HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Sep 28, 2024, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
I’ve literally sat at the Kafka’s in Rainbow Park for an hour and watched the non-flood of bikes trickle by.

This morning I watched a more substantial number move by Science World but more than half were lycrabros cosplaying Tour de France in matching spandex outfits. Not commuters or “taking cars off roads” etc etc.
Again, if you're concerned about the lost of vehicle lanes, Richards has TWO lanes for parking. Somehow two out of four lanes being for parking is fine to you, but god forbid there be a bike lane!

There's also the problem of Richards bike lane not connecting much to anything. It is only connected to other bike lanes on Pacific, one side of Nelson, Smithe, and Dunsmuir. That's only four of he thirteen roads that intersect into Richards. Vancouver needs a protected bike lane network that isn't extremely fragmented to see good bike ridership.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2024, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexus View Post
I rode 10th Ave. for four years between UBC and Burnaby, and I’d say it’s a much more pleasant experience than if a bike pathway went to go along Broadway. I support Ford’s vision.
theres also increased negative health impacts for riding on major roads. i cant find the report now, but it found the bikers who road on arterial roads had higher particulate matter embedded deeper in their lungs. diesel particulate matter was a big one. since youre biking, you breath deeper and harder, so the particles get deeper into your lungs, etc.

not to mention its just nice to not be walking/biking on a road next to buses, trucks, cars in general.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2024, 12:28 AM

I agree with your pollution bit and not denying it...but whose fault is that. Seems like if one mode of transportation is causing health issues...

Regardless, as I said, Toronto does not have enough parallel side streets for that towork well enough. I would say that Vancouver doesn't either on some stretches like parallel to 41st for example.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2024, 1:03 AM

By the same token, if a receptive City Council were to try and connect all the various laneways between 39th/40th and 41st into one continuous bikeway, I doubt anybody would object loudly. But it's cheaper/easier/politically convenient/etc to pick a fight with traffic and buses instead.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2024, 5:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaddieB View Post
...Toronto does not have enough parallel side streets for that towork well enough. I would say that Vancouver doesn't either on some stretches like parallel to 41st for example.
I use the 45th Ave bike route for east/west journeys across town. It's not super convenient to 41st if you're going relatively short distances, but 41st doesn't have that much in the way of commercial destinations. As a way to get from the east to the west side of the city 45th Ave works great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migrant_Coconut View Post
By the same token, if a receptive City Council were to try and connect all the various laneways between 39th/40th and 41st into one continuous bikeway, I doubt anybody would object loudly. But it's cheaper/easier/politically convenient/etc to pick a fight with traffic and buses instead.
You don't need to have an official bike route to find a decent alternative. For a couple of years I biked regularly from the neighborhood of Gladstone and Kingsway to Fraser and Kingsway and found that a good way to go was to take the Gladstone bike route to 22nd Ave and then forge my own path along 22nd and then the lanes on the north side of Kingsway.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2024, 8:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aberdeen5698 View Post
You don't need to have an official bike route to find a decent alternative. For a couple of years I biked regularly from the neighborhood of Gladstone and Kingsway to Fraser and Kingsway and found that a good way to go was to take the Gladstone bike route to 22nd Ave and then forge my own path along 22nd and then the lanes on the north side of Kingsway.
Not disagreeing, but if the goal is to get traffic out of the way of the bikes, then there's no better way than to close off the road.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2024, 4:59 PM

Quote:
Again, if you're concerned about the lost of vehicle lanes, Richards has TWO lanes for parking. Somehow two out of four lanes being for parking is fine to you, but god forbid there be a bike lane!

There's also the problem of Richards bike lane not connecting much to anything. It is only connected to other bike lanes on Pacific, one side of Nelson, Smithe, and Dunsmuir. That's only four of he thirteen roads that intersect into Richards. Vancouver needs a protected bike lane network that isn't extremely fragmented to see good bike ridership.
Where did I say two lanes of parking was fine with me? And I've said repeatedly it is ridiculous that at times two of Seymour's far busier four lanes are used for parking. That's a city cash grab for meter revenue - say they don't want cars but whore the space out for parking revenue. And the boneheaded removal of parking minimums will make it worse.

Look at the W 10th bike route Lexus mentions. The goal should be to get parked cars off such a route and allow a safer bike route. Many of those buildings are going to be redeveloped and it would have been a perfect time to ensure residents wouldn't park on the street. but no, unrealistic planners and politicians beholden to developers ensured that more cars will end up circling around looking for parking instead.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2024, 6:00 PM

I'll agree with you on that. At least we haven't sold our parking spaces to a foreign country like Chicago did...yet.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2024, 4:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMD View Post
As a side note, Richards is a really nice street, and the bike lane just enhances it all the more. One of the few on the east side of downtown that can compare favourably to the West End streets, in my opinion.
Yeah it's really nice to walk down and cycle down. The trees provide some nice shade and greenery, and the separation from traffic by the parking lane and bike lane help make it feel calm.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2024, 4:38 PM

Quote:
I've had the exact same thought today. How many bike lanes would you need for them to become cherished integral parts of our city? Like the sea wall or Skytrain. I imagine that would happen once protected bike lanes were everywhere (not just downtown) and actually connected the city together, rather than a disconnected mess like it is now. I imagine once you get to about 15% ridership it would explode in popularity.
They aren't perfect but I wouldn't describe them as a "disconnected mess" either. Certainly downtown and in central areas they are great.

I don't think they need to be on every street either.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2024, 4:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
I’ve literally sat at the Kafka’s in Rainbow Park for an hour and watched the non-flood of bikes trickle by.
But what does that mean? Did you count pedestrians and cars too? How many is enough to justify the road lanes, bike lanes, and sidewalk?

Old Posted Oct 1, 2024, 5:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
But what does that mean? Did you count pedestrians and cars too? How many is enough to justify the road lanes, bike lanes, and sidewalk?
You didn't seem to be so inquisitive when someone said there was a steady flow of cyclists on a bike lane. Just saying.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2024, 5:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyburger View Post
You didn't seem to be so inquisitive when someone said there was a steady flow of cyclists on a bike lane. Just saying.
Wow, what a zinger.

I'd love traffic counts of all modes. It might shut a few people up.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2024, 1:54 AM

Old Posted Oct 11, 2024, 3:10 AM

Here's the high res boards with a lot more details.

I was just going to suggest this and it was in the notes

Quote:
Potential conversion of the 1000 block of Melville Street to one-way eastbound to reduce conflicts between all road users. This change is being explored with the addition of a northbound left-turn signal at Burrard and Dunsmuir Streets.
https://syc.vancouver.ca/projects/du...oards-2024.pdf

And the Shape Your City page

https://shapeyourcity.ca/dunsmuir-melville-upgrades

Old Posted Oct 11, 2024, 4:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Dunsmuir Bike Lane extension
I love that this connects to the Coal Harbour seawall beyond the convention centre. Half the time I use the Dunsmuir bike lane it's to access Stanley Park, and this makes it so much more direct than turning north on Hornby and then having to navigate the pedestrians in the bike lane around the convention centre.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2024, 3:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aberdeen5698 View Post
I love that this connects to the Coal Harbour seawall beyond the convention centre. Half the time I use the Dunsmuir bike lane it's to access Stanley Park, and this makes it so much more direct than turning north on Hornby and then having to navigate the pedestrians in the bike lane around the convention centre.
Yep the connection to the seawall is the best part. And at the school is also a perfect spot.

Something E-W through Gastown is about the only thing missing now.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2024, 3:45 PM

Excited for this! Plus the Bute Greenway connection to make it another section of the grid.

Agreed about the need for a Gastown connection - Connect Maple Tree Square to Burrard please!

Last edited by idunno; Oct 11, 2024 at 6:50 PM.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2024, 5:13 PM

I'm surprised nobody posted anything about this:

[IMG]burrard22 by bcborn, on Flickr[/IMG]
my photo

Old Posted Oct 11, 2024, 6:55 PM

The counter is broken?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure