Old Posted Yesterday, 3:01 PM
Fake News

From Skyrise cities credit Dubbs86:

https://calgary.skyrisecities.com/fo...e.37523/page-2

Old Posted Yesterday, 7:57 PM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Originally Posted by kool maudit View Post
I never liked Le 1000. It is too short to communicate much verticality, and it basically scans as being as tall as its "shoulders".
I think you should walk around the entire building inside and out to get a better appreciation for it next time you're in Montréal.

Maybe not being from Montreal, I see it with a different lens than locals. From certain angles it does indeed look chonky. But when the light hits it just right or from different viewpoints you can appreciate what the architects intended.

For me, the symmetry, seemingly aligned with the dome of Mary, Queen of the World Cathedral is

Old Posted Yesterday, 8:39 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeej View Post
They are referring to any above ground level, not necessarily the designated ground floor. This came about due to Trump Tower Chicago, which has multiple above grade entrances. 214m is the correct height. The tower has above grade building entrances on 2 streets and there is a steep 9m gradient.

https://www.ctbuh.org/resource/height

Finished floor level at threshold of lowest entrance door

Storeys are measured from the designated ground floor, so there is no impact.
I'm aware of the gradient. I'm also aware that the address of the tower is 1000 de la Gauchetiere and not 997 Sainte-Antoine. Lastly, the entrances on Sainte-Antoine appears to be a loading dock and to the bus terminal and not the main entrance with lobby and main elevators banks which is CTBUH criteria as a main pedestrian entrance.

The height of building correlates with the number of above ground floors. If you're going to measure from SS1/ poking above ground than that does impact the number of above ground floors by adding 1 and reducing the number of basement floors.

If the Chicago home boys running CTBUH have made another exception to pad a local tower than so be it. Chicago is unique too. Ground exists on multiple planes. I'm for consistency and all the towers in Canada in Sthe database are measured from their main entrance on their main floor with only a handful, clearly marked exceptions (main floor and main entrance indeterminate) I would treat Wanda Tower differently as the whole neighbourhood exists on top of a 4 or 5 storey above ground parking garage. Including the above ground parking garage in the calculations when it functions as basement levels is disingenuous. Edmonton has a similar conundrum with towers built into the valley's slope.

Old Posted Yesterday, 8:49 PM
video et taceo

I'll take another look next time I am in town, but I just can't get past the sense that this is low-grade PoMo. I'd prefer Messeturm or Charlotte's BoA there, speaking of that era. The latter, coloured differently, might also interact with the Cathedral well.

Although Le1000 is nice in that regard, and that does count against my swipe at the "dated coloring", which works well given the copper and stone of Mary Queen of the World.

It could have been worse...

Old Posted Yesterday, 8:59 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Personally I don't see Le 1000 as being "dated" any more than POMO office towers are dated in general since they're not commonly built anymore. I see it as being higher-grade and a bit more refined than many of its peers of that era that are common in places like Dallas. The colours would bother me if they were the dated POMO rose gold that was common in that era, but that was more in smaller buildings.

Old Posted Yesterday, 9:00 PM
I am the law!

You're too harsh. 2121 Avenue of the Stars is cheap PoMo. Still, it's the star in the greatest Christmas movie of all time.

I don't like the design either. It's restrained standing at attention and too short and stubby for something that phallic. My guess it was designed with 260 plus metres in mind.

Last edited by WhipperSnapper; Yesterday at 9:12 PM.

Old Posted Yesterday, 9:04 PM
Great White Norf

Quote:
I'll take another look next time I am in town, but I just can't get past the sense that this is low-grade PoMo. I'd prefer Messeturm or Charlotte's BoA there, speaking of that era. The latter, coloured differently, might also interact with the Cathedral well.

Although Le1000 is nice in that regard, and that does count against my swipe at the "dated coloring", which works well given the copper and stone of Mary Queen of the World.

That's interesting as I've always thought Messeturm was a European or German interpretation of an American skyscraper but misses the mark. The circular roof with the pyramid spire almost looks tacked on to my eyes. I think it would be a much nicer building without the pyramid topper

Old Posted Yesterday, 9:13 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigs View Post
That's interesting as I've always thought Messeturm was a European or German interpretation of an American skyscraper but misses the mark. The circular roof with the pyramid spire almost looks tacked on to my eyes. I think it would be a much nicer building without the pyramid topper
The pyramid makes it look like it's wearing a dunce cap.

Old Posted Yesterday, 10:39 PM
Fake News

Quote:

How dare you slander ‘Le Batman’!!! I love that building. It’s gothic POMO.

Old Posted Today, 12:17 AM
Look at me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
How dare you slander ‘Le Batman’!!! I love that building. It’s gothic POMO.
Agreed. It's a classic. It's a fantastic tower. It's unique. I dare even say, it's underrated.

Old Posted Today, 12:55 AM

Great shot of Calgary!

I love the Calgary skyline. For portions built after 1980, I think Calgary's blows Tor/Mon/Van completely out of the water. You can actually see the individual buildings with different architectural styles and colours while most of the Big 3 newer buildings are just blue/glass menageries that look like a blob with no distinction.

If it wasn't for the CN Tower and the sheer mass of Toronto's skyline, Calgary would be my favorite by a long shot.

Old Posted Today, 6:14 AM

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada