HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Sep 5, 2024, 7:47 PM

Pretty sure the league has done it before, can't recall the specific circumstance though.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2024, 1:21 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

The women's pro hockey league teams finally have nickames.

Les Sceptres de Toronto

Le Charge d'Ottawa

Le Fleet de Boston

Le Frost du Minnesota

Les Sirens de New York

https://www.rds.ca/hockey/lphf-montr...ire-1.19370116

Old Posted Sep 18, 2024, 12:43 PM

Rogers just bought Bell out of MLSE for $3.5B USD. MLSE is now valued at ~$9.7B USD. Bell will most likely be using this money to pay debt, instead of re-entering the sports world, due to its colossal debt load.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2024, 3:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericmacm View Post
Rogers just bought Bell out of MLSE for $3.5B USD. MLSE is now valued at ~$9.7B USD. Bell will most likely be using this money to pay debt, instead of re-entering the sports world, due to its colossal debt load.
Yeah Bell keeps refusing to cut the dividend when they should have pared it down. I wonder if this will bridge them until rates lower.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2024, 3:45 PM

Quote:
A very small part of that was a disagreement about the purchase of a WNBA franchise (which Kilmer (Larry Tanenbaum) ultimately bought)

Old Posted Sep 18, 2024, 9:21 PM

This has been going on for over a year now, I've posted about it here from John Shannon in the summer of 2023. Next year will be Rogers buying out Tannenbaum's share. Bell also has signed a 20 year rights deal with the Maple Leafs, but who knows if that will change at all with this deal. I wouldn't be shocked if Bell does decide they want to look at another sports property, looking at what Rogers has done with their sports holdings and their other core properties. Everyone looks at Peladeau for the Quebec City NHL expansion, maybe they should be looking at Bell. Or perhaps the longshot MLB return to Montreal. Heck, why not the best NHL expansion market, Toronto? This also gives them a little more heft when it comes to bidding on the Rogers NHL contract that has 2 years left on it.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2024, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djeffery View Post
This has been going on for over a year now, I've posted about it here from John Shannon in the summer of 2023. Next year will be Rogers buying out Tannenbaum's share. Bell also has signed a 20 year rights deal with the Maple Leafs, but who knows if that will change at all with this deal. I wouldn't be shocked if Bell does decide they want to look at another sports property, looking at what Rogers has done with their sports holdings and their other core properties. Everyone looks at Peladeau for the Quebec City NHL expansion, maybe they should be looking at Bell. Or perhaps the longshot MLB return to Montreal. Heck, why not the best NHL expansion market, Toronto? This also gives them a little more heft when it comes to bidding on the Rogers NHL contract that has 2 years left on it.
There is little to no chance that Bell jumps back into sports ownership for a while at least. Their current liabilities (debts expected to be settled within the fiscal year) are almost double their current assets (assets that can easily be liquidated within the fiscal year), compared to Rogers having a similar amount of current assets vs liabilities. Bell has already stated that they will be using the cash to pay debt. They will most likely be fine in the long run though if they don’t junk their credit rating.

I would sooner expect Larry Tanenbaum/Kilmer ahead of Bell to make any new ripples in the Canadian sports landscape, especially if Rogers buys him out of MLSE. His 25% share is currently worth approx $2.5B USD. A buyout would come with a premium and there will be a lot of cash available if he were to choose to reinvest that back into sports. My speculation is that Tanenbaum could be the guy to bring the NHL to Hamilton if bought out.

Additionally, I read another article detailing that Edward Rogers has further plans for MLSE per insider info. There are suggestions that the Blue Jays will be incorporated into MLSE (making it into the largest sports holding company in the world), and that Edward Rogers will pursue an NFL team through personal ownership after the fact (since the NFL does not like corporate ownership). Seems like he has grand ambitions.

Last edited by ericmacm; Sep 19, 2024 at 1:09 AM.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2024, 2:12 AM

Quote:
There is little to no chance that Bell jumps back into sports ownership for a while at least. Their current liabilities (debts expected to be settled within the fiscal year) are almost double their current assets (assets that can easily be liquidated within the fiscal year), compared to Rogers having a similar amount of current assets vs liabilities. Bell has already stated that they will be using the cash to pay debt. They will most likely be fine in the long run though if they don’t junk their credit rating.

I would sooner expect Larry Tanenbaum/Kilmer ahead of Bell to make any new ripples in the Canadian sports landscape, especially if Rogers buys him out of MLSE. His 25% share is currently worth approx $2.5B USD. A buyout would come with a premium and there will be a lot of cash available if he were to choose to reinvest that back into sports. My speculation is that Tanenbaum could be the guy to bring the NHL to Hamilton if bought out.

Additionally, I read another article detailing that Edward Rogers has further plans for MLSE per insider info. There are suggestions that the Blue Jays will be incorporated into MLSE (making it into the largest sports holding company in the world), and that Edward Rogers will pursue an NFL team through personal ownership after the fact (since the NFL does not like corporate ownership). Seems like he has grand ambitions.
The story for the last year has been that in the MLSE partnership, Larry has an exit clause in 2025 and has to sell to the other partners (who is now just a partner). I don't know if at 79 that he is going to try to bring a team anywhere, but I have no idea what the succession plans are with his family or who his partners may be, if any, in Kilmer.

As for Rogers, I think it makes sense to roll the Jays in with the rest. Will they leave it as MLSE at that point, or rename it Rogers Sports And Entertainment or something? I think there is more value in the MLSE name though. It's been no secret of Rogers interest in the NFL over the years. That's going to basically take the entire net worth of this sport conglomerate to make happen, but I don't discount Rogers could do it.

I still don't count Bell out of getting back in to ownership though. I think they even still have a small stake in the Canadiens, although I'm not sure how they were originally allowed to keep that when they bought into MLSE. Rogers has done a masterful job, corporately speaking, of using sports to promote and expand their broadcasting and mobile businesses, and I think Bell will try to replicate that. The Dream for many I think would be a Montreal MLB team but that would take every bit of that $3.5B and then some I think. But a call to Bettman with a fat check and a ready arena in Quebec City also poses some interesting possibilities.

One thing's for sure, it's going to be fun to speculate what all this will mean for the sporting landscape in Canada over the next few years.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2024, 7:51 PM

The new captain of the Anaheim Ducks... lol

Old Posted Sep 24, 2024, 3:09 PM

Flames players don't look ready to accept their fate just yet, outscoring their opponents 18-5 in preseason so far haha.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2024, 4:17 PM
arf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
Flames players don't look ready to accept their fate just yet, outscoring their opponents 18-5 in preseason so far haha.
They are winning the Cup. This year, for sure.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Sep 24, 2024, 4:29 PM

The Calder Cup maybe, they are basically an AHL team now lol.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2024, 4:52 PM
arf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
The Calder Cup maybe, they are basically an AHL team now lol.
They should make a play for Swayman, just because I would like to see Boston suck this year.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Yesterday, 2:30 AM
Community Guy

#Preseason

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Yesterday, 5:16 PM
arf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
#Preseason
#Finally

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada