vehicles and drove back home and never really gave the convoy another thought.
There is a long history of protestors heading east to make their case to Ottawa and most of the time it would fizzle out by Winnipeg, although one was violently broke up in Regina during the 1930's. Anyway this time just felt different out here in the Prairies and if the feds had any SA on the prairies they would have felt it as well. The convoy could have been very easily infiltrated by the RCMP as it was gathering steam (the make up was predominately white male) and the folks in Ottawa could have been better prepared.
But they weren't, the shyte happened, and AFIK no lessons were learned which is par for the course for this country.

I agree with you that the NCR or a large portion of it should be set up like Washington DC with one police force to take care it.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada