HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment

Old Posted Yesterday, 4:52 PM

Quote:
Portland City Council to vote on Keller Auditorium plan

The Portland City Council will take up a resolution next week to develop two "Broadway-capable" venues, avoiding a prolonged closure of the aging Keller Auditorium, according to the council agenda posted Friday.

The resolution would move Portland State University’s plans for a new theater venue forward, while also allowing for continuous operations at the Keller.

The council in August delayed a final decision on the future of the 100-year-old Keller, directing city staff to work with PSU and Halprin Landscape Conservancy, which was formed by several downtown developers, on “a collaborative solution that combines their respective projects.” Halprin was advocating a competing proposal to renovate the existing downtown auditorium, while PSU proposed building a new one several blocks away.

The existing venue has structural deficiencies, making it unlikely to survive a major earthquake, a seismic report from the city found. Renovating it would be disruptive, however, as Broadway shows, Portland Opera and Oregon Ballet Theatre all perform on the stage on a regular basis and construction would take about 19 months.
...continues at the Portland Business Journal ($).

Link to agenda item.

https://bsky.app/profile/maccoinnich.bsky.social

Old Posted Yesterday, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
I love the idea of two theaters but hopefully they each have their own focus. Over time, both will get plenty of use.

Old Posted Yesterday, 10:39 PM

If I'm being cynical, I can't help but wonder whether this is just an effort to kick the can down the road to the future mayor / council. As much as I'd love to see two Broadway capable venues, I'm skeptical that there's demand that for that. Even if there were, any potential sources of funding (TIF proceeds, visitor taxes, state bonds, etc) are going to have other asks of them in over the next few years, including for the soon-to-be publicly owned Moda Center and sports concept at the Expo Center.

https://bsky.app/profile/maccoinnich.bsky.social

Old Posted Yesterday, 11:52 PM

Quote:
If I'm being cynical, I can't help but wonder whether this is just an effort to kick the can down the road to the future mayor / council. As much as I'd love to see two Broadway capable venues, I'm skeptical that there's demand that for that. Even if there were, any potential sources of funding (TIF proceeds, visitor taxes, state bonds, etc) are going to have other asks of them in over the next few years, including for the soon-to-be publicly owned Moda Center and sports concept at the Expo Center.
I agree. I read several weeks ago in - I believe the Willamette Week - that the Halprin Landscape Conservancy, was putting a lot of pressure on the city council. By deciding to go forward with two, they don't have to make a decision.

https://www.wweek.com/news/2024/08/0...of-the-keller/

Old Posted Today, 1:38 AM
A before E

Quote:
Honestly, I think most important decisions should be can kicked since this council shouldn't be making long term commitments.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment