HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Today, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Couldn't he go back to being a high school drama teacher? He has a lot of practical work experience from the last 10 years. That must count for something.
Most of the sinecures that the party stashes in Montreal and Toronto are in law firms.

Old Posted Today, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00 View Post
Also, as pointed out in the replies, their original image of Terry Fox wasn't so innocent either.

https://x.com/avatart___/status/1843...-PXKeaB6Q&s=19
What’s so bad about it? How is it just as bad as burning a flag while chanting death to Canada. An upside down flag is distress no?

The truckers were literally defending their charter rights.

The terrorist sympathizers not so much.

Old Posted Today, 1:01 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:

The convoy was condemned by trucking industry and labour groups. The Canadian Trucking Alliance stated that most protesters had no connection to trucking.

Old Posted Today, 1:02 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Most of the sinecures that the party stashes in Montreal and Toronto are in law firms.
Even better! He is well experienced and well versed in the art of histrionics and crocodile tears. This could come in very handy in coaching new legal hires in the art of courtroom drama and jury manipulation.

Old Posted Today, 1:21 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hecate View Post
Would you be so supportive if it was death to Quebec?
"Supportive" is the wrong term. I am not "supportive" of burning the Canadian flag or chanting "death to Canada" either.

But I don't think it should be illegal to burn the Quebec flag or chant "death to Quebec", no.

Though it's potentially a bit more complicated as "Quebec" is for many people a (deliberate or unwitting) code word for "French Canadians".

Just as "Detroit" or "Harlem" are code words for African-Americans in the US.

But it's almost impossible to prove intent for such things so definitely should not classified as hate speech.

Still, we know these types of people when we see 'em.

Old Posted Today, 1:24 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hecate View Post
What’s so bad about it? How is it just as bad as burning a flag while chanting death to Canada. An upside down flag is distress no?

The terrorist sympathizers not so much.
I wasn't a supporter or sympathizer of the so-called freedom convoy, but this is a valid point that while also of dubious taste, posthumously appropriating Terry Fox for one's cause is still a few rungs lower on the seriousness scale than actually burning the Canadian flag and chanting "death to Canada".

Old Posted Today, 1:33 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by P'tit Renard View Post
Anecdotally we don't find that's the case. Many of the young metropolitan French arriving are for the most part the younger generation who's captivated by American culture (in a way it's self-sorting since the ones who abhor American culture will stay in Europe), and the irony is that a lot of them came across the pond to learn English and build "North American" work experience, but in an environment that doesn't feel foreign to them. Working professionally in Montreal/Quebec lets them get away with barely functional bilingual English skills, as long they're natively fluent in French. My SO's hired at least a few French who wouldn't be able to converse with their American HQ counterparts.

So to be honest they don't have strong feelings either way about sovereignty, and aren't that interested in rocking the boat and plunging themselves into a national crisis. Hence, they're not a reliable voting bloc for PSPP to rely on for the Oui vote.

That matches exactly with what I see on the ground, even with les maudits français on the Plateau.
The French immigrants living in Quebec are rather ambivalent about the broader Canada, and in a sense Quebec and largely Quebec alone, is effectively *their Canada*. The rest doesn't really factor into much but even so for most this doesn't seem to motivate more than a minority of them to want to upset the apple cart and support Quebec independence. Perhaps this will change over time, but we've had (admittedly smaller) numbers of French here for several decades at this point, and nothing has really changed on this front.

Old Posted Today, 3:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Couldn't he go back to being a high school drama teacher? He has a lot of practical work experience from the last 10 years. That must count for something.
In all fairness he was working on a graduate degree in geography and environmental engineering that he pulled out from when he became leader of the liberal party.

I would think he would fit in well taking on a leadership with any one of the many environmental groups in Canada. We know, if the conservatives get in we will need a strong environmentalist movement in the country to standup against the "drill baby drill" mentality.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada