HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Oct 6, 2024, 1:52 PM

Does anyone understand the reason that bike lanes would switch the side of the road? The 22nd street bike lane does this, and even the sharrow on 21st. I always wondered if there was some reason for that.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2024, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skintreesnail View Post
Does anyone understand the reason that bike lanes would switch the side of the road? The 22nd street bike lane does this, and even the sharrow on 21st. I always wondered if there was some reason for that.
York does it too. Very dangerous spot too.

Old Posted Yesterday, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skintreesnail View Post
In the case of 22nd specifically, I believe that’s just a case of OTIS being ok with projects being half-finished for years. Most original bike lanes are right-side, but more recently OTIS found that left-side bike lanes are safest on one-way streets. So I think what happened is that the left-side bike lane segment was repaved more recently, and the remaining right-side segment will wait until the scheduled repaving.

Old Posted Yesterday, 7:50 PM

I'll try to snap a pic next time I walk by it, but this absolutely massive single family project has gradually progressed over the course of the past year or two. Really curious to see how this one turns out given how visible the corner is and how divergent the midcentury and federal styles are.

https://www.phila.gov/media/20191015...t-remanded.pdf

Old Posted Yesterday, 8:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raja View Post
I'll try to snap a pic next time I walk by it, but this absolutely massive single family project has gradually progressed over the course of the past year or two. Really curious to see how this one turns out given how visible the corner is and how divergent the midcentury and federal styles are.

Holy shit.

I had no idea. How cool.

Old Posted Yesterday, 9:32 PM

Quote:

Oh, at first I thought it they were building two small new houses on the lot, then from reading the doc I see those are a single addition to the two rowhouses next to it which are also combined. I'm curious the square footage on that and also a little curious who might be living there...

Old Posted Today, 2:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phishtown View Post
Oh, at first I thought it they were building two small new houses on the lot, then from reading the doc I see those are a single addition to the two rowhouses next to it which are also combined. I'm curious the square footage on that and also a little curious who might be living there...
The zoning PDF very clearly says who's living there as the residence is the owners Surname. Forman. I assume of Forman Mills.

Old Posted Today, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post
The zoning PDF very clearly says who's living there as the residence is the owners Surname. Forman. I assume of Forman Mills.
My guess is it's actually Michael Forman (CEO of FS Investments) and his family.

Old Posted Today, 1:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post
How cool.
What is it you like about this?

Old Posted Today, 1:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin7 View Post
What is it you like about this?
What I like about it is that it is happening on 4th Street in Society Hill instead of Gladwyne or Villanova.

Old Posted Today, 2:18 PM

Quote:

Interesting to see how these overly-broad historical periods led to neo-midcentury modern being an acceptable style. I guess the same could happen to WSW since their district for some reason goes up to the Modern period too. I hate everything about it for the same reason I hate all the other Modern homes there, big blank uninviting walls, fences, walled off, and a garage curb cut for good measure. I'm not surprised they're all in support for more of that I guess

Old Posted Today, 2:37 PM

More Student Oriented Housing Coming to Hawk Hill Near City Line Ave

Nice looking facade on the front, although like other projects in the area I doubt they'll continue it around the building. The article includes this photo of the development further up the street:

I have some friends who live here. Very nice front facades and street level interaction, and the apartments feel less cheap than some other student-oriented developments I've seen in recent years, but there's still the business of the rest of the facades feeling ugly and out of place.

Old Posted Today, 2:43 PM

All they had to do was go with the precast panels that look like stucco and it would have looked fine. Maybe even just a different color. As for the front facade though, it looks amazing and we need way more of that. It's silly to slap vinyl on such a visible side of something they clearly put effort into everywhere else, especially because it's not a party wall and won't ever get covered

Old Posted Today, 2:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleWhiteOut View Post
All they had to do was go with the precast panels that look like stucco and it would have looked fine. Maybe even just a different color. As for the front facade though, it looks amazing and we need way more of that. It's silly to slap vinyl on such a visible side of something they clearly put effort into everywhere else, especially because it's not a party wall and won't ever get covered
Yeah, especially after they wrapped the first floor and lower cornice.

Old Posted Today, 3:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleWhiteOut View Post
t's silly to slap vinyl on such a visible side of something they clearly put effort into everywhere else, especially because it's not a party wall and won't ever get covered
Actually looks to be fiber cement/Hardiplank, which is decidedly a meaningful step up from vinyl in terms of a more polished look. But your overall point stands: full masonry is much more desirable from an aesthetic point-of-view.

Old Posted Today, 3:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanRevival View Post
Actually looks to be fiber cement/Hardiplank, which is decidedly a meaningful step up from vinyl in terms of a more polished look. But your overall point stands: full masonry is much more desirable from an aesthetic point-of-view.
Correct. Looking at the CDR submission for the other development (the white one), it also seems to use Hardiplank on the other facades.
Agreed that it's better than vinyl, but that's not saying much.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development