HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Sep 19, 2024, 8:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGK View Post
The province has a request out looking for someone to move the cottages and motel off the property on the corner of Malpeque Road and the bypass. Last I heard is that U-Hall was moving to this property, so I found it weird that the province is having them moved…anyone know what’s up?
A new improved highway would help. That corner is the worst. They are doing something with it but nothing like an over pass. I heard widening & another displaced left! Ugh!! As for what is really going there, a U-haul sign was there so that's what it could be.
I remember an apartment was going in behind the present cottages. A whole lot of opposition from the locals on that idea. As for the u-haul, not a word heard from the locals. Weird!
We'll see someday!

Old Posted Sep 20, 2024, 8:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_cat_eyes View Post
Finally!! They’ve owned this property for 15-20 years. It’s about time they get this project done.
It probably took that long because there is a certain population needed. Summerside is one of the smallest cities in the Maritimes and it took that long to catch up. And that's a small Kent store! At 50,000 sq ft, it's twice as small as the one in Charlottetown. I wonder why they wouldn't build a bigger store as it serves Summerside, western Queens and all Prince Co., same reasoning I guess, especially since there is a larger store 40 minutes away.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2024, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGK View Post
The province has a request out looking for someone to move the cottages and motel off the property on the corner of Malpeque Road and the bypass. Last I heard is that U-Hall was moving to this property, so I found it weird that the province is having them moved…anyone know what’s up?
The province issued a revised statement of work, which includes a PID where they want the cottages and motel relocated to. The province is having them moved to a piece of land it owns on Malpeque Road, across from Petro Canada / next door to where their two six floor apartments are going.

With this update, it’s clear to me that the province purchased the cottages and motels, rather than seeing them demolished to make way for storage lockers. Not a bad idea, they were recently renovated, could be the start of a small tiny home-type community.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2024, 2:59 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Just posted on CCD Canada:

Quote:
MIXED-USE RESIDENTIAL BUILDING, 149 - 151 GREAT GEORGE ST., CHARLOTTETOWN - CHARLOTTETOWN, PE
NEW MIXED-USE RESIDENTIAL BUILDING

Starting Date (estimated): N/A
Size: $12,750,000.00
Stage: 3-Planning or drawing
Published: 2024-09-20
Last Update: 2024-09-20

Work type: New construction
Sector: Private
Category: 4-Residential
Subcategorie: 4B-Residential Development
Disciplines: Architecture, Civil, Electricity, Equipment, HVAC, Building mechanic, Structural, Other

Description:
NEW MIXED-USE RESIDENTIAL BUILDING

Located in Charlottetown, 149 - 151 Great George St., this project estimated at $12 750 000 is in the planning stage. Based on a surface spread over 8 floors, works concern the construction of an 85-unit residential building consisting of apartments with street-level commercial space.

Consultant: INFORMATION AVAILABLE TO SUBSCRIBERS
That would correspond to this proposal:

Old Posted Sep 25, 2024, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just an Islander View Post
I see the Timber Mart out at the old Sears Building changed to a Rona Store. That will be interesting.
I have worked at the old BMR Timbermart and now Rona. Nothing has really changed to much and they say it's going to stay the same for the most part. It is a dealer owned store and not a corporate store. The company that bought us out is from Halifax and own a few other stores Tantalon Halifax Moncton the old Cabellas building opening in a few months and now our store.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2024, 3:29 PM

Apparently the Scotiabank is downtown Summerside will be closing/has already closed. They’re opening a new branch on the corner of Walker Ave. & Granville St. There is also apparently a new Dairy Queen next to this Scotiabank. If anyone is in the area, I’d love some pictures.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2024, 3:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siriusb View Post
It probably took that long because there is a certain population needed. Summerside is one of the smallest cities in the Maritimes and it took that long to catch up. And that's a small Kent store! At 50,000 sq ft, it's twice as small as the one in Charlottetown. I wonder why they wouldn't build a bigger store as it serves Summerside, western Queens and all Prince Co., same reasoning I guess, especially since there is a larger store 40 minutes away.

Well they bought the land right around when they build the Kent store in Bloomfield. Since then there have been so many little towns get a new Kent. Woodstock, Tracadie, Shediac, Riverview, Bridgewater just to make the ones I know about. I’d love to see Irving sell the property downtown, but something tells me to doubt that this will happen.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2024, 3:35 PM

Quote:
A new improved highway would help. That corner is the worst. They are doing something with it but nothing like an over pass. I heard widening & another displaced left! Ugh!! As for what is really going there, a U-haul sign was there so that's what it could be.
I remember an apartment was going in behind the present cottages. A whole lot of opposition from the locals on that idea. As for the u-haul, not a word heard from the locals. Weird!
We'll see someday!
If any intersection on PEI should be turned into a full interchange, it’s one of the busiest in the province. It wouldn’t really be that hard to do. They do have a little bit of extra ROW so there should be room to do this.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2024, 7:57 PM

Stratford High School

The Stratford High School is moving forward and here are a few pictures of its progress. This is just a small part of this $100 million project which will include a wellness centre with two ice surfaces, turf space and potential for gymnastics and curling opportunities. Soccer fields, cricket fields and softball fields are also part of the campus.
Stratford is one of the fastest-growing communities in P.E.I., projected to have a population of more than 20,000 people in the next 10 years, and I doubt it will take that long, so all this will aid the town and help move it from being dependent on its bigger neighbour.

Stratford High School

Old Posted Oct 1, 2024, 1:46 PM

I see the Tim's on University Avenue is getting a Up-Grade.

https://scontent-lga3-2.xx.fbcdn.net...nA&oe=6701E9C4

Old Posted Oct 2, 2024, 3:11 PM

Stratford High School

Rendering of the new school already under construction.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2024, 2:05 PM

Does anyone know where Royalty Maples cottages are going I see they are almost all moved and that U-Haul is planning on building in there.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2024, 3:49 PM

Quote:
Does anyone know where Royalty Maples cottages are going I see they are almost all moved and that U-Haul is planning on building in there.
See my post from Sept 20th.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2024, 12:19 AM

Regarding 503 University Ave Gray Group development, the last time a post was made on their 'X' page was in Aug 2023. Nothing had been mentioned about the 503 University Ave development (formerly Maritime Christian College), not a thing!!
I believe someone on this forum said that they'll sit on the property and let the value increase to get maximum resale value. I believe them!!
The people of this city are dealing with a housing issue, and we don't need stalls and delay tactics to benefit profits. Either they build now or sell. City Hall should have a bylaw, once an approval is made and a permit is given, you have 3 months to start. If it goes beyond that, you have to start the process over.
Something like that!! Suggestions??

Old Posted Oct 8, 2024, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Regarding 503 University Ave Gray Group development, the last time a post was made on their 'X' page was in Aug 2023. Nothing had been mentioned about the 503 University Ave development (formerly Maritime Christian College), not a thing!!
I believe someone on this forum said that they'll sit on the property and let the value increase to get maximum resale value. I believe them!!
The people of this city are dealing with a housing issue, and we don't need stalls and delay tactics to benefit profits. Either they build now or sell. City Hall should have a bylaw, once an approval is made and a permit is given, you have 3 months to start. If it goes beyond that, you have to start the process over.
Something like that!! Suggestions??
I believe it’s real estate speculation; put in the work to get the rezoning though, then find a buyer. I stronger believe that was their plan with Stratford’s “Crossroads” project. Gray Group hired a firm to write bylaw and zoning amendments for the town that created the the densest zoning rules in the province. Now they have land zoned 12 floors as of right, there’s no other land in this province that allows that. What a piece of land to own!

The properties that were rezoned for apartments off Malpeque Road, Hidden Valley I think, those parcels are now for sale. The company had the land rezoned then put them up for sale.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2024, 9:27 PM

Quote:
That land should be used to fix that intersection!

Old Posted Oct 11, 2024, 11:44 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Lots of chatter on Halifax Retales about an imminent announcement of a third Costco in HRM (to be located in Bedford). According to the OP, a decision has also been made for a Charlottetown store too. They just need site selection and land purchase before making the announcement.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2024, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Lots of chatter on Halifax Retales about an imminent announcement of a third Costco in HRM (to be located in Bedford). According to the OP, a decision has also been made for a Charlottetown store too. They just need site selection and land purchase before making the announcement.
I think in his post he says the new HRM Costco is going in Sackville.

Ive also heard the land was purchased in PEI and its going in Cornwall.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2024, 1:55 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladdy View Post
I think in his post he says the new HRM Costco is going in Sackville.

Ive also heard the land was purchased in PEI and its going in Cornwall.
Welcome to the forums.

Yes - Margeson Drive which would be in Sackville. The Bedford Common Business Park was also under consideration, but, was felt to be too cramped, especially if a Costco gas bar was to be added.

So, how good is your source that it is going to be built in Cornwall? The location makes sense in that it would be convenient to the population of western Queens County and to Summerside as well. Do you have any idea about where in Cornwall???

Old Posted Oct 11, 2024, 2:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Welcome to the forums.

Yes - Margeson Drive which would be in Sackville. The Bedford Common Business Park was also under consideration, but, was felt to be too cramped, especially if a Costco gas bar was to be added.

So, how good is your source that it is going to be built in Cornwall? The location makes sense in that it would be convenient to the population of western Queens County and to Summerside as well. Do you have any idea about where in Cornwall???
Well, its PEI, so reliability on sources can be questioned. They mentioned the recently sold parcel of land off of the new Cornwall by-pass. I think it is about 50 acres.

But there has also been a lot of land clearing near the old Sears building. Could be a location too.

Last edited by vladdy; Oct 11, 2024 at 2:32 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces