HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #401  
Old Posted Sep 30, 2024, 7:51 PM
Architype's Avatar
Architype Architype is online now
♒︎ verified human
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 🍁 Canada
Posts: 14,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
I wish he'd start taking the hair dye down a couple of degrees. It's just a pet peeve of mine.
Are you sure? His father Pierre still had dark hair at the same age, unless he dyed it too.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #402  
Old Posted Sep 30, 2024, 8:23 PM
MolsonExport's Avatar
MolsonExport MolsonExport is online now
Touching grass everyday.
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Otisburgh
Posts: 51,747
My hair is still 99% dark (I'm 55)...although my beard (if I was to grow one) is quite salt & pepper. I have never dyed it, and I never will.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #403  
Old Posted Sep 30, 2024, 11:56 PM
SpongeG's Avatar
SpongeG SpongeG is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Coquitlam
Posts: 40,127
my hair is still dark but my beard is mostly grey or white now.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #404  
Old Posted Oct 1, 2024, 2:49 PM
Innsertnamehere's Avatar
Innsertnamehere Innsertnamehere is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 12,901
you all are lucky, I'm already going grey and I'm still (barely) in my 20's
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #405  
Old Posted Oct 1, 2024, 6:00 PM
Gresto's Avatar
Gresto Gresto is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 5,394
I, too, still have dark brown hair at 49, but my beard, when I let it try to grow (I can't grow a proper beard), is at least half white.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #406  
Old Posted Oct 1, 2024, 7:27 PM
Acajack's Avatar
Acajack Acajack is offline
Gros Méchant Loup
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: SSP Graveyard
Posts: 72,949
Mid-50s and just a tiny bit of grey at the bottom of my sideburns. The rest is still all brown.

Body hair is greying though.

And my beard if I let it grow is a mix of brown, red* and grey.

*The only red hair on my body.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #407  
Old Posted Oct 2, 2024, 9:21 PM
SignalHillHiker's Avatar
SignalHillHiker SignalHillHiker is offline
I ♣ Baby Seals
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Sin Jaaawnz, Newf'nland
Posts: 36,339
Just an aside to check in on your friends. We lost a local drag/queer icon to suicide last weekend.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/in-support-of-jonathan-nichol-aka-reign-michaels

I never knew him well, but he was always welcoming and encouraging at the gym, and the few places I ended up where he was working. The type of person who always gave you a full-teeth smile and five minutes of his time wherever you happened to run into him. A good, kind soul, even in my limited interactions with him, and, to me, that's the best a person can be.

Also, CBC, NTV, VOCM, etc. They've all covered it, which surprised me.

https://ntv.ca/community-mourns-loss-of-drag-performer-reign-michaels/
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #408  
Old Posted Oct 2, 2024, 9:43 PM
ScreamingViking's Avatar
ScreamingViking ScreamingViking is offline
Ham-burgher
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 7,507
I'm almost 54 and I went from red hair as a kid, to mixed brown as a teen, to full brown, and now I'm going white. I look really old when I have a few days of stubble. Greys started creeping in during my mid-20s, and really took over by 40. I didn't mind it so much on my head, but the change in colour of the chest hair was tough to accept. My arms, legs, and eyebrows are the final lines of defence, and that invasion has begun especially above the eyes.

I have a lot of friends who started to lose their hair even in high school, and they now shave their heads. The rest are similar to me.

So if it wasn't one, it would be the other.

Thankfully none of us has gone with colouring or replacement. I'm of the "let it be" perspective. And I had a hair stylist who called my current shade "Arctic Blonde" and there's not much wrong with that!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #409  
Old Posted Oct 2, 2024, 9:47 PM
ScreamingViking's Avatar
ScreamingViking ScreamingViking is offline
Ham-burgher
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 7,507
Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Just an aside to check in on your friends. We lost a local drag/queer icon to suicide last weekend.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/in-support-of-jonathan-nichol-aka-reign-michaels

I never knew him well, but he was always welcoming and encouraging at the gym, and the few places I ended up where he was working. The type of person who always gave you a full-teeth smile and five minutes of his time wherever you happened to run into him. A good, kind soul, even in my limited interactions with him, and, to me, that's the best a person can be.

Also, CBC, NTV, VOCM, etc. They've all covered it, which surprised me.

https://ntv.ca/community-mourns-loss-of-drag-performer-reign-michaels/
This is sad
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #410  
Old Posted Oct 3, 2024, 11:24 AM
north 42's Avatar
north 42 north 42 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Windsor, Ontario/Colchester, Ontario
Posts: 5,935
I’m 59 and only have a few greys on my head, but my beard is about 50% grey now, and I have 2 white eyebrow hairs. I also just got my first grey chest hair about a year ago, I have 5 now, and still 100% brown hair everywhere else.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #411  
Old Posted Oct 3, 2024, 12:30 PM
MonctonRad's Avatar
MonctonRad MonctonRad is online now
Wildcats Rule!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 41,364
Just saw the discussion on greying hair.

I am 67, and my hair is still generally light brown/dark blond, which I think tends to hide the grey which is present (less of a contrast than if my hair was dark), If you look at my hair in good lighting, I think the grey is more obvious, but, by and large, it is well hidden.

My moustache on the other hand is darker, and, clearly more than 50% grey. This bugs me. I have thought about shaving it off.

In general, I look much younger than my stated age. I may be 67, but, I think I look more like I'm 55. I could probably pass for 50 if I shaved off my moustache.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #412  
Old Posted Oct 3, 2024, 7:32 PM
Architype's Avatar
Architype Architype is online now
♒︎ verified human
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 🍁 Canada
Posts: 14,082
fade to grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Just saw the discussion on greying hair.

I am 67, and my hair is still generally light brown/dark blond, which I think tends to hide the grey which is present (less of a contrast than if my hair was dark), If you look at my hair in good lighting, I think the grey is more obvious, but, by and large, it is well hidden.

My moustache on the other hand is darker, and, clearly more than 50% grey. This bugs me. I have thought about shaving it off.

In general, I look much younger than my stated age. I may be 67, but, I think I look more like I'm 55. I could probably pass for 50 if I shaved off my moustache.
That sounds familiar, I am also around your age, and what is left is not grey, except the beard, it's a matter of genetics. People are also surprised when they learn my age. I have friends 10 years younger and more, who are grey but won't dye it. It seems to be a badge of honour.

Last edited by Architype; Oct 5, 2024 at 7:03 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #413  
Old Posted Oct 4, 2024, 12:12 AM
1overcosc's Avatar
1overcosc 1overcosc is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Eastern Ontario
Posts: 12,377
Appearances can be deceiving with age. My parents are both in their early 60s and were born in the same year. My mom looks very young for her age, but my dad does not. You'd think there was a 10-15 year age gap between the two of them if you just met them and didn't know their ages.

But my dad is in better health it seems. My mom is already starting to get some mobility issues and has had some health problems come up recently; while my dad still moves like he's in his prime and in seemingly perfect health.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #414  
Old Posted Oct 4, 2024, 12:15 AM
SpongeG's Avatar
SpongeG SpongeG is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Coquitlam
Posts: 40,127
I was wondering if this has been happening in other parts of the country. A number of intersections around the Vancouver area have made turning right at a red light no longer allowed.

I often see people at other intersections where it is still permitted also just sitting their waiting for a green light which is very annoying, just turn!

I also hate being the first one at that light in the right turn lane especially when there is no traffic at all cause I fell like people are going to get pissed off.


Reply With Quote
     
     
  #415  
Old Posted Oct 4, 2024, 12:22 AM
ScreamingViking's Avatar
ScreamingViking ScreamingViking is offline
Ham-burgher
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 7,507
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
I was wondering if this has been happening in other parts of the country. A number of intersections around the Vancouver area have made turning right at a red light no longer allowed.
It's happened here in Hamilton along major street corridors, especially the one-ways. There are advance pedestrian "walk" signals.

A number of pedestrian fatalities spurred the change. Near where I live there's a no-right-on-red restriction and I have had — honking at me to turn before the light is green (usually they don't even have their turn signal on, so it's not like I'm holding them up if they're going straight on through the intersection). I guess sign awareness is not a universal thing.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #416  
Old Posted Oct 5, 2024, 9:31 PM
SignalHillHiker's Avatar
SignalHillHiker SignalHillHiker is offline
I ♣ Baby Seals
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Sin Jaaawnz, Newf'nland
Posts: 36,339
NYT has rediscovered us, and this time it's not breathless surprise that we have coffee shops and urbanity (which is cute and acceptable from NYC, obviously, not even complaining):



https://www.nytimes.com/2024/10/05/world...e&referringSource=articleShare&sgrp=c-cb
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #417  
Old Posted Oct 8, 2024, 12:38 PM
kwoldtimer kwoldtimer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: La vraie capitale
Posts: 26,251
UofT professor Geoffrey Hinton has been awarded the Nobel Prize in Physics, shared with a professor at Princeton U. He's the 7th Canadian to win the Nobel Prize in Physics since 1990.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #418  
Old Posted Oct 8, 2024, 3:46 PM
harls's Avatar
harls harls is online now
Mooderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Aylmer, Québec
Posts: 21,449
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
I was wondering if this has been happening in other parts of the country. A number of intersections around the Vancouver area have made turning right at a red light no longer allowed.
Yes, in Gatineau in the last few years these are popping up all over the place.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #419  
Old Posted Oct 9, 2024, 1:44 PM
Acajack's Avatar
Acajack Acajack is offline
Gros Méchant Loup
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: SSP Graveyard
Posts: 72,949
Long-time editorial cartoonist (caracaturiste) Michael de Adder has been let go by the Halifax Chronicle-Herald after three decades with the paper.

He is a legend of the genre in Atlantic Canada and beyond.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #420  
Old Posted Oct 9, 2024, 2:26 PM
MonctonRad's Avatar
MonctonRad MonctonRad is online now
Wildcats Rule!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 41,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Long-time editorial cartoonist (caracaturiste) Michael de Adder has been let go by the Halifax Chronicle-Herald after three decades with the paper.

He is a legend of the genre in Atlantic Canada and beyond.
I'm a big fan of de Adder. A good Moncton boy from Riverview NB. He's been done dirty by Brunswick News, then the Washington Post and now the Chronicle Herald. I'm really pissed off.

His cartoons are deeply insightful and cut to the quick. Pure genius.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 9:29 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.