Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext
Out of curiosity, didn't you recently buy a house? Presumably then you found some value to owning your own rather than a share in some multifamily arrangement?
|
I don't owe you any details of my life but I have indeed bought a house where I currently live. However, it's not the housing form that I was after, it was the land. Very few Vancouverites are in the position that I am to be able to bury a huge amount of money in one asset, so for the good of society and the economy it's better if housing was more accessible to everyone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaddieB
Burnaby is preparing something on freehold row homes, which is great. I would love to live in one.
|
Unfortunately, Vancouver has had legal freehold row homes in many areas of the city for many years now. In that time I believe the only 3 that have ever been built are at the corner of Cambie and 33rd. Why bother with a land assembly when you don't get all that much extra density to build out? Likely the only reason rowhouses were built there was because they were able to subdivide one lot into three. Might as well just lobby for a CD zone to build midrises when you have to go through the pain of a land assembly otherwise.
For the record, I love the concept of freehold rowhouses as well, but worldwide they're a very suburban concept. When all market forces seem to indicate that the economically viable land assembly housing form in all of Vancouver and Burnaby is midrises and up, we need the suburbs to really set up for that housing form to be viable.