HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Sep 17, 2024, 1:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL123 View Post
I personally prefer piece meal over cookie cutter. I appreciate the variety even if it ends up a bit less cohesive.
Agreed. Imagine if one crappy developer had full control of the project, hiring one architect; RLAVillage.

This should give the area a partial sense of organic growth.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2024, 2:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post
Given that the city and developers laid emphasis on how great their transit plan was for this area (by adding a single terrible bus route), it's funny how the renders show lots of private cars, but not one red bus.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2024, 2:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuniau View Post
Given that the city and developers laid emphasis on how great their transit plan was for this area (by adding a single terrible bus route), it's funny how the renders show lots of private cars, but not one red bus.
This neighbourhood has future ghetto vibes. I guess there will be frequent busses if that happens.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2024, 12:32 PM

Overview of Wateridge from Harley613.

https://ottawa.skyrisecities.com/for.../#post-2145228

Old Posted Oct 2, 2024, 12:47 PM

^ They have lots of really nice park, decent density...and that's about it

Last edited by SL123; Oct 2, 2024 at 12:58 PM.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2024, 2:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL123 View Post
^ They have lots of really nice park, decent density...and that's about it
Very little surface parking. Retail units (that are so far empty). Fairly narrow streets. Far from perfect, but far better than I expected.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2024, 2:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Very little surface parking. Retail units (that are so far empty). Fairly narrow streets. Far from perfect, but far better than I expected.
Schools yet to come. I wonder if plans include a community centre? The incorporation of the veterans' home and the substantial amount of public housing seem positives (at least in theory).

Old Posted Oct 2, 2024, 2:36 PM

So many pointless stupid setbacks.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2024, 2:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Schools yet to come. I wonder if plans include a community centre? The incorporation of the veterans' home and the substantial amount of public housing seem positives (at least in theory).
Hope they'll get a proper community centre. But yes, happy to see a mix of incomes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuniau View Post
So many pointless stupid setbacks.
Certainly more than it should be, but walking down those streets, it's not that bad.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2024, 6:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Has future ghetto written all over it and adding the public housing of course only adds to that risk. The density is good but it's so weird we are building this kind of denisty so far from any transit or really anything.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2024, 6:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOWetal View Post
Has future ghetto written all over it and adding the public housing of course only adds to that risk. The density is good but it's so weird we are building this kind of denisty so far from any transit or really anything.
Where else would you put public housing? Seems like a good place, mixed in with medium and high income folks. "Ghettos" usually form where it's all low income housing.

Lack of transit is an issue. The Mayor's Task Force under O'Brien had a dashed line along Montreal up to the base, but otherwise I've never seen any other suggestions of decent transit in the area. If we build the Kettle Island Bridge with bus lanes to connect La Cité Rapibus and Blair O-Train, the area could have decent connectivity.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2024, 9:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOWetal View Post
Better transit on Montreal Rd (some day, perhaps), along with a supermarket on that section of Montreal Rd would make a big difference.

Why there? Because there was available.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2024, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Where else would you put public housing? Seems like a good place, mixed in with medium and high income folks. "Ghettos" usually form where it's all low income housing.

Lack of transit is an issue. The Mayor's Task Force under O'Brien had a dashed line along Montreal up to the base, but otherwise I've never seen any other suggestions of decent transit in the area. If we build the Kettle Island Bridge with bus lanes to connect La Cité Rapibus and Blair O-Train, the area could have decent connectivity.
None of the transit agencies have expressed any interest in running transit over a new east end interprovincial bridge.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2024, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougvdh View Post
None of the transit agencies have expressed any interest in running transit over a new east end interprovincial bridge.
That's not a good enough reason to not future-proof the bridge and leave open every possibility for future transit uses in its design.

Old Posted Yesterday, 2:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougvdh View Post
They wouldn't make plans for a bridge that's currently nothing but studies on a shelf so far, and doesn't have a set location. I have no doubt though that the NCC would demand transit lanes.

Old Posted Today, 1:35 PM

Perhaps an issue with this development is a lack of a sense of place? Its just a clump of different housing. Where's the focal point? The park? Perhaps there should have been an institution centered here, something more public to 'open up' the neighbourhood.

Often times when Ottawa is planning these things, I crave someone to stand up and dictate what each block shall become (further than 'density' carving). A core of train/transit station, arts centre, schools, no through-streets, surrounded by 40 storey towers with forecourts to the station, surrounded by 15 story density and 'arrival streets', surrounded by park land bordered by low-rise and towns. Create a focal point. Maybe I played too much Sim City when I was 10

I agree, there's a risk that 40 years from now it could become an out-of-the way community with plenty of social issues.

Old Posted Today, 3:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTownandDown View Post
Often times when Ottawa is planning these things, I crave someone to stand up and dictate what each block shall become (further than 'density' carving). A core of train/transit station, arts centre, schools, no through-streets, surrounded by 40 storey towers with forecourts to the station, surrounded by 15 story density and 'arrival streets', surrounded by park land bordered by low-rise and towns. Create a focal point. Maybe I played too much Sim City when I was 10
What's the issue with "through-streets"?

Old Posted Today, 3:26 PM

Quote:
Perhaps an issue with this development is a lack of a sense of place? Its just a clump of different housing. Where's the focal point? The park? Perhaps there should have been an institution centered here, something more public to 'open up' the neighbourhood.

I agree, there's a risk that 40 years from now it could become an out-of-the way community with plenty of social issues.

The focal point of the community will be the commercial core focused on Hemlock Road as a future main street for the neighborhood. The first commercial spaces are only just being completed now with two pharmacies and a dentist confirmed to be opening so far. The town square (LCol William G. Barker, VC Park) was just opened last month.

Realistically it will be still be a few years before the success of this area can be judged, but given the density there's no reason to believe it won't support a significant number of businesses.

The future connection of Hemlock Road, expected to be completed in the couple years, will also go a long way to connecting the neighborhood to Manor Park and Beechwood.

Old Posted Today, 3:48 PM

Quote:

I worry more about 20 years. If it can thrive for 30 I think that's a success whatever happens. The issue is all this density means original owners often move on and rent out their units and vote at condo board meetings for the cheapest option for everything and it spirals down. Right now you have a great mix of incomes and situations and it can really be a positive force but the long term desireablity of this area is questionable. It's surrounded by pretty cheap SFHs so once it's not new and shiny do people want to live there?

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa