HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Sep 18, 2024, 11:12 PM

Tulane receives its biggest ever gift, $160 million for the school of public and tropical health. This is in addition to $100 million given to them in the past by the same family (Weatherford family, an Ohio family. The gift is in the name of somebody who graduated from Newcomb-the women's college at Tulane). Article says that this will help the school of public and tropical health move into the old Charity building. I guess that means some of the money is going towards that redevelopment.
https://www.nola.com/news/education/...qMX-_CExOud9vw

Old Posted Sep 18, 2024, 11:58 PM

That’s great to hear. But question - since Charity is technically no longer a hospital, will Tulane change the name or leave it as is ?

Old Posted Sep 19, 2024, 1:18 AM

The nola.com article isn't very clear, but I do not think this was a $160 million dollar gift. I think the donor has given $160 million over her life. I'm not discounting the importance or impact, but this isn't a onetime $160m donation. Tulane's article makes this clear: https://news.tulane.edu/pr/tulane-un...aking-support/

Nola.com article also noted "A spokesperson said Weatherhead's donation would not impact the outcome of the Charity project." Sounds like the Charity deal is still in question, although Tulane has repeatedly insisted they are committed. Frankly, if not developed, an abandoned building next to their new downtown campus is a real problem - meaning there is more than one reason to make it happen.

I hope they incorporate some green space in the redevelopment to make the area feel more like a campus. Even a rooftop plaza/garden only accessible to students would improve students experince. Right now that area is rough.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2024, 1:21 AM

Glad to see this project moving forward: https://bizneworleans.com/broadmoor-...wharf-project/

Also, there was a mobile crane working next to the old archdiocese building on Howard. Hopefully that project has restarted although it looked like they may have been just working on rooftop cellular antenna

Old Posted Sep 19, 2024, 2:59 AM

Man I think the south market district waiting on plaza tower decision

Old Posted Sep 19, 2024, 3:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDot View Post
That’s great to hear. But question - since Charity is technically no longer a hospital, will Tulane change the name or leave it as is ?
I don't know. It could end up being called something like Tulane School of Public Health- Charity campus/pavilion etc.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2024, 3:25 PM

with one more delay, only 1 day, Octavia at Caesars has finally opened, the gaming options, slots, tables and bartop video poker were not for play as of last night, hopefully ready now, or at least when I get there tomorrow lol

friend sent me some pics last night, hes a vertical pic taker but any pics better than no pics lol

Old Posted Sep 19, 2024, 7:27 PM

Yay, another study:

Canal Street was once a jewel of New Orleans. A new plan hopes to restore its former glory.

On Thursday, New Orleans' City Council ordered the City Planning Commission to conduct a fresh study aimed at finding fixes to some of Canal's long-running issues. The Planning Commission will look at how to improve walkability, fill vacant upper floor lots, expand lighting, usher in new businesses and make other improvements to Canal's downtown corridor — the area between Claiborne Avenue and the Mississippi River.

The study is one in a series of recent revitalization plans that have all sought similar fixes.

It seeks to build, in fact, on a 2018 probe commissioned by then-City Council member Jason Williams into ways to improve Canal Street's downtown corridor. Among the new study's goals will be an effort to answer whether recommendations from the 2018 effort were fully implemented, and if not, what barriers emerged.

https://www.nola.com/news/politics/i...b7a9f963d.html

Old Posted Sep 19, 2024, 8:22 PM
-

Everyone here can answer the problems for them and no study needed. Wish they would stop wasting money or redundant studies that anyone with half a brain could answer for you.
Clean up the trash and the homeless and enforce the laws we have on the books for things like panhandling, urination, etc.

Repave the street and bring it down a lane so its not so wide and unfriendly. A much greater police presence and easier parking could help too. The only real success has been the short term rental thing. The foot of canal has been upgraded for sure but its really middle section thats awful and always the site of shootings on a monthly basis. Tulane seems to be helping finally to improve upper canal but still a ways to go. Now no need to waste money on some stupid study

Old Posted Sep 19, 2024, 8:53 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
Everyone here can answer the problems for them and no study needed. Wish they would stop wasting money or redundant studies that anyone with half a brain could answer for you.
Clean up the trash and the homeless and enforce the laws we have on the books for things like panhandling, urination, etc.

Repave the street and bring it down a lane so its not so wide and unfriendly. A much greater police presence and easier parking could help too. The only real success has been the short term rental thing. The foot of canal has been upgraded for sure but its really middle section thats awful and always the site of shootings on a monthly basis. Tulane seems to be helping finally to improve upper canal but still a ways to go. Now no need to waste money on some stupid study
Right? I'm sure it will cost millions of dollars and tell them the exact same thing the last 5 studies would tell them. Then we can have another study in 5 years to see if anything from this study was implemented

Old Posted Sep 19, 2024, 9:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post

Repave the street and bring it down a lane so it’s not so wide and unfriendly. A much greater police presence and easier parking could help too. The only real success has been the short term rental thing. The foot of canal has been upgraded for sure but it’s really middle section thats awful and always the site of shootings on a monthly basis. Tulane seems to be helping finally to improve upper canal but still a ways to go. Now no need to waste money on some stupid study
Whenever I visit- other than the riverfront I try to avoid Canal St. So much wasted potential there and really an eye sore.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2024, 9:32 PM

Canal could benefit from rezoning and/or efforts to develop multi level bars like on Broadway in Nashville. The street and location is already tourist dominated. Not that I particularly love Broadway in Nashville, but its better than what we have now...

Also agree on land narrowing, there are so many cars double parked the full roadway is rarely open anyway. Right now its so wide that its not pedestrian friendly.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2024, 1:22 AM

Mannnn can you imagine if they changed the zoning !! Like to build bigger ! Omg

I feel like the hard rock ruined everything

Old Posted Sep 20, 2024, 10:23 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco96 View Post
Mannnn can you imagine if they changed the zoning !! Like to build bigger ! Omg

I feel like the hard rock ruined everything
such and eyesore and probably will be for such a long time because of lawsuits

Old Posted Sep 20, 2024, 12:34 PM

It's one of the oldest buildings in downtown New Orleans. A new owner has renovation plans.

https://www.nola.com/news/business/b...e=featured-top

The Bank of Louisiana building on St. Charles Ave., one of the oldest in the Central Business District, has been purchased by New Orleans builder Ryan Gootee and two partners who plan to renovate parts of the historic structure.

Gootee, his business partner, Michael DeGruy, and local attorney Richard Roth bought the four-story building for $1.5 million earlier this month. They plan to spend a still undetermined amount on repairing its plaster façade and updating its interior.

The building, which dates to the 1850s and sits on a high-profile corner at St. Charles Avenue and Gravier Street, is the latest historic property in the heart of the CBD to change hands in recent years. Unlike most of the others, however, the building will not be converted to apartments, short-term rentals or a hotel, Gootee said.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2024, 1:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooperpaz View Post
Yay, another study:

Canal Street was once a jewel of New Orleans. A new plan hopes to restore its former glory.

On Thursday, New Orleans' City Council ordered the City Planning Commission to conduct a fresh study aimed at finding fixes to some of Canal's long-running issues. The Planning Commission will look at how to improve walkability, fill vacant upper floor lots, expand lighting, usher in new businesses and make other improvements to Canal's downtown corridor — the area between Claiborne Avenue and the Mississippi River.

The study is one in a series of recent revitalization plans that have all sought similar fixes.

It seeks to build, in fact, on a 2018 probe commissioned by then-City Council member Jason Williams into ways to improve Canal Street's downtown corridor. Among the new study's goals will be an effort to answer whether recommendations from the 2018 effort were fully implemented, and if not, what barriers emerged.

https://www.nola.com/news/politics/i...b7a9f963d.html

I stayed on Canal Street a few weeks ago. As an outsider, my immediate impression is the city (or parish, or economic development group, etc) could do tax breaks for residential conversions of upper floors, do a road diet to slow down cars, improve crosswalks, and improve signage and boarding for the streetcar.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2024, 3:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivtim View Post
I stayed on Canal Street a few weeks ago. As an outsider, my immediate impression is the city (or parish, or economic development group, etc) could do tax breaks for residential conversions of upper floors, do a road diet to slow down cars, improve crosswalks, and improve signage and boarding for the streetcar.
100%. You should get the city to pay up for your "study"

Old Posted Sep 20, 2024, 5:21 PM

I feel like the city should focus on doing the small basic things along Canal St. like repairing damaged sidewalks, fixing damage light poles, landscaping and repaving/restriping the street. Simple maintenance. Also having a more visible police presence. The foot traffic is there. The upper end is not attractive for quality businesses to open up and that is partially due to how it looks. Sketchy and dirty. The old State Palace theatre is an eyesore too.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2024, 8:08 PM

https://neworleanscitybusiness.com/b...e-sales-stats/

Not specifically development related but about the local real estate market. You should be able to read it without a subscription if you still have a free article for the month. Days on market has increased since last year but metrowide average sales price YTD is up 6.5% and Orleans is up 6.3%. Compared to 3.1% nationally. Might tell us something about the local economy especially considering the insurance situation. And the fed did go ahead and go through with the full 50 point cut so we'll see what happens from here.

Last edited by Chris from N.O.; Sep 20, 2024 at 8:54 PM.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2024, 9:49 PM

small story on Octavia, some recycled info and some of the drinks offered along with hours the bar is open

https://www.nola.com/entertainment_l...rce=featured-2

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations