HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Sep 16, 2024, 5:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Henry_Man View Post
The ultimate solution is for Translink to make Compass Cards available and compatible with Apple Wallet (or the Android equivalent) so you can use your phone or smart watch instead of having to rummage through your wallet/purse. Several cities have done this already (I believe Toronto is one of them as well?).
Most of the time I wear my Compass card on a lanyard - problem solved.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2024, 3:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Henry_Man View Post
The ultimate solution is for Translink to make Compass Cards available and compatible with Apple Wallet (or the Android equivalent) so you can use your phone or smart watch instead of having to rummage through your wallet/purse. Several cities have done this already (I believe Toronto is one of them as well?).
They're testing out Cubic's new mobility app so I think it's just a matter of system upgrades/testing for them to get that functionality. I actually prefer a card than having to drag out my phone.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2024, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyburger View Post
They're testing out Cubic's new mobility app so I think it's just a matter of system upgrades/testing for them to get that functionality. I actually prefer a card than having to drag out my phone.
I heard they'll have to convert the card from the stored value format to something with transactional databases, unless they're gonna give us the option of having the card storing the value on the device.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2024, 2:47 AM

I can't wait until I can just tap my Apple Watch as someone who is disabled and has trouble getting my card out to scan.

Also bus drivers assume everyone in a wheelchair is poor and says you don't need to pay. I feel very insulted when that happens.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2024, 10:30 PM

Reading this morning that by the time it's built, Capstan Station will have taken longer to build than the entire Canada Line did.

Ron.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2024, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewfBC View Post
Reading this morning that by the time it's built, Capstan Station will have taken longer to build than the entire Canada Line did.

Ron.
Canada Line took just under four years and Capstan started three years and a month ago.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2024, 5:18 AM

Quote:
That's the difference between:

[a] Having a team assembled with the skills to build multiple stations who can take advantage of economies of scale and overlapping phases on different stations at the same time vs. one station which has to bring in and acclimate workers as needed for each phase of construction; and

[b] Having unfettered access to a construction site vs. trying to build something around an active running line.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2024, 5:50 AM

Not to mention the ongoing global supply chain issues.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2024, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madog222 View Post
Not to mention the ongoing global supply chain issues.
And the fact that a lot of experienced tradespeople retired or changed careers during the 2020 lockdowns

Old Posted Sep 21, 2024, 3:32 PM

For comparison Lansdowne Station started construction around Spring 2008

https://canadalinephotos.blogspot.co...&by-date=false

They seemed to have finished the majority of the construction in a year.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2024, 8:05 PM

Anyone reckon an AI powered security camera at faregates calling out fare evaders and putting their photo on a wall of shame would work?

Old Posted Yesterday, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Mark V Trains
Testing and commissioning of Train 1 continued in Q2 with increased in-system testing during nonrevenue hours. Multiple qualification tests have been completed on Train 1, including the Vehicle OnBoard Computer (VOBC) Automatic Speed Control, Onboard Communication System, and Train Management System. Test results are showing reliable performance, indicating that the systems and equipment are operating as expected.

Train 2 was nearing completion of its 20,000 km endurance testing at the Kingston test facility. This trainset is on schedule to be shipped to our Burnaby maintenance yard in Q3 where the team will receive the train and prepare it for testing and commissioning. Teams continue to prioritize adequate track time to successfully test and commission Mark V trains.
Train 3 is undergoing routine and dynamic testing in Kingston and remains on scheduled to be shipped to Burnaby towards end of Q3 2024.

According to the latest Mark V testing results, we expect the first train to enter service either late in 2024 or early in 2025. By the end of 2025, current projections indicate we will have 12 Mark V trains in-service. This will be subject to continued testing and monitoring of performance.
Quote:
• Community Safety Officers (“CSOs”) – The third class of CSOs will graduate at the end of September 2024. They will begin deployment in October, joining the graduates from Classes one and two (thus fulfilling the full CSO Pilot Program
complement of 24). The CSOs are part of the regular police service delivery and assigned to the four patrol squads and may assist the Targeted Mobile Enforcement Unit. Part of their duties does include fare enforcement and enforcement of the Greater Vancouver Transit Conduct and Safety Regulation.
Quote:
The substantial increase in Fare Infraction Notices (“FINs”) and Provincial Violation Tickets from 2024 Q1-Q2 to 2023 Q1-Q2 is mostly attributed to the deployment of the new CSOs, whose duties also include enforcement of the Greater Vancouver Transit Conduct and Safety Regulation and issuance of FINs. CSOs prepared 64% of all FINs for the 2024 Q1-Q2 period, with two classes of CSOs now being operational. It is noted that there also was a 73% increase in Greater Vancouver Transit Conduct and Safety Regulation offences from 1,289 in
2023 Q1-Q2 to 2,228 in 2024 Q1-Q2.
https://www.translink.ca/about-us/ab...d-of-directors

Old Posted Today, 2:02 AM
Transit User

Quote:
Originally Posted by madog222 View Post
Canada Line took just under four years and Capstan started three years and a month ago.
What about the fact that 19km long Canada Line took under 4 years and 6km extension of Broadway subway will now take close to 7 years. Empire State Building took 1 year and 45 days for comparison...

Must be all that productivity that modern technology brought... sigh...

Old Posted Today, 2:38 AM

The first world no longer works 50+ hours a week for pennies - zero people died building either line (five less than the Empire State), so there's that.

Old Posted Today, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migrant_Coconut View Post
The first world no longer works 50+ hours a week for pennies - zero people died building either line (five less than the Empire State), so there's that.
IIRC one person died constructing the Canada line

Old Posted Today, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cganuelas1995 View Post
IIRC one person died constructing the Canada line
I remember one person died building the Millennium Line. It was in the Lougheed Mall area when laying the elevated concrete sections into place.

Ron.

Old Posted Today, 2:02 PM

Quote:
I remember one person died building the Millennium Line. It was in the Lougheed Mall area when laying the elevated concrete sections into place.

Ron.
On the Canada Line project, a crane driver died in 2008 in an accident that occurred during the construction of the bridge over the Fraser River.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure