Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Sep 29, 2024, 9:44 PM
cities|transit|croissants

SANTA FE | Adobe, not acrobat

Cirrus in the West Series:
This thread: Santa Fe!
Earlier: Denver, Boulder
Coming soon: Taos, Southern Colorado, Kansas City, Saint Louis

Cute, small, touristy, with a nice old town surrounded by beautiful nature and a lot of sprawl. To my eastern eyes, adobe is like a bizarro ye olde redde bryck, and Santa Fe a bizarro Annapolis: The same basic idea but it totally different packaging. Anyway, it's a fun town in the middle, and art everywhere is certainly welcome. Enjoy the photos.

Palace of the Governor:

The famous Plaza:

Hey you know what Santa Fe's got? Trains, man! Specifically, the New Mexico RailRunner, a nice little regional train between here and Albuquerque that has, in my humble opinion, the best-looking train paint job in America. Putting a bird on it is always a solid idea.

That'll do. Thanks for looking! Enjoy your souvenir peppers!

Old Posted Sep 29, 2024, 11:35 PM

Great pictures!

Santa Fe has some great architecture. In my mind, the suburban sprawl is actually pretty nice, because most of it is in the pueblo architectural style. Suburbs with unique architecture are inherently better.

It is indeed bizarre that there is a place that far west and that far inland with the depth of history as a place like Annapolis or Newport, RI. There are a couple buildings in town from the 1600s, like the Palace of the Governors that you pictured, and more from the 1700s.

Did you eat at the Shed, which is a block away from the Plaza and kind of across the street from the cathedral? It is apparently one of the best restaurants in the US, and is known to be the best place for New Mexican food in the world.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2024, 11:42 PM

Nice photos, thank you for posting. I would like to visit Santa Fe sometime and continue on to El Paso, Marfa, and Big Bend National Park. We visited Santa Fe when I was a little kid but, other than that, that is a part of the country I haven't seen.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2024, 5:07 AM

I almost moved there in 2018. Wish I had. It's a gorgeous place and the surrounding mountains are very scenic (ski run close to the city).

On my last trip there, I stayed with friends in the Aldara suburb. It's nice, with all houses meeting the adobe architecture standard. There is a lot of sprawl. Best part is downtown near the square.

An ex-coworker just moved there, and lives in a suburb south of downtown. He doesn't have A/C (not needed due to the 7,000 ft altitude). The heating comes up through the floor in the winter, which can have some frigid temperatures. Even when it snows, the sun comes out quickly thereafter, and there's rarely a string of consistently cloudy weather.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2024, 7:41 PM
B!tchslapping Since 1999

Child, Annapolis wishes it was Santa Fe.

The food alone...*yum*

Old Posted Oct 1, 2024, 3:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColDayMan View Post
Child, Annapolis wishes it was Santa Fe.

The food alone...*yum*
I enjoyed the Mexican food there. My favorite was in the dining room of what I believe was the La Fonda Hotel by the plaza. My friends and I also had outstanding Italian, but I don't recall the name. It was on a side street just north of the plaza.

Old Posted Today, 1:22 AM
Great White Norf

Green or Red or Christmas?

Thanks for the tour, Cirrus.
How fast does Railrunner go?

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos